Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1×9 with no top guide?
  • teethgrinder

This has probably been asked/tried, but couldn’t find it…

…Going to go 1×9, using a Works Components N/W 32t front ring and 11-34 SLX cassette at the back. Will I get much in the way of chain dropping without a top chain guide? Rear mech is an XTR jobbie, if that makes a difference.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

should be ok.. i’ve gone 1×10 and no guide not dropped anything yet either….

i do have a clutch mech, but i only realised you had to turn it “on” after about 300 miles 😆 😳

went down potato alley and the beast with it in the “off” position at a decent lick with no chain drops

onlinebully
    Free Member

Use the race face narrow wide front ring you ll be sound, I run 1 x 10 not dropped once. Check for 9 speed version.

tmb467
    Free Member

I had chain dropping problems on a 1×10 with a clutch mech so when I geared up my SS I bodged a chain guide from an MRP top guide and an old pump holder.

You could just use an old front mech as well (I had sold mine so didn’t have anything knocking about)

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Yep been running it over a year now on one of the oldest X9 mechs in existence with no issues.

teethgrinder

Cheers all. The Works 32t is ordered as of 3 hours ago, but just wondering whether to pull the trigger on a Superstar XCR. Will try the front mech until I see what happens, unless someone has one going cheap for a 2009 FSR XC…

jam-bo

Don’t waste your money on the superstar.

teethgrinder

That bad? What else for c£20?

jam-bo

Second hand e13 xcx

st

I’ve had a Works ring running 10 speed with a clutch mech for a couple of weeks. No guide and no chain drops whatsoever. This is on a hard tail and includes a weekend riding some fast and rocky stuff in the Lakes and a couple if outings to my local downhill trails.

I’m well impressed especially as on some of the same trails on the same bike ive had the chain drop off when using the double ring setup that the bike came with.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i’ve got a superstar xcr, it’s ace…

(1×9, no fancy chainring, no clever mech)

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve never had a dropped chain, but it’s worth taking an extra link or two out of the chain Imo.. You can get away with it when you’re only using a single chainring

that’s on an old slx mech with an old steel surly chainring

teethgrinder

Update:
    Took 2 links out of the chain with the result of no dropped chain on the ride this morning, including some quite bumpy, rooty bits. No top guide either.

I like the Works 32t, but need to get my fitness back up to a sensible level in order not to miss the granny too much.

breadcrumb

I’ve use the superstar xcr, nothing wrong with it. Just make sure is set up right.

I’m think about using the 10 speed Shimano rear mech bodge with a SRAM shifter for 1×9.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1×9 with no top guide?’ is closed to new replies.