Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1×9 – What Chain Device?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

My Blur 4X rebuild is nearly done and whilst its been off the road I've built and been loving a budget build 456 SS running a 1×9 setup. So thats got me thinking about running a similar setup on the Blur but the biggest bugbear I have is the chain keeps coming off (I'm just running a front mech with the adjusters wound out).

So, if I go 1×9 on the Blur, what chain device should I go for? I've seen the e13 and MRP (and cheapo Superstar alternative) 1×9 front-mech-a-like devices but I'm not sure about how reliable those would be as I ride a LOT of rocky stuff. So was looking at all the 'proper' e13 devices CRC have on offer at the moment and theres a load around the £50 mark that look like a better alternative for only £15 or so more. But… there seems to be different models for HT and FS frames – obviously the Blur is FS but the chainstays are in the same place as a HT frame (if that makes sense!) so not sure which one to get.

Any ideas/input appreciated!

Dave

Bagstard
    Free Member

It depends on whether you want a bash or not? I have an LG1+ on my full suss and yesterday I put an LS1 (no taco) on my new hardtail. They are good lightweight options and I have never lost a chain on these or the older style LG1 on my DH bike. The superstar options look almost the same only much cheaper, had they been in stock I would have bought one of those.

rOcKeTdOg

Three_Fish
    Free Member

In my opinion, you'll need top and bottom guides/rollers. There's not a huge difference in design or price between these types of guides, so you may be best just going somewhere like CRC and perusing the chain guide section until you find something you like the look and price of.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Done that 3fish, hence my question about which one of the e13s would fit my Blur!

I do like Superstar kit (theres a comment for the haters to feed on!) so might take another look there but am leaning towards a top and bottom guide. Not too bothered about the ability to run a bash guard – if I had the choice I would (looking at the state of the bashs on both my bikes, it might be a wise choice!).

Sorry rocketdog, at work so I can't see flickr photos!

Rickos
    Free Member

I use a Gamut P20 and it's very good. Simple to set up and nowt to clog with mud. More than you want to spend right now though.

guitarhero
    Free Member

I've got an old style E13 LG1 on my Blur 4x, which fits nicely. These share a common backplate with the SRS style so they will fit too. This seems a good buy.
    I've tried to fit a new style LG1+ but it would have required some dremmel modification so didn't bother.
    I've just fitted one of these to my Ti456 and it looked like it would fit the blur also.
    Agree 1×9 with chainguide is the way to go on the 4X. Mine used to drop the chain until I fitted one.

JPcapel
    Free Member

I've run all models of e13 over the years.
    If you want a bash the LG1+ is the best in my view, reasonable weight and v.reliable and still works when crusted up with winters worst mud.

A new option is the e13 XCX – have put this on a hardtail with really good results, no loss of the chain – albiet I can run the chain tight as its a hardtail, on a full suss. you can't get away with running the chain so short. Think this would be my decider, if its for a full suss. lg1+ if hardtail XCX.

Vortexracing

2nd the gamut, even though it's more dosh.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

The BB on the Blur is pretty low, so I would want something fairly substantial on there. I run an E13 SRS+ on mine & the basgaurd & lower roller assembly have taken a few smacks (gets used as a baby DH bike though).

Have previously run a couple of Gamut's on my DH bike, and have had fairly poor experiences with them now. They are very light, but the backplate is fairly flimsy, so if you are a bit of a hack they might not take the stick.

If you're on a budget, i'd look for one of the newer style E13's with the pressed steel backplate.

rOcKeTdOg

I wasn't being sarcastic btw, the mech has no cable you'll notice, just adjusted limit screws, not dropped the chain yet, net it's lighter than chain guide and bash too

geetee1972
    Free Member

I run an e13LG1+ on my full suss and a Gamut P20 on my Ti456. I've also tried the MRP 1×9 top guide only and a front mech. The front mech only option is a waste of time unless you're only riding fire roads, in which case you don't need a chainguide. At the first sign of a rock plus a bit of speed, the chain will come right off.

The 1×9 MRP (and I assume the e13 version) work well for as long as you're pedaling forwards but the chain can come off the lower part of your (ahem) ring and if you then pedal backwards, it can get fowled between the back plate and the guide and is then a pain the get out.

The e13LG1+ is the more relaible and better wearing product between it and the Gamut, but the Gamut scores highly for being simplicity itself to set up. The only thing you need to watch with the Gamut is that if the gap between the top guide and the chain is too wide, then because the back plate is quite flexy (as Hob Nob points out) the chain can slip between the guide and your ring (which by now must be quite sore). Agan, as with the MRP it's then a pain to get back. This is a easy fix though and you can always err on the side of it rubbing your ring a little until it wears into place.

This thread didn't start off with the intention of being full of double entendres but it does seem to have gone all 'Dave Bromance' on me.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers all. As mentioned, front mech only seems to work if you mince around on fire roads. Which I don't.

I'll take a look at the e13 stuff.

Ta
    Dave

Hallsy
    Free Member

I use a Goldtec Manacle, pretty simialr to an LG1, not as stylish, but I got it very cheap second hand (they're pretty cheap new on BETD site as well). Never dropped a chain, takes a bit of fiddling to set up, but I can't fault it.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

We rode down that last week, my mate with an e13 XCX (I've got one on my race bike and it's been fine- didn't drop the chain once in 10 hours at Moray) and he didn't drop his chain once. It's a rocky bugger of a route, and very fast (not helped by him- he was 2nd at the enduro DH at fort bill).

I've got an E13 SRS on the Bike I used and don't like it- it's a big lump of a thing and such a fag to fit. That and the bottom roller just wears out, adds noise and drag. I'm going down the XCX route on all my bikes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1×9 – What Chain Device?’ is closed to new replies.