Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2-man tents…
  • alpin
    Free Member

the GF has somehow convinced me that bumming around Greece for a fortnight in August will be more exciting than staying in an apartment in South Tirol, drinking fine red wine and ragging my bike along some of the finest trails i have ever ridden.

already have a tent, but it is over 11 years (WOW!) old and is showing it’s age (and years of neglect). it as served us well over the years seeing 8 months continuous use in Australia (pitching it almost every night) and a few week long trips since then.

it is also a little plump, 2,5kg. which isn’t bad, but not brilliant.

want something that is lightweight, but also sturdy/robust enough to withstand being perched on a mountain in unpleasant weather. 3 season usage, definitely not in winter. enough room to cook (i.e. porch) would be a bonus.

went to a store yesterday and saw some offering from Vaude that weighed in around 1,8kg and cost around 300 notes.

what else is out there?

scotroutes

Your girlfriend wants you to do some bumming, greek style?

Go for it.

dknwhy

Tarptent Stratospire 2. Trekked with it in Iceland. It’s a great tent.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Used vaude stuff for years but not bought any recently as the stuff I have won’t die
    Only issue is the ground sheet is not water proof anymore buts that’s the same with most tents

Did buy a Easton kilo 2p very light 1kg and just about for two in but just seems to suffer with condensation far more than anything else I’ve used

Northwind

Are you going to apply the universal rule of 2-man camping? ie, use a 3-man tent?

alpin
    Free Member

^^ erm…. no?

got a three man tent. good tent with porch (and groundsheet) and easy to put up, but weighs a ton. great for car-camping, though. the blow-up double mattress fits perfectly.

that Tarptent looks impressive!

cheers guys…!

MSP

Good thing about tarptent is that they don’t compromise on size to achieve the weight like most companys. Although I would go for the scarp2 it is double skinned and doesn’t rely on trrcking poles.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Also, have a look at the two links below. Some great tents here, and also check out Uttings which often have huge discounts. You really want to research the arse out of this as its going to be a big spend.

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/two-person-tents-c26
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk

I have a Terra Nova Laser Comp 2 that is great for one, but when two if us use it I take a small tarp and a couple of lightweight poles which I rig up as a porch if the wind isn’t too strong, or set up separately if it is. Makes a huge difference and its only another 500g for the other half or one of the kids to cart. In warmer/drier weather I just use the tarp and a bivi bag, though only solo and NEVER with MrsTBD.

If you don’t want the faff, do look at the 3-man option as lightweight 2-man tents with a porch to cook in are always going to be pretty tight. You can get 3-man tents well under 2kg, though they are going to be more expensive.

peterfile
    Free Member

want something that is lightweight, but also sturdy/robust enough to withstand being perched on a mountain in unpleasant weather. 3 season usage,

Will it just be Greece that you’ll have it perched on a mountain? Do you know what the weather up there is like and terrain?

Unless you’ve got some nice grass, it would be a good idea to go for a geodesic shape. Tunnel shaped tents require guying out for stability, which might be difficult depending on the terrain, and if you want to be happy in unpleasant weather then you’ll definitely want stability. I rarely take a tunnel tent up a mountain unless I know there’s a decent spot to pitch.

Also, being on a mountain, even in summer, can bring weather which would challenge a lightweight 3 season tent. Wind can eat a tent, worth checking with locals what the weather up on the mountain will be like and if it can be fickle, go with a proper geodesic mountain tent. Won’t be sub 2kg though!

gears_suck
    Free Member

Tch! I think you’ll find they’re, eg. Two “person” tent. Just saying…. 🙂

dknwhy

Tarptent stratospire 2 on top of a mountain in iceland. Perfectly stable. Can pitch inner only if it’s hot weather. Can use trekking poles or Tarptent do 2 separate carbon poles instead. Comfortably sleeps 2, can sleep 3 at a push. Double sided entry and porches big enough for a pack each side and space to cook. The Scarp is good too but we were carrying trekking poles anyway. An extra pole and a length of dyneema made it easy to peg out a door for a bigger porch. Check out the vids on You Tube to see the full features.

Untitled by DKNWHY, on Flickr

Teetosugars
    Free Member

MSR Hoop?

Linky…

molgrips
    Free Member

My favourite brand is Marmot.

We just sold a Marmot 3p tent which weighed 2.7kg IIRC, loads of space. Sold it for the 4p version when we had another kid. 4 of us stayed in it quite happily summer before last.

I personally would not bother with ultralight tarp based shelters to safe a kg. You’re not adventure racing are you?

Can pitch inner only if it’s hot weather.

And there are no biting or crawling insects around…

peterfile
    Free Member

And there are no biting or crawling insects around…

The inner is the bit that keeps the bugs out 🙂

AlexSimon

I’m a big fan of the GoLite Hex (or shangri la as I think it’s now called).
    It has one downside for mountain use though and that’s that it really needs all of it’s 6 pegs to be secure. Unlike the partially self-supporting geodesic designs.

I haven’t owned one, but I’ve slept in a couple and their owners love them to bits. Very versatile too (inner/floor/outer all usable seperately) and there are half-inners available from 3rd parties liks http://oookworks.com/

molgrips
    Free Member

Peterfile.. oops, I read that as outer only 🙂

dknwhy

Why wouldn’t you try to save a kilo? That’s the equivalent of a stove with gas and cookware. If you’re planning on trekking around and heading up mountains, extra weight can make life miserable.

wl
    Free Member

I like my Terra Nova Voyager Superlite but it’s pretty cosy with 2 adults, despite being a 2-man tent. Also, last time I used it, it leaked through the top seam in a torrential Scottish downpour – this is probably because I hadn’t yet silicon sealed the seam (which is something TN advise, though it’s a bit cheeky that it’s not factory sealed on a tent of this price, if you ask me). Still, very light tent at 1.5 kg, ok in wind (wobbles and bends but doesn’t break), quality build, porch big enough to cook in when’s it’s wet outside, albeit slightly awkwardly.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t you try to save a kilo? That’s the equivalent of a stove with gas and cookware. If you’re planning on trekking around and heading up mountains, extra weight can make life miserable.

So can compromising on comfort. I notice a good night’s sleep and a convenient comfortable camp more than I notice an extra kilo.

That’s not saying that tarp tent thing is going to be uncomfortable for you of course – if you like it then go for it. However I don’t fancy it – looks like a lot of flappy fabric and I hate not having shoulder room. Also looks like you’d need really good peg placements for it to stay up at all. In some places this can be really hard to get (but not in others of course).

Just my uninformed opinion, from looking at the pic.

peterfile
    Free Member

Also looks like you’d need really good peg placements for it to stay up at all. In some places this can be really hard to get (but not in others of course).

Nah, just make sure you always pitch next to a wall so you don’t have to worry about stability 🙂

dknwhy

@peterfile we were going for a stone igloo but ran out of rocks 😀

gogg
    Free Member

I’ve always used terra nova, specifically the laserlite & quasar (although I took a Solar for a three month trip to africa), but this little beauty looks tempting.

scotroutes

The Tarp Tent design is remarkably flexible when it comes to peg placement – much better than any other system I’ve tried.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2-man tents…’ is closed to new replies.