Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 2 bike vs 3 bike tow bar racks
  • spudly1979
    Free Member

Hi, looking at a new tow bar rack, the only thing i’m struggling with is making sure that my bikes fit! Has anyone tried any of the 2 bike racks with 2 full suspension bikes? Or do i need to just go for a 3 bike rack and have a space in the middle?

Also, has anyone found one that will take bikes with a particularly large wheelbase? My bike has a 1210mm wheelbase – its an XL and i’m struggling to find one that will cope?

trademark
    Free Member

I had a 3-bike Thule towbar rack with built in electrics that took bikes belonging to me and my brother. Dunno about wheelbases but frames were large full susser and XL cx bike.

Just measured.

Susser is 1220 mm wb. Cx is 1200.

wwaswas

You can use a bit of guttering to extend the wheel holder bits if you need to.

If your cars towbar will accept the nose weight of the 3 bike rack plus your bikes then get that, the additional space and flexibility might be welcome (assuming price differences aren’t huge)

paladin

I’ve a Thule 9503, width wise I reckon my bird is the longest wheelbase which would comfortably fit it, and its 1190 wheelbase I think.
    I’ve never had 2 full sussers on it, but can fit the bird, and a 456 on with a 20″ islabike in between without too much hassle.

trademark
    Free Member

As above, Thule 9503.

spudly1979
    Free Member

cheers guys, any ideas which thule model? The blurb on their website says the euroclassic is the biggest in terms of width – but obviously it’s also the most expensive! The euroride looks good but it looks significantly narrower!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ve got an atera strada 2 bike. No problem for 2 full suss bikes one with almost 1200mm wheelbase. Also had the 3 bike strada before. Good racks.

woolymonster
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2 bike Thule one from about 6yrs ago and it has been mint, however it is narrow! I cannot fit 2 x FS bikes on there with 142 rear axles, which is a right pain in the hoop. I’ve recently been looking for one that will work for 2 bikes and also fit the bikes I have. I actually bought a Thule Euro power rack but although the space for 2 DH bikes was there, the moulded wheel wells would not accept an inflated tyre of above 2.0, so that went back. Recently I’ve found these guys ( http://www.bikerackcompany.com/product-category/car-racks/ ), that have pretty good ones. Haven’t got one yet but think it might be the right one as the wheel wells slide along the frame of the rack (or so the emails from the company say anyhow).

If you do find one, let me know which one you get as I’m currently trying to sell mine and get a new one 🙂

spudly1979
    Free Member

hmm, quite like the look of those – i’ve contacted them to check if the measurements will fit – also asked about big tyres as that’s caught me out before too!

spudly1979
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the buzz rack ones with a decent sized full suss? They look very good value and get good reviews but obviously you can’t really try them out!

ifra
    Free Member

Im just looking at moment as well and found these below, look very good value.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter-towbar-mounted-3-bike-cycle-carrier-zx300.html

dantsw13

Took my buzzrack Quattro to Glentress from Sussex with 4 FS last month – no issues.

spudly1979
    Free Member

thanks Dan, any ideas what sort of wheel base they had? What size tyres do you run?

dknwhy

Sorry for the thread hijack but i’m looking for a tow bar rack too. 4 bikes. Want one where the bars don’t need to be turned to fit all 4 on and I can get individual bikes on and off without removing all 4.
    Does the Buzzrack quattro allow this?

nickewen
    Free Member

I have the 3 bike Thule Euroclassic LED one. I think it’s about 18 months old. It’s a bit of a fine art getting 3 bigger FS AM bikes on but by no means impossible.. Just needs a bit of fine fettling with seat height etc.

However, my mate just bought a Mega AM 275 and the wheelbase is probably at the maximum of what the trays can take (just over really but still secure with the long straps). I think it’s a large so 1198mm.

spudly1979
    Free Member

thanks Nick, that seems to be the biggest one around – but also really expensive!

hammyuk
    Free Member

The Mottez I have will take anything you throw at it but its not light as its steel construction.

nickewen
    Free Member

Yep gotta be careful of nose weight for your car. I’m at the limit with 3 biggish bikes on a 3 series… On the Mini its two bikes max and not big ones!

spudly1979
    Free Member

Right, been out and tried out a few at a local shop – the Euroclassic fitted really well and is rock solid – it’d take a bomb to get it off!

However, it’s a lot of money, so i tried a couple more – the velocompact also fitted really well, there was obviously a lot more of the wheel hanging over the end, but it was still really solid.

However, after a bit more research, i think i’m going to try this one:
    Buzz Rack Scorpion

It’s as wide as the velocompact, is made to hold bigger bikes and is over £120 cheaper! roofbox will do a 90 day return, so if it isn’t utterly confidence inspiring i’ll switch it for the velocompact.

flamejob
    Free Member

This is one area where N.America has Europe pipped.

I went from all that tow-ball nonsense in the UK to a 2″ receiver on my current Jeep and it’s awesome. The Thule and Yakima racks seem bigger here too.

spudly1979
    Free Member

Hi, just a bit of an update. I got a Thule velocompact in the end, somewhat cheaper than the euroclassic and a lot smaller and easier to store and move too!

Just got back from its first journey, did Birmingham to the Berwyn mountains and back. The bike rack was absolutely solid, no movement on the tow bar itself, and the bikes were clamped really securely. Literally no movement even on the bumpy track up to the campsite.

We got 2 full Sussers and a hard tail on, with the pedals on although it was pretty tight!

In terms of trying a larger bike on it by the way (I asked about this on a separate thread) we tried it with my mates xl meta and it just about fit, which is the biggest bike in terms of wheelbase i think I’ll need to use it for.

Finally, just to mention I got it from towcraft in blackheath. Really good service, they actually let us try our bikes on the showroom models of bike racks they had before buying which I really helped with the decision.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘2 bike vs 3 bike tow bar racks’ is closed to new replies.