• This topic has 35 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by womp.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • 2 2k bikes or 1 4k (road/tri)
  • womp
    Free Member

4k to spend

2k Road bike and a 2k Tri bike
    or 4K road bike with Tri bars

Use is regular sportives, Training rides, a few triathlons including one full distance iron man (Bolton)

Thoughts?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Differnce between a 2k and a 4k road bike in terms of outright speed is pretty minimal.

A 2k road bike is more than adequate for most road riding needs. A 2k TT bike will be quicker than a 4k road bike

sockpuppet

I agree

Diminishing road bike returns above 2k-2.5k. IMO. depends on one’s affluence.

2k TT bike will as suggested be faster than 4k road bike (probably) but only good for TTs, and may be less fun/enjoyable to ride.

In the interest of full disclosure, I built I 3.5k road bike, for 2.5k by waiting foe good deals, and love it! I have little interest in TT, so have a skewed POW.

njee20
    Free Member

I priced up a TT bike earlier in the week – Planet X Stealth frame for £300, Ultegra group set for £500 (or £1k for Di2), FarSports carbon wheels and some reasonable finishing kit. You can do it for £1500 or £2k with di2. Definitely be my choice.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Depends what your priorities are really. If you want to be as competitive as you can in Tri I’d probably spend more on the TT bike and less on a training bike (e.g. that new Defy for 1.3k). I’d also set aside some budget for a power meter.

If on the other hand you priorities are just having a nice road bike for club runs, sportives, that sort of thing, and you just dabble in a bit of tri for fun then spend the cash on a nice road bike.

Njee20, you Di2’d the stealth?

njee20
    Free Member

£1k gets you the full Di2 Ultegra TT group, £500 for mechanical. Big jump, but I think di2 is particularly useful on TT bikes as you can shift from the brake levers or the extensions and it avoids convoluted cable routing – through aerobars/stems etc.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, very tempted to convert my Stealth to Di2 but was wondering if anyone else had done it and how all the routing works and where they fix the cables (all external routing and cable stops on the Stealth.) Usefulness is partly the satellite shifters but also having a gearshift be less disruptive a movement. Routing definitely better too as you usually end up with some pretty tight bends in cables.

njee20
    Free Member

Mmm, that was why it appealed, but no idea on routing etc I’m afraid!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ok, thanks Njee. Cable routing is a bit of a pain on the stealth if you do get one due to the cable stops on the downtube. Routing from the ends of the poles to the cable stops can make for some tight bends and awkward shifting. Done a couple of seasons on the Stealth and I’m tempted to change it for something a bit more contemporary.

njee20
    Free Member

I was originally thinking of a Flyxii or something Chinese, which would have Di2 compatibility, but the Stealth at £300 was rather tempting!

mrblobby
    Free Member

That was my thinking a couple of years ago. Having lived with the Sleath for a bit I think I’d go Chinese carbon now if on a budget. Think turboferret off here has a really nice example of Chinese TT which he’s posted a few times.

njee20
    Free Member

Interesting, thank you. I’m not likely to buy until spring anyway.

Sorry OP, sort of hijacked – but I’d still do a build like that for the TT bike, and spend more on the road, but it depends a bit on how much/how seriously you’re planning to use the TT bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’d say that if you’re likely to get seriously into TT’ing then save as much budget for that as you can! So far this year for me it’s been new bar assembly, new tubs, disc wheel (upgraded from an aero jacket cover), power meter, some Rotor rings, a change of aero helmet… and I’ve only raced 3 times! Suspect it’ll be frame change and Di2 for next season.

lunge
    mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice but you may just want to buy the frame and put a bit more thought into componentry depending on what you’re going to be racing.

TiRed

Do you want a fast time in the Iron Man or enjoy riding Sportives? If it is Iron Man then I’d spend:

£500 on a wetsuit – you’ll save more time in a transition taking off a well-fitting smooth wetsuit than you will with the bike 😉

£2500 on a good TT bike – Cervelo S2 looks like a lot of bike for the money

£1000 on a road bike for training.

Di2 Ultegra looks good for TT, but if sticking to a budget, really won’t make you faster. A skin suit and some decent deep profile wheels will save you most time on the bike.

If you want to really ride Sportives and dabble in tri, spend more on a decent road bike. I like my Defy Advanced SL and it is a joy to ride long distances. Decide on your priorities and adjust accordingly.

There is no reason why a Giant Propel aero bike, with Di2 and TT clip on bars could not be used for Tri, then unclip the TT bars, unplug the remote shifters and switch wheels and you have a nice road bike. That is probably a reasonable balance if undecided and would cost about £4000 (including an extra set of wheels). I think most people can’t be bothered to do the shifter conversion, but that to me is the read advanced of Di2.

mrblobby
    Free Member

TiRed, now how did I know you were going to recommend a Propel 😉

Interesting point about satellite di2 shifters. Would be a nice to have but tbh for most of the courses I ride I’m hardly ever out of an aero tuck. Guess if you are doing longer hillier tri courses then it may be beneficial.

TiRed

Lucky guess. I rode our club sporting 25 on it without clipons and was a lot faster than last year – and fitter.

But I do think that an aero road bike with Di2 and clip-ons and 80mm deep section spare wheels would serve the OP well for all duties, so that would be my recommendation.

daveh
    Free Member

Does the Cervelo S series still have seatposts that offer road and tri positions? Hold on…

S5 certainly seems to, a fine way to spend £4k! Get a reasonable spec, some tri bars and 2 sets of wheels: one set light for road, one set deep aero for tri.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If you do go that route can recommend the Zipp Vuka poles, loads of adjustment which you’ll probably need if you’re trying to get a good TT position on your road bike.

womp
    Free Member

Thanks guys, this thread as given me more to think about than I thought and made the decision harder …CHEERS!

Thanks for the info on wetsuits I’ll do my research before buying and won’t skimp.

So as for my priorities, my first love is road riding and setting PR’s, I currently have a Canyon CF SLX so that’s my benchmark for a road bike, the Triathlons are new to me and I only have one goal which is to complete the bolton ironman in under 13hrs (but I realise every second counts, the lads did it this year and one missed the 13hr goal by about 5mins)

I have a friend selling a canyon speedmax With DA Di2 for 3.5K so that’s an option but it means selling my SLX and getting a cheap road bike (I’m not sure I can emotionally cope with that)

As suggested the other alternative is getting an aero road bike and use it for both disciplines, I’d not really considered this before (I’m not sure why)

So If I changed the original question a little….. 2k tri bike or 4K aero bike decked out for tri duties (tri bars with Di2 shifters, deep wheels, saddle, bike fit)?

To explore this option further……I was a little smitten with the 2015 Canyon Aeroad SLX when I first saw it and I’m sure I’d have no problem using as a road bike, I spend most of my riding time in the drops, I’ve got climbing wheels and its within a few grams of my current road bike and may actually be a better bike for some events.

Canyon Aeroad 2015

The Aeroad correspond to the top tube length of the next size up on the Ultimate CF SLX.
    I ride an XS Ultimate so not sure if I’d stick with XS or go XXS?

The link below shows the geometry difference in pictures between the ultimate and the aeroad
    canyon frame geo

I’m also thinking that I’d likely do more tri training on an aero bike (in tri set up) than on a dedicated tri bike as I can use it for group rides.

The Aeroad does have an integrated cockpit wich I assume I’ll need to ditch for a conventional set up to fit tri bars ?

The aeroad should be lighter than a 2k tri bike and the bolton ironman is hilly (for an ironman distance) so maybe the weight advantage will counter any aero disadvantage?

Sorry for the rambling I’m just thinking out loud 🙂

Ok a just few more quick questions then I’ll shut up.

1. Will all clip on tri bars accept Di2 shifters?
    2. I assume Is this the type of shifter people are referring to?
    Di2 tri shifters
    3. Will the canyon aeroad take a 25mm tyre ?
    4. Will the Aeroad seatpost offer enough adjustment to make use of the tri bars ?

TiRed

The aeroad is lovely, and like the Giant, has an integrated cockpit on some models. The downside is the the bars aren’t round at the top, so clamping those Zipp Vukas will not be possible. I’d personally still go that route with some Zipp bars to match.

1) I can’t see why not, they are a standard diameter
    2) Yes, neat aren’t they
    3) Almost certainly yes, my Propel takes them easily (and could take a 28)
    4). You’ll need to sit on one to really check, particularly if you go down the route of the fashionably trendy cut-off saddles.

Since you say your first love is road riding, get a good bike for the road 😀

One extra point – the Di” junction box will need replacing for a five port from a three. If it is under the stem, then this is trivial.

cynic-al
    Free Member

As above, depends on your priorities.

If your target time is 13 hours then no offence but spending £4K on a bike isnt going to make much difference (I calculated 4m off an Ironman distance ride at my pace for the fabled 20W at 25mph, I did a 11:45 Iron an).

Read the bikeradar article on aero, helmet and wheels only give you 10W each, a TT bike the same (over a road bike) and tri bars about 30W (all IIRC and at 25mph). Other articles on weight vs aero.

Buy a light bike you’ll enjoy, use it for tris, buy a power meter and decent wetsuit, spend the rest on other stuff.

Or buy what you want, you can pretend it will make you faster…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

+1 cynic-al. Munqe chick did a 14hr Wales (hillier than Bolton and club mates who did both were an hour slower compared to their Bolton times) on a ~£1k ally framed, heavy fulcrum R7 wheeled bike. Spending big on a TT bike will have a minimal effect on your time compared to spending it elsewhere, but don’t let that stop you justifying it if that’s what you want (not meant sarcastically).

MC reckons her best investment was in a swim analysis coaching session (filmed in an endless pool) and an open water coaching session. She smashed her Tenby sea swim, only 4 minutes off her best pool time for that distance in conditions where RNLI were pulling people out and a former Kona qualifier mate quit after the first ‘lap’.

Dont blow all your IM/tri kit/prep budget on a bike if you’re serious about getting a performance return on your investment.

womp
    Free Member

Thanks all, decision made a Canyon Aeroad SLX It is

Just a thought ….. Would Aero performance not make a bigger difference to a slower rider as they would spend more time in the wind over the course distance ?

womp
    Free Member

double post

mrblobby
    Free Member

No, aero benefits decrease the slower you get.

andyl
    Free Member

drag proportional to v^2

I would echo the above about making sure your swimming is up to par. Probably a lot easier to lose time and tire yourself out with bad swimming.

Unless you after an excuse for a shiny new expensive bike 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Drag increases exponentially as speed rises, so the slower you go, the less you will benefit from any aero additions to the bike. It’s also why, when falling, everything has a terminal velocity. Gravity is 9.81m/s, which means that a 75kg man will experience roughly 735 Newtons of downward force when freefalling. Once he experiences 735 Newtons of force due to drag, he is at terminal velocity and can go no faster. Or… Many Sueprcars out there have roughly 500bhp and are capable of hitting 200mph. To get to 250mph, you’ve got to almost double the amount of power the engine puts out to overcome the extra drag!

The hillier the ironman, the less benefit an expensive TT bike will be. Lots of studies have been done showing that Aero bars are the single biggest improvement you can make to a bike to reduce its drag, followed by pointy helmets and skinsuits. Deep section wheels make relatively little difference at all. I know an old boy that cleans up in his age group locally at 10 mile TT’s, and he’s on an ally Scott with Mavic Aksium’s fitted! He’s 72 but can still do a 25 minute 10…

Totally up to the OP where to spend the budget, and my opinions probably aren’t too valid as my preferences would be elsewhere. But don’t get caught up in the “must have” an expensive high end Tri bike at the cost of everything else scenario.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes, looks like cynic-al has done his sums…

I calculated 4m off an Ironman distance ride at my pace for the fabled 20W at 25mph, I did a 11:45 Iron an

And that fabled figure is probably from a wind tunnel at just the right yaw angle, and probably rarely achieved on the road. Throw in hills and an assumption that your speed will be considerably less than 25mph over ironman distance. Still even if it saves you a minute off the bike ride and you come in say 30 seconds under an hour barrier then it may be all worth it 🙂

showing that Aero bars are the single biggest improvement

May sound obvious but it’s more the position that the aero bars allow you to get into. I’ve seen people clip aero bars to a standard road bike and go slower either because their position ended up being less aero, or because they couldn’t make power.

Well worth doing some proper timed testing with them to see what sort of benefit you are getting. Also have a look at the BikeFastFit app to help record and tweak your position (can also measure frontal area which may be useful in guestimating drag.) You may need to make quite a few changes to setup to get a good position, may not be a case of just popping on some bars. Riding in an aero position is also something you need to work on lots (especially for that sort of distance) and what’s sustainable should evolve as you get more comfortable/stronger in a position.

njee20
    Free Member

Whilst I do agree with the above, if someone said at the start of an Ironman – hang on, you’ve got to wait 4 minutes before you start. I imagine that would feel like an age!

womp
    Free Member

This is a great thread 🙂

Can I just throw this article in the mix

aero effect for fast vs slow riders

It concludes that aero does give a greater overall time advantage for a slower rider over a fixed distance, so maybe aero is just as important for all of us 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yeah, the amount of watts aero saves you decreases with speed (drag being v^2), but the effect of a small amount of watts has a much greater speed benefit if you’re going slowly than a bigger amount of watts does if you’re going quickly. Which I’d assume is what that article is saying.

How quick are you going to be riding the 110 miles? You can work out rough savings using cyclingpowerlab.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

is a power meter in the budget?

womp
    Free Member

Cheers for the link I’ll have a play with that once the kids are in bed

My only real reference point for performance at the moment is a 52.8 miles in 2.25 on the road bike with normal helmet, Ksyrium wheels, 900ft with a few slow sections, felt a comfortable pace

All my other rides are to broken up to gain any meaningful data to judge an ironman distance ride (Though I have done plenty of big rides mind)

womp
    Free Member

Gadgets are always in budget 🙂 I do intend to get a power meter in the new year, but I’ve not really started looking at the options yet.

I also have a Kickr collecting dust that I intend to do some benchmarking on

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘2 2k bikes or 1 4k (road/tri)’ is closed to new replies.