Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • 2 best men?
  • robbo1234biking

OK so I’m having trouble deciding who I would want to have as a best man as a conseqeunce am thinking about having 2! Ive searched on the internet but cant find too much from men on the subject – most of hte comments seem to be from women in wedding forums.

Has anyone does this and if so how did it work? Top table, speach etc?!

Any advice much appreciated!

Snigletrack
    Free Member

2 stag doos… Yey!

ton

can’t see a problem.

pretty nice idea.

scotia
    Free Member

My mate did this last year – it was in scotland and it worked fine. Two of them sat at the top table and they shared the speech..

I am doing the same thing but here in switzerland they have witnesses only – there isnt really a thing like ‘best man’. Im having two, one guy one girl. Only one of them can sign the thingy but thats ok for me..

Its your wedding – do it how you want? I dont think we’ll be having speeches like we do in the UK so we’re ‘breaking’ all the rules as it were.. i think it’ll be ok..

just enjoy!

nickc

Best man Fight-off…Seems the only solution

steveh

I was one of 2 best men for a friend last year. He had one to cover the school years and one for after. We both sat on the top table, did a speech each (but kept them short). It caused no problems and actually worked really well I reckon.

Oh and at the end of it all it’s your big day so do whatever will make you enjoy it most.

Junkyard
    Free Member

your wedding you can do what you want just enjoy the day

robbo1234biking

The trouble is that my fiance is only having one bridesmaid so she is worried about having hte top table unbalanced…

Might have to be a fight off – or I could see who sets the fastest time around our local loop on the bike!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I had two and been one of two and it worked really well especially on the stag do as they / us shared the pressure.

In terms of speeches.

On mine – one mate did a speech about how great I am (well that is what I was expecting and hoping for) the other did a multiple choice quiz – where the audience had to shout out the answer – went down really well.

When I was best man we did the whole up to a certain point then the other takes over.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I do wedding photography, part time from my main job and to fund my camera fettish and mountain bike habbit….

I have done a few weddings with 2 best men.

Certainly not unusual.

You’ll just have to then decide whose speech comes first…..

matthewjb
    Free Member

I can work well.

I was Best Man with my brother for our youngest brother.

We did the speech together which can work well if you’re not used to addressing a crowd.

druidh
    Free Member

I was at a wedding last year with two best men. All I thought was “what a wet sod, couldn’t he just bluddy well decide?” Still, it’s your day do it how you want especially if you don’t mind folk thinking your an indecisive eejit

Harry_the_Spider

I was a joint best man. I made sure that the other one got all the dodgey lines in the speech.

geoffj

A mate of mine had two best men at his wedding. It worked OK, but he did come across as a tw@ bit of an attention whore.

robbo1234biking

cheers for the advice! some thinking to do…

theotherjonv

I had no best men. My wife’s dad died a few months before the wedding and with no male relative who we wanted to step in for the father of the bride bit, we decided i’d do the whole speech – a bit about her as a kid, a bit about me as a kid, and a bit about us together. I think it worked.

It’s your day, do what you want, would be my advice.

simon_g

My mate had two best men for his wedding. One did the ceremony bit (responsible for the rings, etc), announcements, etc – the other did the big after-dinner speech. Worked just fine.

kinda666
    Free Member

Friend of mine had a similar dilema, didn’t want to upset anyone so asked a work colleague to do it instead! First question the best man asked was where would you like to go on your stag do, tgo which he replied I’d really lkie to go to Reading, meaning the festival rather than the place! We had a great weekend in Reading town 🙁

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

2 best men, 1 Bridesmaid

Spit roast at the reception?

hora
    Free Member

Its YOUR wedding. I dont see why you cant chose what you want. Is there a rulebook somewhere?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I had two best men (my two brothers). My wife had no bridesmaids (too many people to choose from as she had been bridesmaids to about 6 girls in the past and didn’t want to upset anyone).

It worked fine – as has been said, your day, your rules.

mark_b
    Free Member

My brother had two (but then he is indecisive and has a reputation as being a fence sitter :)). All three of them were really good mates so the best men speeches were more of a double act.

acjim
    Free Member

I had two best men – one is an old school friend who is very funny and writes great speeches but is terminally shy (he was shaking like stevens before his speech) the other was a great friend at the time (unfortunately out of touch now) and possibly the best general mixer / entertainer I’ve had the pleasure to meet. The latter did all the MC stuff (time for lunch, raise your glasses etc etc) and me old pal did a fantastic speech, ripping me to shreads!

Go for it, just make sure they are cool with what you expect.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Depends on what your best man is for. If he is there for organising strippers and making a speech then 2+ is fine.

Mine put me up on his sofa the night before, drove me up to the wedding, steadied my nerves beforehand (he’d brought liquour) told the photographer to piss off and leave me alone, checked that I didn’t want to escape, then afterwards, when it was fairly clear it had all gone horribly wrong, hung about with me at the end of the reception.

mangoridebike

I’ve been one of three best men, it worked well, we split the duties – one at the front of the church, one MCing and I did the speech. Seemed to work out ok.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

As mangoridebike says – get whoever of your friends too help out in the way thay can do best. I would say no to two speeches tho. At a friends wedding I MCed and acted as usher, someone else did the best mans speech.

jon1973
    Free Member

Spit roast at the reception?
    LOL @ WorldClassAccident

That comment deserves to be acknowledged

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Your wedding, your rules. But for god almighty sake please don’t feel the need to stand up and do a song and dance routine with the two best men – that was the most teeth-pulling experience I’ve ever witnessed at a wedding.

My cousin just got married a couple of months ago, she had two best men, her brother and aunt (it’s a long complicated and sad story so don’t ask…) and it went down great – if they know each other and can get a bit of banter going that’d be even better.

Let them share the ‘boring’ bits reading out cards etc.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I had two best mine at mine. Just felt it seemed wrong to have to pick between my brother and my best mate. Worked really well, no probs at all. Mrs had 2 bridesmaids so seemed fair to me anyway!

waihiboy
    Free Member

i had two at mine, no problem at all.

don’t stick to all the ‘ye olde’ wedding bollox, do what YOU want to do.

it was great, one did a sincere speech of how great i was and the wife and the other did a ‘story of our younger days” type speech.

one was an old school friend who i kept in touch with when i moved to Ireland, the other was my best mate from my Ireland days

jimmy

I was part of a best man double act last year, no problems. Just work together on the speech – we finished ours off on the morning of the wedding before getting dressed up. Nowt like last minute.

nuggett96
    Free Member

I had 2 best men (did th speech half nd half), one bridesmaid nd th bridesmaids fella was a brides boy (for want of a better word) walked down th aisle behind my missus.
    the official photographs were done by an old mate from home and all th tables had disposable cameras which were collected at th end of the evening.

matt_outandabout

My brother had two – they did a proper two Ronnies act, glasses and all. quality entertainment.

postierich
    Free Member

I was chosen to be best man with a close friend to another friend who could not decide who to have as his best man.
    I went first with my speech and it went down really well but i was shitting myself and glad it was over when I sat down with applause ringing in my ears feeling smug.Then the other best man got up rather sheepishly and congratulated me and said to the baying mob that there was no way he could better that and raised a glass to the bride and groom!

Bastard I will never forgive him or the groom for making us wear these shirts

firestarter
    Free Member

are you sure it wasnt a civil partnership rich 😉

samuri
    Free Member

I had two best men at my wedding.

One of them did the standing by me and doing a speech business. the other one organised people at the church and got off with my sister.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was one of 4 best men worked well

NZCol

postierich – personally i would never forgive the groom for making you drink Export Gold.OMG did they have no proper beer ??? 😉

geoffj

the other one organised people at the church
    otherwise known as an usher.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Now that I think about it, when I had 2 best men, my brother stepped up to do his speech and said:

“Since there’s 2 best men, we’ve split up the duties 50/50. Since I organised the stag do…. over to you…”

Best mate promptly shat himself. Not literally, but it was probably close.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘2 best men?’ is closed to new replies.