Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 2 days near holmfirth – recommendations?
  • sadexpunk

doing an airbnb this weekend with the wife and pooch, near holmfirth.

saturdays the only full day and as we’ve got the dog we’re expecting to spend most of the day walking.

any dog-friendly pubs or places to go while we’re there?

ta

ton

catch fish restaraunt is good, on woodhead road.
    the nook for good ale.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Depends which side of Holmfirth you are but the Huntsman in Millhouse Green is very dog friendly and does a nice Sunday lunch. 6 hand pull real ales and nice folk. Proper old fashioned local pub.

sadexpunk

its east of holmfirth around jackson bridge and scholes.

thanks 🙂

pistonbroke
    Free Member

About 10 mins drive to Millhouse, pub is on the main road A628 and backs onto the Trans Pennine Trail which is a nice walk from Dunford Bridge.

sadexpunk

oh tone tone tone, just been in the nook, the ales were LUVVLY!!

had a nook chocolate stout, the wife had elderflower. id been looking for a decent chocolate stout since having one in the House of Trembling Madness in York, but none had been as nice til today.
    thanks for the heads up.

we want to take the pooch for a decent walk tomorrow, and langsett/cut gate isnt far away. obviously dont want him getting in the way of them annoying mtb riders, is there a dog friendly route around that area? somewhere he can roam off his lead?

thanks

ElShalimo

Drive over to Digley Res and walk around there (don’t leave anything on display in the car). You could walk there from Holmfirth to make it longer?

EDIT: If you want some really nice stout, next time get over to Buxton Tap House in Buxton. Some of the Buxton Brewery stouts are like a dessert in a glass.

ton

oh tone tone tone, just been in the nook, the ales were LUVVLY!!

I don’t know much mate………but I do know ale. nice one 😆

Tracey

You will be fine with the dog. Parking up a Langsett Barn or the layby or carpark nearer to the Flouch roundabout are all free. There are loads of paths in the woods and the walk can be extended up onto the moor at the far side of the woods either up and back or circular to bring you back round the reservoir and to Langsett. It’s worth it to keep going up onto the moor and turning left at the green post and coming back down into North America.
    I wouldn’t worry too much about the bikes, you will be lucky to see any at this time of the year.

Wagon and Horses in Langsett village is bike, walker and dog friendly and they do a mean meat and potato pie.

slightreturn
    Free Member

Butchers arms in Hepworth. Decent grub n beer. A a great setting. Only ten mins walk from Jackson bridge

Plus boot n shoe in scholes is good. Superb barmaids also.

slightreturn
    Free Member

I’ll be in butchers arms on Saturday.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

+1 for Butchers arms, excellent pub.

Keep your pooch on a lead, even around the suggested Digley res, lots of sheep about and fed up of seeing dogs chasing sheep.

“Oh my dogs never done that before”

munrobiker
    Free Member

Butchers is good, if you’ve already ticked off The Nook (my place to drink when I was younger, and still go on Christmas Eve).

Walk wise, if it’s calm and bright tomorrow I’d recommend parking off the A635 and going along Black Hill to Holme Moss. Do some googling and you might even get to find some old aircraft engines.

I know nowhere round there where you could safely let a dog off a lead (not even Langsett of Cut Gate) that’s a decent walk.

sadexpunk

and the walk can be extended up onto the moor at the far side of the woods either up and back or circular to bring you back round the reservoir and to Langsett. It’s worth it to keep going up onto the moor and turning left at the green post and coming back down into North America.

not sure where the parking is that you mean, and its ok to take the dog that far is it?

Butchers arms in Hepworth. Decent grub n beer. A a great setting. Only ten mins walk from Jackson bridge

+1 for Butchers arms, excellent pub.

I’ll be in butchers arms on Saturday.

i may well be in there then, if you see a couple with a ickle jack russell be sure to come over and say hi.

Keep your pooch on a lead, even around the suggested Digley res, lots of sheep about and fed up of seeing dogs chasing sheep.

“Oh my dogs never done that before”

actually he really is the softest dog you could meet, hes been off his lead before near cats, sheep and pigs even and only gives them a cursory glance. but i know others dont like it so we keep him on his lead if itd upset folks.

I know nowhere round there where you could safely let a dog off a lead (not even Langsett of Cut Gate) that’s a decent walk.

thats a shame, wanted to let him have a good run about.

thanks for the info.

scuttler

Welcome to the Holme Valley, looks like you’ve got plenty of recommendations. I’ll add Oil Can cafe in Hepworth for brekkie, and if you want the quieter side of Langsett head towards Swinden and Hordron on the map then follow the river down. Dog and Partridge pub on the A616 is good. Loads of walks up around Scholes and Hepworth. Views from Hullock Bank above/east of Jackson Bridge are fab!

Bring your bike next time!!

sadexpunk

Bring your bike next time!!

did the holme valley ride a good few years ago, dont think id be up to it now, just got 1 seldom used singlespeed left for biking purposes and i think the hills would kill me now. tis a beautiful part of the country, love it.

do you know of any walks where you can let the dog off the lead? i think we should have prepared better and bought an OS map. next time…..

Tracey

All the parking is between the village and the Flouch roundabout, A616, on the main Sheffield to Manchester road. Length of the walk should be OK for the dog, our Border Collie runs at the side of the bike round it . There are enough paths and trails to make it as long or short as you want it.

sadexpunk

did the holme valley ride a good few years ago,

sorry, thought about it after, it was the colne valley challenge, not holme valley. not too far away tho eh?

well the pooch has been spoiled today, did digley reservoir this morning and round langsett/north america this afternoon. brought fond memories flooding back from biking cut gate a few years ago.

rang dog and partridge to see if the dog’d be allowed in but no. wife doesnt fancy the butchers arms cos apparently the ‘food reviews are shocking’, so not sure yet where we’ll end up for a meal and a beer later.

thanks a lot for all the advice, its been lovely here.

unovolo
    Free Member

The Oil Can Cafe in Hepworth is worth a visit too, have a good nosey roun dthe vintage cars and bikes in there(and next door) whilst having your fill of grub.

sadexpunk

well we popped into the butchers arms to suss it out, lovely little place with a real fire. could have happily spent the evening there. bit pricey, (near on £15 for meat pie and chips 😯 ) we’re not used to those sort of prices 😀 im also starting to get used to handing over a tenner and only getting a few pence change from 2 drinks!! we ended up getting fish and chips from compo’s cafe…..

just googled that oil can cafe and realised we’ve driven past it a few times and thought it was a garage or something. looks intriguing and id like to have a look around but i dont think the dogs allowed. ill ring em shortly to find out for sure…..

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Good choice on compos the best fish and chips by far, anyone who says hollow gate is off their head .
    Change from a tenner, in one holmfirth pub I remember ordering two pints and had to chip in an extra quid that was about 5 years ago.

Try the boot and shoe, should get change ..

sadexpunk

Plus boot n shoe in scholes is good. Superb barmaids also.

Try the boot and shoe, should get change ..

cottage is only a few feet from the boot and shoe, another nice pub with open fire. not much change from a tenner there either, altho mrs ex-p did have one of her poncey gins. unfortunately no ‘superb barmaids’, just one bald landlord 😀

sadexpunk

back home now, but popped into the oil can cafe for a look before we left. what a fantastic place!! talking to the woman there, seems that people come from as far as new zealand just to see the place, wow!
    on reflection it would have been a real shame if we’d left and not visited, some cracking retro cars, bikes, clothes, a real diverse selection of gear there.
    thanks for the heads-up, and thanks for all the advice, its really made our weekend.

Tracey

Glad you and the dog had a great time. We had our works Christmas do at the Oil Can. Live soul band and great food made it an excellent evening.

Been up onto Cut Gate from Langsett today, all the car parks were full and even the side roads were packed. Trail conditions were better than I expected although going back down North America was a sludge fest.
    Loads of walkers out with dogs, everyone seemed cheerful and chatty.

Only saw two other bikes that were been pushed up North America.

Unfortunately the extortionate price of beer has now reached Yorkshire

scuttler

Good choice on compos the best fish and chips by far, anyone who says hollow gate is off their head .
    Change from a tenner, in one holmfirth pub I remember ordering two pints and had to chip in an extra quid that was about 5 years ago.

Click and collect at Catch FTW. Sure it’s a bit more expensive but the quality is superb the best and if you do go early you can have a decent beer. If it’s not busy it’ll take ten mins from ordering but they’ll cook to a particular time so great if you’re on your way home from a day out and want to do a drive-by on the way home.

Definitely beats standing in that queue at Compos wondering why its soooo hard to process, cook and serve orders for fish and chips whiilst maintaining maximum contempt for the punters. Who’d-a-belived it would be busy on a Friday tea time….?

http://catchseafood.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Takeaway-Menu.pdf

Also available at Greetland and Ponteland.

Winner-winner-chippy-dinner!

@sadexpunk – sorry I didn’t reply on dog questions but I’m not a doggist/dogger 😉 Turns out from today’s walk though (so for next time), the woods around Holme Styes reservoir near Hade Edge up out of Scholes are great for off-the-lead walks. Loads of paths and tracks through the woods but I’m normally only there on my bike when there’s no one else around – this afternoon everyone but us had a dog off the lead (no bother).

sadexpunk

thanks mate, ill bear that in mind if we come to the area again.

as i mentioned before, we had a great weekend, lovely cottage and scenery, cracking walks around the reservoirs, made me nostalgic for biking cut gate again, or in fact any of the good old peaks rides. but….as i dont have a geared bike these days, plus my old mtb mates all went ‘roadie’ and my biking fitness has all but disappeared, it may never happen again. ill just have to be content with walking the dog there 🙂
    also loved the oil can cafe and the chocolate stout in the Nook, almost worth visiting again just for that!
    one thing that surprised me was that i didnt really rate holmfirth itself. was expecting something a bit like bakewell, lovely little market town with the ‘last of the summer wine’ scenery. found it to be a few busy roads with lots of traffic backed up and a fair few lorries driving through, narrow pavements so you always felt a little too close to that traffic and no pedestrianised areas to look at quaint little shops and cafes. that was just from my small snapshot of the place tho.

thanks again for all the info ladies and gents.

munrobiker
    Free Member

See, I’m from Holmfirth and now live just down the road from Bakewell and don’t really see why you’d visit either as a town. Bakewell is prettier, but there’s nowhere decent to eat. Holmfirth is great to live in but if you’re just pottering around there’s not actually much to do. Neither really have particularly interesting shops.

The answer in both is to head to the hills.

Richie_B

Bakewell is prettier, but there’s nowhere decent to eat.

You mean Ye Olde Original…., Ye Older Original, and Ye We were definitely the first… don’t meet your expectations when it comes to fine dining? 😕

scuttler

Holmfirth is great to live in but if you’re just pottering around there’s not actually much to do

Agreed – when we have people visit we don’t potter around the village and we don’t oversell it to them. Deffo head for the hills and the WY Sculpture Park or Saltaire and York if they’ve come from further afield. But I like living here.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘2 days near holmfirth – recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.