• This topic has 198 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mrmo.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 199 total)
  • 2 cyclists killed by LGV, in Cornwall
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

but it not the road that kills someone, i don’t see lumps of tarmac jumping up and assualting people. It is how the driver chooses to behave on a piece of road that is at issue

Precicely, and DC’s encourage some people to wrongly become complaceant and not look for slow moving objects.

Saying certain roads aren’t dangerous sounds like the NRA saying guns don’t kill people, people kill people, whilst both are strictly true, I’d not stand in front of a gun whether the person behind it was an idiot or not!

bencooper
    Free Member

Is it half of them?

It’s quite possible for most drivers to be above average if there are a few really, really bad drivers.

Above median, on the other hand…

mrmo
    Free Member

and DC’s encourage some people to wrongly become complaceant and not look for slow moving objects.

but it is not just DCs, it is all roads! Drivers get complacent on roads they know.

poly
    Free Member

IanW – Member
    Poly- You shouldnt blame the victim, they were doing what they had every right to do.

WOW, where did I *blame* the victim. I have found myself on not disimilar roads when riding in places I didn’t know well and where I needed to get from A-B on a particular timescale. I certainly don’t blame the victim. Now I don’t know the A30 but if I were the authority responsible for the road and was encouraging cyclists to do LEJOG (which is presumably good for local tourism) then I’d be investing in infrastructure and signage which helps cyclists find safe efficient routes. I blame the system. Relying solely on a human being to prevent accidents is never going to work, so you either accept the residual level of risk or you change the system so that the human being’s behaviour is no longer so critical.

pingu66 – I assume so in reality he has enforced rest breaks so should be able to concentrate on his driving.

He’s allowed to drive for 4.5 hrs without any break… …not sure I could genuinely concentrate 100% on any task for 4.5 hrs solid.

peyote – the judiciary should be the force to make it happen, at the moment it’s being at best complacent and at worst encouraging this carelessness resulting in death

what sentence for DBDD would cause you to change YOUR driving behaviour? The reality is nobody expects it to happen to them therefore the sentence is irrelevant as a deterrent. If you want to focus on judicial intervention you need to catch (and prosecute) people for relatively minor incidents that don’t result in death.

aracer
    Free Member

what sentence for DBDD would cause you to change YOUR driving behaviour? The reality is nobody expects it to happen to them therefore the sentence is irrelevant as a deterrent. If you want to focus on judicial intervention you need to catch (and prosecute) people for relatively minor incidents that don’t result in death.

A custodial sentence for killing on the roads as default might help. We’re not in general talking DBDD here, as that does normally get custodial, but plenty of cases of DBCD which don’t. I find it hard to believe the the current widespread leniency doesn’t encourage people to be less bothered about their driving standards. You are right that a crack down on more minor offences would help – that is after all part of the “could have been me” attitude, as general driving standards are appalling poor, and most people are just lucky that they haven’t killed somebody.

Steve77
    Free Member

I’ve cycled on the A30 doing LEJOG and it’s genuinely terrifying being passed by HGVs at 60mph. I’d be very surprised if anybody ever cycles on it twice

Once you’re on it though the trouble is even if you realise you’ve made a terrible mistake you’ve probably booked 10 B&Bs for the rest of your trip to John o’Groats and arranged to meet people on specific days along the way so because there’s no alternative route that will get you to wherever you have to be that night you just have to suck it up and stick with it

3dvgirl
    Free Member

Once you’re on it though the trouble is even if you realise you’ve made a terrible mistake you’ve probably booked 10 B&Bs for the rest of your trip to John o’Groats and arranged to meet people on specific days along the way so because there’s no alternative route that will get you to wherever you have to be that night you just have to suck it up and stick with it

there is an alternative route, really near buy as well… thats the sad thing 🙁

neilthewheel

I don’t know the road in question, but in my experience of long-distance touring, the most dangerous and frightening roads are 2-lane dual carriageways with central barriers and no hard shoulder. Imagine a lorry in the nearside lane, being passed in lane 2 by another lorry. Now imagine this combination bearing down on you, cycling along in lane 1. Where is lorry 1 going to go? Lorry 2 can’t move out any further because of the central barrier.
    On the other hand, if the road has a hard shoulder it can be used as a cycle lane and life is much safer if not significantly more pleasant.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I just opened this thread as I saw it on the news last night and was shocked and felt awful for the victims and families.

Then I read the comments on the dangerous road and whilst I can’t comment on that, Ive just returned from driving down the A24 between Leatherhead and Dorking, (where there are wide cycle paths on each side) and saw a road biker in all the gear, head down on the main dual carriage way. He was totally oblivious to a lorry approaching him at 50mph, who was being overtaken at about 60mph by a van. The lorry was forced to break hard to get down to the 15-20mph the cyclist was doing and await the van to overtake him.

Now, you can say its legal, but its also bloody stupid and puts drivers backs up who may be less generous to other cyclists in future.

poly
    Free Member

Rockape – (where there are wide cycle paths on each side)

When was that last swept? My experience of cycle paths is not good. Loose surface, litter, broken glass etc.

sobriety
    Free Member

A24 between Leatherhead and Dorking

If that’s the section I think it is the the lanes were badly cracked and potholed last time I rode it, which was admittedly a couple of years ago. It was ok if you were bimbling/on a mountain bike but at 20 odd mph on a racing bike it’d be a nightmare.

Which brings us back again to the provision of facilites for cyclists, insofar as they’re generally inadequate and often downright dangerous.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I was heading down to Cornwall on the A30 last year, and saw two cyclists on the opposite carriageway. My thoughts then were that it’s not a road i would choose to cycle on, its effectively a motorway and full of traffic at this time of year.
    Some do though, most far more experienced riders than me so who am i to say?

My thoughts with the families of the deceased.

crazy-legs

Ive just returned from driving down the A24 between Leatherhead and Dorking, (where there are wide cycle paths on each side) and saw a road biker in all the gear, head down on the main dual carriage way.

I bloody hate cycle paths like that. There’s this assumption that cyclists HAVE to use them but cycle paths are almost always designed for speeds of about 10mph and in most cases (when doing 20+mph) it’s actually safer and more convenient (for the cyclist) to use the road. Blame piss-poor provision for vulnerable road users, bad road design and the “motorist comes first” attitude of town planners for that lot.

We had a really bad road rage incident a few weeks ago when a white van cut us up and the passenger got out and was screaming abuse cos we weren’t using the shared use foot/cycle path (which was covered in leaves and debris and schoolkids walking home). That wasn’t on an A-road, that was just a residential street. It would have been far better for all if the council simply hadn’t bothered with that dreadful piece of “cycle provision” (unless it was intended for the kids riding to school?). If it wasn’t there, we wouldn’t have had the road rage and the council would have saved themselves a few tens of thousands of pounds.

You can argue common sense too, personally I’d never even consider riding on such a fast road but what’s to say these two poor guys knew an alternative route? Bottom line is that they had every right in the world to be there and everyone has the responsibility to drive/ride according to conditions.

singletrackmind

Wide ,clean and clear if you are talking about the section near the foot of Boxhill on the A24. Smooth and fast with very good lines of sight.

There was a tandem doing some charity ride north bound on the A3 above Guildford maybe 3 weeks ago. They had a pick up in lane 1 with orange flashing lights as a back up security vehicle. Very good idea as that stretch of the A3 is very fast flowing, much like the A30 .
    Was causing a little bit of a hold up , but much better that than being involved in a RTC

scotroutes

I assume that, in your scenario, lorry 1 doesn’t have a brake pedal?

Now imagine you’re driving a tractor instead of pedalling a bike. Do you think that affects lorry drivers 1’s decision making process?

nick1962
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

I expect he probably does when he’s devoting his full attention to his driving.

bigjim

just saw the remains of the bikes on the news, horrific 🙁

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Whilst this is a terrible tragedy, I do question some people’s sanity in this. Even worse, I saw what was evidently a group of LEJOG’ers today riding up the A34. In the short space of time I saw them, there were a number of traffic incidents caused by huge speed differences, and scarily some near misses for them.

Considering what happened, how anyone in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to ride up there is beyond me. Even with a misjudge of understanding the road,I would be off on the first opportunity and seeking an alternative route, for my own safety.

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Why put yourself in harms way for it? I saw them unloading in the big Tesco car park first thing, whilst I went in to get some food & fuel, then saw them up near the A303 junction. It would have taken all of one or two HGV’s coming past me at 60mph to realise this is a really bad idea.

This should be a non issue, we should all be able to use the roads together, in a utopian world maybe that would be the case, but in reality we don’t. We share rubbish roads with big, fast, metal boxes that can kill us.

scotroutes

That can happen on any road – are you suggesting that they should all be off-limits to cyclists?

peterich
    Free Member

I passed these guys about 20 mins prior to the accident one was wearing high viz I think – I was lucky to be on my way to a course (an lgv course) at the time. Turns out it was a good day to have off as the rest of my crew had to recover the bodies of the poor guys

aracer
    Free Member

In the short space of time I saw them, there were a number of traffic incidents caused by huge speed differences bad driving

user-removed
    Free Member

Oh come on. Cycling on a dual carriageway with no hard shoulder is just a recipe for disaster. I drive a boring Volvo. I drive it as safely as I can. Sometimes I change the radio station which requires that I take my eyes off the road for a moment. That’s not bad driving, that’s normal.

And the slip roads coming onto the DC are a death match for anyone on a bike.

As always, thoughts with the families.

user-removed
    Free Member

Double post.

mrmo
    Free Member

just to be really emotive

young women goes out on a friday night, dressed up, short skirt etc.

She gets raped.

I get the feeling that many on here think it would be her fault.

psling
    Free Member

Sometimes I change the radio station which requires that I take my eyes off the road for a moment. That’s not bad driving, that’s normal

Well, you’re half right; it is bad driving to take your eyes off the road to perform an unnecessary task but it does seem to be normal. And therein lies the problem – most drivers are of the opinion that it is normal to perform tasks other than driving whilst driving (and that includes me I’m sorry to say).

You can travel a long way at speed when you take your eyes off the road “for a moment”.

Peyote
    Free Member

young women goes out on a friday night, dressed up, short skirt etc.

She gets raped.

Yep, very emotive, but not without a grain of truth, after all how many people would say “Come on, she put herself at risk by being dressed like that in that environment”. Word for word you could use that to defend the KSIs of cyclists who are on dual carriageways without hi-viz.

It’s a ridiculous state of affairs to absolve and excuse bad driving because it’s considered normal, in exactly the same way as it’s ridiculous to blame the rape victim for being raped. The overwhelming message sent out should be: “Men, stop raping women”* and “Drivers, stop killing and injuring other road users”*, neither of these should be something that any civilised society should be accepting because it’s normal.

*By the way, there is no implicit assumption that all men rape and all drivers kill/injure before that’s jumped upon.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Until driving of motorised vehicles is treated as a serious undertaking in our culture , these tragic events will be repeated.

Working in the building industry, there has been a whole h&s ‘industry’ devoted to make the work place ‘safer’ and also to absolve litigation on employers.Training and awareness is ongoing throughout these days.

Yet, on our roads, virtually anyone can drive a three and a half ton truck , with NO training, even our so called driving test is a cursory one off affair. There needs to be a whole cultural shift, which won’t happen overnight , but can be achieved if there is a will to do so, whilst the interests of big business always come first in our political system, sadly a few lives are seen as collateral damage. 😥

Dickyboy

Don’t think anyone has ever been raped due to a momentary lapse of concentration*

* not saying that was the cause of the accident in this case, as the full facts of the matter remain unknown to me at least

Peyote
    Free Member

Don’t think anyone has ever been raped due to a momentary lapse of concentration

I think the comparison only stands up within the limitations expressed in those posts that mention it. Obviously (I hope!) the ‘intent’ between rape/RTI is very different.

On the whole though “out groups” within a given population tend to be those that suffer more than those with the most power, be it choice of transport, gender, race or any other way of distinguishing segments of society. Unfortunately those same “out groups” are the ones that tend to be blamed for their suffering…

rudebwoy
    Free Member

why are most humans considered ‘able’ to drive, when patently many are not, its this divine right that seems to be considered sacrosanct, the right to charge about in tons of metal, with very little or no responsibility, and when it goes wrong, often there is very little sanction. The right to drive should be a privilege,and treated as such– but as we live in societies bound up with said mode of transport , its treated as an inalienable given.

Dickyboy

Working in the building industry, there has been a whole h&s ‘industry’ devoted to make the work place ‘safer’ and also to absolve litigation on employers.Training and awareness is ongoing throughout these days.

A proper risk assessment of the route would probably have suggested travelling on roads with less vehicles & lower average speed too.

A motorcyclist friend of mine who got taken out by a lorry was in the same hospital ward as a cyclist who had been sucked in by the draught of an overtaking lorry & then hit by the car behind, we don’t know the circumstances of the tragedy involving the two cyclists in Cornwall but it could very easily be a similar scenario.

pingu66
    Free Member

Two guys lose their lives on a UK highway, in broad daylight and we are discussing if it was a “good idea” if they were there as less dangerous routes were available.

If we as cyclists start that argument what are the non cyclists going to turn it into. Its his fault there was a safer route, its his fault for taking to the roads in a vulnerable vehicle.

And as for the rape scenario!

Come on guys this should be about us as cyclists raising the issue of shit roads and shit driving standards, but in another thread. Hopefully one day having had enough to do something about it, ride on Parliament, ride on some of the most dangerous roads as a group. I don’t have the answers and I may be wrong.

Lets try and pay respect to the two gentlemen who have sadly been taken from their loved ones while enjoying a hobby that many of us love.

amedias
    Free Member

Taking cyclists off roads (like this one) doesn’t make them any safer, sure it might reduce the number of deaths, but it doesn’t make them safer, if anything it makes them worse as there is less expectation of cyclists being there.

Reducing deaths and injuries is an admirable goal, but it should be achieved by by making the roads safer, not by reducing the number of people using them.

The one and only way to do this is with a change in approach/culture to the way we drive. You can argue the toss about bad road layout and poor visibility etc, but all of that can be mitigated if driven appropriately.

I’m still appalled at the number of people who don’t even adjust their speed for poor weather let alone anything else, if people are still happy to barrel along at 80 on am motorway in torrential rain when they can barely see what chance is there that they’ll drive sensibly anywhere else.

I’m trying to pay my respects to them by defending their right to be there as well as offering my sympathies.

gwaelod
    Free Member

People have been riding LEJOG for years and years…surely all the motorists on that road know that there will be cyclists there and so drive extra carefully.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Lets hear it for the road designers too.

Designing a road which many legitimate users feel is too dangerous for them to use.

taka
    Free Member

im sure you would all have different opinions if you were driving the lorry

bencooper
    Free Member

im sure you would all have different opinions if you were driving the lorry

I’m sure if I’d just killed two people because I couldn’t look where I was going while in charge of a massive vehicle at speed, I’d certainly feel different about it.

But that’s not the point really, is it?

zeffir
    Free Member

Completely tragic event but I don’t see how anything other than total segregation would eliminate all risk of this happening again.

If I’m assessing the risk of using a bike on a road I tend to consider if I’d be happy driving a car at 20mph on it – If I thought driving a car at that speed would increase the risk of an accident I would choose a safer route to cycle on. I suppose when planning such a long journey that it would be very difficult to plan for every potentially dangerous stretch of road.

Thoughts with the families of the victims, very sad indeed.

D0NK

I’m sure if I’d just killed two people because I couldn’t look where I was going (allegedly) while in charge of a massive vehicle at speed, I’d certainly feel different about it.

Spent quite a lot of time going up and down sections of the A30 a few weekends ago saw lots of lejog/jogle-ers and thought I would hate to ride down that road. It’s daft tho, DCs are generally multi lane with excellent sight lines so should be safe enough for cyclists but they are some of the most scary roads to ride on almost entirely because of the way most motorists choose to pass cyclists. Used to do quite a bit of (50 limit 3 lane) DC riding on my commute, taking the lane would get you grief from a significant minority of drivers, riding closer to the gutter would multiply the number of people staying in lane to pass you. Can’t win.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘2 cyclists killed by LGV, in Cornwall’ is closed to new replies.