Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 2 Bikes, Different Brakes, Same Brake Rotors?
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

My hardtail has a set of SLX’s and my FS Hope M4’s
    Both wheels are set up tubeless…
    Can I have a set of mud tyres on one set and a set of all-round tyres on the others, then put whatever wheel set is most appropriate on the bike I am taking out, or will the different brakes result in different wear “tracks” in the discs and compromise the braking?
    Will I die if I do this?

stumpy01

Yes it’ll work. Things to check are whether the caliper adaptors are, for example, 185 on both bikes or something silly like 180/185.

Also the hubs might be very slightly different widths so you get some rubbing depending on what wheels you have on what bike. You can solve this with shims on one set of wheels.

The cassette/chains might wear at different rates depending on how often you swap.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve been running formula rotors with XTR brakes for two years without any issues.

I’d second checking the details though. You can get some funny differences as Stumpy identified above.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

fortunately they are the same wheels, and I have put hope 183mm adaptors on both bikes, so thats covered.

sounds good!

richmtb

So long as the rotors are the same size you shouldn’t have any issues.

A bit of rubbing on the discs can happen with different hubs

If you brake calipers are post mount then its easy to get them running perfectly with different wheels

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘2 Bikes, Different Brakes, Same Brake Rotors?’ is closed to new replies.