Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 2 FS Bikes
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Last year I changed my Heckler for a Nomad and a Superlight. I am finding the Superlight a bit flexy and the Nomad a bit over-biked for most of my riding…it seems the Heckler fitted a sweet spot that the other two bikes miss.

Maybe I’ve just got itchy feet but I’m thinking of going back.

Does anyone else have comparable bikes? How does it work for you?

Houns

Get rid of them both and have an LT2

Driller
    Free Member

Interesting.

I’ve got a Superlight and a Heckler. Since I got the Heckler I never ride the superlight, in fact I’ve given it to my GF. Because whenever I go out I want to find stuff to ride off or fly into, and the Heckler gives you the confidence to do that, and you can comfortably ride it all day too.

I’m not planning to enter any races any time soon, I’m not bothered about being first to the top of the hill and I’ve got a hardtail for local hacking so the Superlight doesn’t get a look in.

Before I bought the Heckler I thought lots about where my riding is at and exactly what I want my bike to do, and it seems to fit the bill perfectly. I’m sure an LT2 would do the trick too, but somehow it just doesn’t float my boat aesthetically, and when you walk in the garage you’ve got to look at your bike and think – wow, I’ve just gotta go ride that, now!

Interesting what you say, because I always thought the Nomad would be the only thing to tempt me off my Heckler.

SC rules!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Get another Heckler and we can (all) be Heckler Buddies again.. :mrgreen:

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Specialized SX built burly and a Rocky Mountain Edge built up pretty light. I don’t think there is a full sus that fulfils both of the roles these bikes play. bit of a pipe dream in my opinion

Daffy

Ibis Mojo at 26lbs does everything I want of it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LT2’s are gopping!

The Nomad is hardly any heavier frame-wise but I did build i up a little heavier. It does climb funny in the granny gear.

Just seems silly to have bikes sitting around not getting ridden much, especially when I don’t have much storage space.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m about to do what you did. Been using a Fivespot for everything from XC racing to DH for a few years now, and have decided to get two bikes each with a more focused purpose. So, new Intense Uzzi VP on the way for the bigger stuff, and shopping around for a lightweight trail bike…probably either Mojo or Blur LT carbon, something like that. I’ll probably still keep the Fivespot too though just because I can’t bear to part with it. For me, because I do quite a large variety of types of riding, one bike, even a really versatile one, doesn’t quite cut it.

z1ppy

cynic-al – Member
    LT2’s are gopping!

Couldn’t agree more, though they may ride very nicely.

Loved the superlight that I tried the other week, I wouldn’t be in a rush to get rid of it, try sorting out the flex with bolt thru front and rear axles (9mm and 10mm)?
    Though a Nomad I tried several months ago, seemed total over kill for anything that wasn’t pointing steeply downwards…

Heckler or the LT2 (even if it does look like crap), might be your best options. I’d suggest it depends on your preference suspension wise (single pivot or 4 bar).

higgo
    Free Member

I’ve got a Blur 4X with 160mm forks and a Whyte JW-4.

Very different bikes, each very good at what I use them for.

I’ve also got a 456 with Pikes which is probably the ‘middle ground’ between them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

pedahead – that is exactly what I anticipated, but I’m not doing any DHing or xc racing….just normal “fun” riding (and not enough of that)

markd
    Free Member

Come in today and buy a Zesty off me.

GW
    Free Member

Al – I’m not surprised you’d find the Nomad too much bike if it’s just for normal “fun” riding, as for the superlight, what do you weigh? and how is it spec’d, in particular, what forks, rims, bars stem?

D0NK

I’ve a heckler mk2 (125mm, coil shock) and I wouldn’t dream of getting rid. If owt happens to it I’d be tempted by the LT2 but may end up getting another heckler, still think 150mm is too much for most riding here (yeah I know lt2 is only 10mm shorter)
    Got an etsx that is a lot lighter and is a great bike for long rides but not as much fun as the heckler.

Does anyone have an LT2 and a coil heckler? How do they compare?

pedalhead
    Free Member

pedahead – that is exactly what I anticipated, but I’m not doing any DHing or xc racing….just normal “fun” riding (and not enough of that)

Yeah if I went with one bike for general fun riding (“trail” or whatever it’s called these days), I reckon I’d be looking at a 4 or 5 inch sub 30lb jobbie. Might be a bit clichéd, but probably the most versatile option imho. In fact, demonstrated by how much my Fivespot has coped with…DH in the Alps, Gorrick XC & millions of different grades of “fun” rides, without feeling completely useless at any of them.

cynic-al
    Free Member

GW – I expect you’ll say I’m overbiked….but here goes.

Nomad was intended for odd DH days, Inners, Alps etc. Superlight is built fairly light, rev’s, stans olympic rims & light tyres, stem & bars are os & not particularly light though (most of that kit had been used on the Heckler so it’s a valid comparison). I’m 12.5 stone.

GW
    Free Member

ok. trade the SL in for a Heckler and get a proper bike for the DH days and Alps. 😛
    BTW I find a shorter travel bike noticably faster than a DH bike on a lot of DH sections at inners 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

That’s what I seem to be talking myself into…without the DH bike.

ruminant
    Free Member

Why don’t you go for a chumba vf2 or a xcl, had a quick blast on a xcl recently. Suprisingly light and agile bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d rather play it safe with something I know/trust…and can get SH

hillsplease

Heckler nice fun and comfy- doesn’t really like to go pedally fast, but like gravity fast very much. Also, after 3 yrs tohught I’d best check the pivot bearing – they’re fine, but liked being rotated fully.

My Blur LT likes pedally fast best. It’s the choice for longer days out, I also think it’s probably ‘worth a gear up’in pedalling terms. Not so keen on gritty winters and it takes about and hour to strip it down for an occasional bearing twiddle.

They’ve both got pretty much the same build, even down to the TALAS for and finishing kit. For fun riding with entertaining descents <3hrs – Heckler.

bomberman
    Free Member

I can ride my MK2 heckler all day long. new wheels and cassette have brought it in at just over 28lbs and i can feel the difference. the only compromise i’ve got at the moment is i’m running an old TALAS fork with 130mm travel and sometimes crave an extra inch (don’t we all 😉 ). but aside from that it’s just a joy to ride. Ace bike.

Why not sell up and build yourself a custom heckler?

ruminant
    Free Member

erm whats “and can get SH”

markd
    Free Member

Second Hand. SH.

ruminant
    Free Member

oh right cheers

don’t know what your budget would be but I’d seriously consider a XCL If I was looking

It was only a quick ride but I was very impressed, it with the gussets it should take a decent alps run with ease

Stu_N

I’ve got a Rush and a Prophet MX. It’s a good combo.

Rush is built up fast and light and is a superb endurance race bike, great for trail centres and a good long distance mile muncher. It replaced a Spesh FSR120 and is a much better bike than that in every way you can imagine.

Prophet is a good all rounder too – before I got the Rush it got ridden quite a bit, after not so much. Have carved it a new niche with Float 36s, now it’s the daddy again. Great for tech riding in Spain, summer Alps trips, and big days out in Scotland. Also good for confidence, some steps and chutes near home I’ve primed on the Prophet and then gone back and seconded on a lesser bike.

At the moment I like having both and there is enough to differentiate them – if I had to choose one I reckon a Prophet with Pikes and light wheels would do 90% of stuff 90% as well as the Rush or MX, and I could keep my heavy wheels and 36s for the fun stuff. Fortunately I don’t have to compromise at the moment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seems what I am not liking is working prefectly for you stu – you presumably ride alot more and get the use out of them!

What travel are those two?

chakaping
    Free Member

Trance and Reign here.

The 4.2in Trance (with 120mm bolt-through fork but built very light) is perfect for fast XC, trail centres and all-day rides that aren’t mega rocky.

The 6in Reign (with 36 Talas fork) can handle the same sort of stuff as your Nomad, and will be coming to the Alps with me, but is built pretty light usually.

I don’t think I’d be so happy with a 5in bike trying to cover both those bases.

Rickos
    Free Member

Rush is 110mm. Prophet 140mm.

12.5 stone? Skinny bu&&er!

rolfharris
    Free Member

I have the Anthem X with 4″ and the On One with 7″ and the On One is going- I never use it as I don’t get to DH enough, perhaps once a month.

My solution is, oddly enough, to do what you’ve done with a burlier full susser for DH, Alps, Laggan when i fancy it that will do normal riding and DH pretty well. It’s only a 5″ travel Enduro, though, so not as beefy as a Nomad.

I can justify that next to the Anthem because I race so often, if I didn’t race then I’d not have the Anthem and just this 5″ bouncer and my hardtail.

Justifying the hardtail and the bouncer is another matter, though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did this with hardtails, built 5″ bike for everything, now cant justify anything else!

I could get a full susser, and probably will, its undoubtebly faster, ive hit a point where whichever line i chose and however confident in the corners i try to be the hardtail just won’t go any faster. Although it is a nice feelign to be able to do 90% of my favourite trails off the brakes and borderline out of controll.

Just need to find one that ticks all the boxes. Leaning towards a prophet, althoygh by the time i get arroud to it it will have to be secondhand. and it will only be 10mm more up front………

Stu_N

Al, Rush is 110 each end, Prophet MX 160 front/ 140 rear.

Wasn’t much to choose between the two when the Prophet had 140 Pikes on it but now it’s been Burled Up [TM] with the 36s it’s back in favour.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘2 FS Bikes’ is closed to new replies.