Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 1×9 setup recommendations
  • johnduke
    Free Member

I'm switching to a 1×9 setup on my full suss and am wondering what ratios other people use. I generally do everything in the standard middle ring on my triple which I assume is a 32, so I was thinking of going to a 34t chainring and a 11-34 cassette.

What would you recommend?

Also, I think I heard somewhere that with the larger cassette I might not get away with a short cage mech, any experience of problems with that?

RealMan
    Free Member

Also, I think I heard somewhere that with the larger cassette I might not get away with a short cage mech

Should be fine if you're only using one chainring.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

i'd stick with your 32t up front and 11-34 on the rear should cover most requirements.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

I'm running a 32 chainring with a 11-34 cassette and a short cage Saint, works a treat.

PiknMix
    Free Member

running 34 up front with a 11-34 rear

it works for me 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you have the chance to go 10 speed and run a 36t rear with a 32t front, then I think that combination would be even better. I run 32t front by 34t rear and it's fine for probably 85% of UK riding, but I struggle on longer rides in places like the Peak and Lakes.

Short cage rear mech will be fine; the Saint version has a tension adjust that raises and lowers the cage in relation to the cassette and this allows you to fine tune when running a short cage with large sprockets.

IanB
    Free Member

I'm using 34 up front and 11-34 cassette – seems OK.

What are people using to keep the chain on the front ring, in the absence of a front mech?

At the moment I don't have anything, and I loose the chain on rocky descents…

crispedwheel
    Free Member

32T and 11-32 cassette, with an N-stop and bashguard.

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

What are people using to keep the chain on the front ring, in the absence of a front mech?

Pauls Components Chain Keeper, very neat and works a treat!

shortcut

out of interest will a standard singlespeed front ring work with 1×9 or indeed 1×10? Or do you need to use something narrower?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

34 front, 11-32 rear with a shortcage road mech and a DMR chaincage up front.

shortcut, what do you mean by standard? singlespeed rings are available in 1/8th (too fat for 1×9), 3/32 (too fat) and narrow/9spd (OK for 1×9).

I have a narrow MRP, it works nicely

chakaping
    Free Member

Only just gone 1×9 and have left the mech on (after removing shifter and cable) and can't really see the point of spending more.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Running 36T ring with an 11-32 on my BFe. Its fine for the Surrey Hills, but a bit of a grunt in the Peaks.

E13 LG1 here. Not the lightest option compared to the "top only" devices, but it stops chain slap, and the taco has had a decent workout over the last year. Never dropped a chain.

warpcow
    Free Member

34T with 11-34 cassette, med. cage SRAM X9 and an e.13 XCX. Suits my needs. The XCX works fine after a few fitting problems. I haven't lost the chain since I fitted it. I went with a shorter mech because I needed a new one anyway, but I've got friends with basically the same setup but with a normal, long cage mech. I personally think it looks a little silly and it does bounce around a lot more than a shorter, but there seems to be very little in it in terms of function

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

3/32 (too fat)

are you sure about this? I'm pretty certain I have a 3/32 running with a 9speed chain, but i could be wrong.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

but a bit of a grunt in the Peaks.

Much less of a grunt than a singlespeed though.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

34t front, 11-32 out back. I use a Gamut P20 to keep everything together and an X0 short cage rear mech

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

are you sure about this? I'm pretty certain I have a 3/32 running with a 9speed chain, but i could be wrong.

3/32 is 7/8 speed

IanB
    Free Member

I use one of these: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thorn-Thorn-104-mm-PCD-4-Arm-Reversible-Single-Chainring-3-32-Inch–Black-11054.htm
    with my 9sp chain. The taller teeth make a tiny bit of noise against the chain when in the 34t sprocket, but it works fine and the chain sits on the chainring no problems.

Thanks for the chain guide suggestions.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

some manufacturers use 3/32 when the teeth are actually narrower, worth checking, I know some steel 3/32 don't work with 9speed chains.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Thanks for the link IanB, that's the same ring i use but couldn't remember where i got it!

As he said, I use a 41T with a 12-25 cassette for commuting and it works fine.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘1×9 setup recommendations’ is closed to new replies.