• This topic has 32 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 1×9 set up- would this stop the chain jumping from the middle ring?
  • hora
    Free Member

Two questions really.

I have a steel Blackspire inner plate and a blackspire bashguard (ring god).

If I fitted these to my XT crank- it should stop the chain from jumping off on a 1×9 set up?

Also……could I run the 22T granny ring in the centre- is that possible? Dont laugh.

sv

Haha!

Is the 22t not 64BCD or something? Short cage rear mech and it should work with a 32T or similiar.

hora
    Free Member

Whats a 64BCD? Its a long cage mech that Ive got spare/knocking about.

clubber
    Free Member

If I fitted these to my XT crank- it should stop the chain from jumping off on a 1×9 set up?

It'll help and will probably be enough to work fine in most circumstances but won't absolutely guarantee it.

Also……could I run the 22T granny ring in the centre- is that possible? Dont laugh.

LOL 🙂 The inner ring won't fit on the middle ring position – the bolt spacing is completely different.

sv

The middle/outer rings have a 104BCD (size of spider they fit) the granny is smaller and fits inside the others.

The long cage 'might' work its just got a longer throw on the arm, never tried a long cage and it really is all about chain tension.

hora
    Free Member

Ah. Good point.

So I need to spend some ££ and get one of these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35822

🙁

sv

That would certainly do the trick! Or the Pauls chain keeper thing, would also do away with your other gubbins, inner plate etc.

sv
    clubber
    Free Member

The roller device wouldn't really help since it only secures the chain at the bottom – the chain can still jump off the top of the chainring though in theory with the roller, you could back pedal to get the chain back on

ski
    Free Member

just 1×9 my setup & used the rohloff chain guide

http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/chain_guide_cc/index.html

Looked like it might have a bit more mud clearance than the Pauls version.

st

MRP now do a 1.x chain device for 1 x 9 set ups. About £35 from CRC but out of stock, there are others doing them for £40 though. Same idea as the Pauls one but more grrr looking in an MRP way.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

why a 22t ring?

hora
    Free Member

Honestly? I have loads of spare worny-bits for a full hardtail secondhand build EXCEPT a front mech and front mech shifter. Scared to ditch the granny ring.

james
    Free Member

"Whats a 64BCD? Its a long cage mech"
    A 64mm Bolt Circle Diameter for granny rings
    Middle ring position is a 104mm Bolt Circle Diameter

Shorten the chain so it goes round the 2 biggest rings + 1 pair of links and the long cage mech will work. It'll be more in tension than a short cage mech, spending no time in the slacker end of its range of tensioning. If it becomes a problem you can buy a short cage mech later

"one of these"
    That lower roller would only really help with stopping the chain coming off under back pedalling, or if the chain is going to be jumping up and down ridiculously
    A top guide (MRP 1x, Rohloff etc) will guarantee the chain won't come off under normal pedalling, but with an inner and outer guide ring you should be alright for normal riding. Having an inner guide ring should help with back pedalling too
    A lot of people use a bash ring and an Ngear jump stop to do a similar job.

"Scared to ditch the granny ring"]
    Don't be, unless you plan to ride the bike up really steep (sloppy) hills all day long.

rockitman

So, advice please…

If I'm switching to a 1×9 set up I need:

A chain guide + what type of mech? Long or short?

hora
    Free Member

http://www.jdcycles.co.uk/components/chains/n-gear-jump-stop-chain-guide

Wow, thats inspiring- great recommendation.

rockitman. I'm using (as Ive got one knocking about) – a outerbashguard, the above and possibly washers in the chainring bolts (if needed).

sv

I still lost the chain (occasionally) when using a bashguard/n-gear jump stop. The chain keepers are the answer IMO.

adam_h
    Free Member

So, advice please…

If I'm switching to a 1×9 set up I need:

A chain guide + what type of mech? Long or short?

I use a 36t front ring, short cage Sram X.0 mech, Pauls Comp Chain Keeper and 11-34t rear cassette. No problems with this set up 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

have a look at this

hora
    Free Member

Can you buy the chainkeeper in the UK?

hora
    Free Member

bonesetter that is a very very short chain. You'd snap the shifter lever climbing upto the bigring 😯

bonesetter
    Free Member

Here's my current 1×9 on the Paradox

hora
    Free Member

How often do you throw a chain? Or…snap one?

Andy

Shameless plug: Have just taken an N-Gear jump stop off my inbred if anyone wants one. PM me please?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Hmmm Middleburn Uno's might be the answer as I have yet to throw my chain on my 1×6 set up (8sp)

SSP

bonesetter
    Free Member

He he. I like this set-up for its simplicity and not having to ever shift the front. The gearing is set just right for the riding I do, and it looks cool too

The chain never drops, and yes the tensioner is tight, but I don't think it does any harm

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have this set up:

With a stinger underneath:

I started off with just the blackguard on the inside and bashguard on the outside, never dropped the chain but on some rooty DH trails I could feel the chain slipping. Had absolutely no issues since I added the stinger.

However, with the money I spent bit by bit I could have bought a LG-1, which would probably have been lighter.

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

MRP1.X is the way to go.

martinxyz
    Free Member

That looks good up front,scott mcave.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just left the front mech in place and locked it out using the adjuster screws on my FS. I would like a LG1+ but they do look a bit too core and its a big lump of cash spent if I change my mind.

I might change my SS into a 1×9 but havn't decided how to yet it already has a bash and a stinger so maybe a jump stop is all I will need at the front.

hora
    Free Member

Andy YGM re the N-Gear

I_Ache
    Free Member

I dont seem to.

hora
    Free Member

Not you- t'other Andy!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘1×9 set up- would this stop the chain jumping from the middle ring?’ is closed to new replies.