Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2 or 3 cross spoke pattern?
  • FieldMarshall

Following on from my recent Alfine post, I am undecided whether to go for a 2 or 3 cross spoke build.

Looking at all my other wheels, (mostly purchased from CRC/Merlin but some built by LBS) they are all 2 cross.

However, according to most information on the web, 32 hole wheels should be 3 cross. Expecially rear wheels.

Despite all being 2 cross most of my wheels have stood up to a lot of abuse without any issues, so I am tempted to go for a 2 cross build again. Especially as being a large hub, the spoke/nipple angle will not be great with the Alfine hub if I go 3 cross.

Advice welcomed.

firestarter
    Free Member

are you sure they are 2 cross and not 3 it seems unusual . any pix ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Are you sure they're 2 cross? I've not seen many 2 cross's and my merlin-built wheels have always been 3 cross.

If you get on well without issues I'd go with what has suited in the past, no point in the extra weight and stiffness if you dont need it.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

I'd go check again if I were you, the first cross is sometimes below the level of the flange on the hub.

Oh…and I'd go three cross. Except for perhaps sometimes on the front wheel where I'd consider radial lacing…but it all depends on the intended use of the wheels etc.

FieldMarshall

Dooh.

After posting, I thought I'd check the bike I have at work and yes it is 3 cross. I was missing out the first one close to the hub.

Was hoping to get back in the office in time to edit my post. Damn too late!

Who feels stupid now! 😳

In that case I think I will opt for 3 cross for the Alfine. Plus as the spoke length will be longer, I can go for DT Swiss DB spokes in black.

Thanks for your help.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2 or 3 cross spoke pattern?’ is closed to new replies.