Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1×9 question (again, sorry!) What front chain device?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Down to one of these 2………

N-gear jump stop – looks like it’ll do the job but have to get it from the states, bugger!

OR

Superstar XCR thingy – a bit more DH looking, any good?

……..Or is there anything else the STW massive would recommend to me (i’m on a tight budget btw)

Thanks in advance!

😀

oxnop
    Free Member

I know its not in your shortlist but I use MRP x1 on my soul.

It’s been fine so far not dropped chain once.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bash guard or no bashguard?

With bash i can recommend the E13 ss+. Without, the Superstar Plasma one is very good

P20

I opted for the superstar one, but I haven’t fitted it as I’m waiting on a new bb as the current one is knackered

Northwind

Depends what you want your 1×9 bike to do really! My XC bike has a Superstar XCR BB mount on it, which has worked very well. A little bit brittle but I only managed to break it by being an absolute knob. (forgot it was there, hammered cranks out!). Also added a wee washer to spread the bottom of the cage by half a mm or so for easier setup. But in use it really couldn’t do the job better. Chain can still fall off the bottom as with all these top-only devices.

But that’d be rubbish on the DH bike so it has a Gamut P40 top-and-bottom. Wouldn’t put one of those on the XC bike 😉

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Mikey74 – bashguard and unramped DH ring

Northwind – XC duties mainly but defo some roughstuff but its on a hardtail so no 10ft drops

emanuel
    Free Member

old front mech?
    you can get some 8sp ones for nowt on crc.
    or look up the pinkbike ziptie chaindevice somebody posted here.
    light&cheap.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

BBG bash with N-gear jump stop (you can get them in the UK…)

or just a Superstar chain guide (no bash)

Both good. Just a different look.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

N-gear jump stop (you can get them in the UK…)

where?

atlaz
    Free Member

another vote for the “off menu” MRP 1x here

fenred
    Free Member

Op, JD Cycles are the only UK source for a jump stop as far as I know. At least that’s where I got mine. Go buy u won’t regret it 🙂

bunnerscj
    Free Member

I use a Paul chain keeper – no probs on 1×9 with an unramped front chainring. 🙄

epo-aholic
    Free Member

cheers fenred! 😀

fenred
    Free Member

You’re welcome, enjoy 😆

james
    Free Member

I use a superstar BB mount on the XC bike
    If you don’t plan to backpedal then its fine
    (Thorn unramped chainring btw, no bash)

Badgerpoo
    Free Member

I’m using a BB mounted LG1+, nice and lightweight if you need a bash of some kind and about as secure as you can get.

edhornby

here we are – this looks really good – you could go one better and use 1 or 2 old derailleur jockey wheels (if you have some lying around of course) although someone may have thought of that on the rest of the thread inrat

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1×9 question (again, sorry!) What front chain device?’ is closed to new replies.