Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 1×9 – Will a road mech work on a 11-34 cassette
  • IHN

Thinking of 1×9-ing my perennial ‘project’ frame (it started life in 1995 as my first MTB, since then it’s been a bodged SS, a commuter, a SS commuter, and is currently a flat pedalled, weirdy handlebarred pub bike)

I have an old 105 mech in the bits box from it’s commuter days, will that work with an 11-34 cassette?

thomthumb
    Free Member

maybe is the only correct answer. it has a lot to do with the geometry of the mech hanger.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Officially the ‘old’ road mechs (pre-5700) are only rated to 27t. The newer ones are 28t.

You ‘may’ get more teeth with a long hanger and/or short chain but you’d be lucky.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sam42
    Free Member

Had a tiagra running on a 11-32,
    Got dura ace running on 11-28 currently, on a 1×9 setup with a 34 upfront shifted by xtr, works fine.
    I’d say probably not though, 34 is a big cog for a titchy roadie mech.

irc

Or buy a 9 speed Acera. I bought one for a 1×9 bike for my wife. Same weight as a Deore. Works fine. Cheap as chips at £12.75 plus postage.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-acera-rear-derailleur-rd-m390-sgs/aid:516112

I was happy enough I’ve ordered another just to have as a spare. I weighed mine at 278g In the same ballpark as a Deore I think. 40g more than an XT.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Officially the ‘old’ road mechs (pre-5700) are only rated to 27t.

mainly because they only make roadie cassettes up to 27t.

mboy
    Free Member

mainly because they only make roadie cassettes up to 27t.

Old stuff only goes up to 27T (so I wouldn’t recommend anything larger than 27/28T cog with an old roadie rear mech), new roadie stuff goes up to 32T these days… At least on SRAM Apex and Tiagra it does anyway… Higher end kit maybe not so.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘1×9 – Will a road mech work on a 11-34 cassette’ is closed to new replies.