Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 2 bikes or 1 for cross racing?
  • mos

Hypothetical question, but assuming spare tyres and somebody in the pits wasn’t an issue, would you be better off with 2 circa 21lb bikes for a grand each or 1 17lb bike for 2 grand?

simondbarnes

Depends on the conditions.

mooman
    Free Member

2grand gets you a 17lb CX bike? 2nd hand??

My new Cannondale SuperX ultegra cost 2.5k … weighs over 20lb with pedals.

Garry_Lager

Second bike is a real difference maker at this point in the season, worth several places easy, which is not the case for your hypothetical 17 v 21 lb bike choice.
    That been said, there’s a lot of earlier races where you don’t need a second bike at all, so you could be riding round like a boss on your 2grand bike.

Triton bikes have a SuperX 105 up for £1400 atm, which seems like a fantastic price.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

2 not so good bikes def better than one bling as hell if you want to be competitive, and better wheels/tubs are a better investment than bling groupsets.

I rode the World Championships Elite race in 2000 on Paul Milnes Alloy framesets, secondhand 105 groupsets with good wheels and tubs as it was all I could afford.

Rorschach
    Free Member

2 bikes.Your 17lb bike will weight 21lbs at the end of a muddy race and none of the gears will work anymore.

dovebiker

I would start with 1 bike and two sets of wheels with decent tubs – one with mud tyres and the other for faster / intermediate conditions. Used to race with two bikes and 3 sets of wheels.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Only a 4lb weight increase? I’m sure I’ve had that hanging from my mech!!

More important than 2 bikes is a pit b!tch to clean the bikes between laps, otherwise it’s a pointless exercise in expenditure

sefton
    Free Member

2bikes. Just make sure your frames are good for mud clearance around the bb. Tubs biggest factor by a mile! No need to spend big on frames.cantis are fine.It’s all about traction.

cakefest
    Free Member

How many bikes do you really need for one single ride?

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/info-hub/one-bike-cross

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve not seen any mud this season yet so just having one bike has been fine. Last season I was dreaming of two though.

I’ve been quite happy running tubeless down to sub 20psi, saves on having multiple wheels, just make a tyre descision a couple of days in advance. Not as supple as tubs I don’t think but for hte aversge Sunday racer it makes any difference and it’s cheaper plus more puncture resistant

flattyre
    Free Member

I race one bike in North Wales league (the rules) and north west (allowed 2). For me not sure benefit of 2nd bike is worth the hassle (cleaning afterwards!) with no one in pits with jet wash, ie only one change. Even then carting water around seems like a big job. Tend to think differently after early exit with snapped hanger though!

If you are at sharp end will be frustrating if your competitors are getting clean bikes. Otherwise all in same boat anyway. But need to ride differently to get bike to end more often than not.

Agree with comments on tubs making big difference, especially something like fmb supermud.

I think a light bike in cx is nice though, especially when on shoulder!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘2 bikes or 1 for cross racing?’ is closed to new replies.