Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • 1×9 – Middleburn RS7 Uno as front ring – ok?
  • ikimbunza
    Free Member

Thinking of going 1×9 on my current singlespeed. It currently has a Mburn RS7 sq taper crankset with 32 uno ring.

Question is 'can i use this crankset on a 1×9 setup?' When looking at these cranks on CRC it seems to suggest that they can only be used with a dedicated singlespeed chain. I'd obviously need to change the chain and was thinking of using a standard SRAM one. Would this be ok?

Can anyone help?

Thinking of using the MRPx.1 chain device as well. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Thanks in advance…

29erKeith
    Free Member

can't see why not

you'll probably need some sort of double sided chain guide so you don't loose the chain on the front all the time though

something like one of these

I'm sure there are some neater ones than that but can't remember what they're called

warpcow
    Free Member

Getting the chain aligned with the guide could be a problem. I have sq-taper RS7s with a regular spider and ring and had to put washers on the chainring bolts to shift the chainline in about 2mm. It works ok, but can jump occasionally shifting to the lowest gear.

That was with an e.13 XCX but the MRP looks about the same, though some have said it has more adjustment. I'd look a a Paul's Chainkeeper if I was doing it again.

packer
    Free Member

The Uno chainrings are available in two widths, for singlespeed chains and nine speed chains. If you have the thicker one then it won't work very well with a nine speed chain.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘1×9 – Middleburn RS7 Uno as front ring – ok?’ is closed to new replies.