Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 2 days of trail centre riding plus waterside camping – where to go?
  • nigpay1
    Free Member

hi,

i've got a weekend free to ride for 2 days and camp. i want a peaceful, waterside campsite close to both rides. I'm also looking for trail centres only. Any help appreciated?!

thanks

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

Sod the trail centres and go to the lakes, stay on coniston and ride Walna Scar and Dunnerdale one day and Iron Keld and gatesgarth the next.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Has to be peebles or innerleithan – I don't know the campsites but from the map close to a river

amodicumofgnar

Campsite just outside Dolgellau at the abbey is on a river and you got the mawddach cycle way right down to Barmouth if you want waterside riding. Alt there is campsite at Garth Isaf about one mile NE of Arthog at the southern end of Barmouth Bridge. Havent stayed there for a while but bottom field is right on the estuary. I've ridden into C-y-B from both. Climax at Corris is short drive away.

mij
    Free Member

Innerleithan camp site is excellent, small field right next to river, on caravan site with great facilities, and 5 mins ride from the trails. It's called Tweedside caravan park.

hidetherum
    Free Member

Try the Galloway Activity Centre at Loch Ken. Camping, cabins and a tipi for hire. Good for Mabie, Dalbeatie and Ae is 45 mins away. The accommodation is on the side of the loch. The activity centre offers canoeing, sailing, laser quest and a climbing wall.

Marthrone at Mabie
    Not actually by the water but an ideal location. Marthrone have bunkhouse accommodation, a yurt and camping. There is a solid fuel sauna and hot tub. The iron age round house replica is for hire too. The site is located within Mabie forest, about 1 km from the trail head. Sensible prices and a good location for Mabie, Dalbeatie and Ae

Have fun

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nant-y-arian (or whatever) camp by the sea!

rolymo
    Free Member

sandy hills campsite just a couple of miles south of dalbeattie. Handy for the 7 stanes. Right on the stunning coast and clean sandy beach. Best campsite ive been too and not crowded like a lot of others.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Another vote for the sandyhills site, access to Dalbeattie is minutes away and Mabie is a quick drive along the road.

Some fantastic walking along the beach and take a torch to explore the caves.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There's a waterside campsite in Ambleside and riding from the doorstep.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Or Keswick camping and caravan club site, in the town, on the edge of the water, great riding – not trail centres though.

pault41
    Free Member

Northumberland ,KIELDER WATER, campsites water , trail riding to your hearts content.!!

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

you can camp in the field bt the dales mountain biking centre , cycle around swaledale / reith and have a swim in the river afterwards- v.cooling

MrSparkle

Waterside camping? D'yer like midges then?

yoda
    Free Member

Hoathwaite farm at Torver near Coniston.
    No toilets ( you must take your own,there are emptying facilities), no showers ( there are taps dotted about though) but you can camp a stones throw from the lake.
    It's a short but steep ride to grizedale, there's the Walna scar routes, also the bike path upto hodge close and langdale is very trail centre-esque.

glenh
    Free Member

Waterside camping? You like getting eaten alive then?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘2 days of trail centre riding plus waterside camping – where to go?’ is closed to new replies.