Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2 Day trip – FOD area – Where to go on second day?
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’ve got a weekend pass around the middle of February so I’m trying to decide where to go. I’m based in Southampton and don’t want to drive too far – South/Mid Wales is fine, as is FOD.

We’re looking at going to FOD on one of the days but not sure where to go for the other. Any recommendations which maximise on quality riding and minimise travel?

Ideally, we would like somewhere which isn’t too boggy and has some reasonable ups and downs.

In addition, what’s FOD likely to be riding like if the weather hasn’t been excellent? Attraction of FOD is the ability to do the XC trails and also have a play on the DH trails but not so much if it’s going to be ankle deep mud…

Or, should we head somewhere else? If so, where?

creamegg
    Free Member

Welsh trailcentres in order of distance from FOD:

Cwmcarn
    BPW
    Afan
    Brechfa

stumpy01

^ What creamegg said. Just depends how far you want to drive. If it was me, I’d be nipping to Cwmcarn.

iffoverload
    Free Member

the blue XC trail is pretty weatherproof
    the red gets a bit gloopy here and there ut drains well as do the DH tracks

+1 for Cwmcarn, the Cafall is more interesting than the Twrch IMO, but some bits can be kinda slippery when wet

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Ta.

Is there anywhere natural nearby which holds up in the wet?

Rode cafall recently and don’t fancy bpw without the pre booked uplift.

jimw
    Free Member

The Malvern hills are less than an hours drive from FOD
    The main bridleways are OK in the wet

jamesfts
    Free Member

Is there anywhere natural nearby which holds up in the wet?

There is a lot of very good local stuff around FoD/Monmouth/Ross on Wye etc but the problem is finding it without local knowledge.

Malvern hills are similar, some very good riding but finding it could be a problem. The main stuff over the top is pretty dull and full of walkers on a weekend – does ride well regardless of weather and you can’t really get lost though.

Best bet for easy to find all weather riding is going to be trail centres as mentioned above… apart form BPW as it’s a bit shit*.

*slightly tongue in cheek and only in my opinion – a lot of people seem to love the place!

tomkerton
    Free Member

Malverns?

Edit -Too slow. And yes crappy at the weekend with walkers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2 Day trip – FOD area – Where to go on second day?’ is closed to new replies.