Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 1×9 is go! but…………….
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

Would the roller be better where it is, or on the top where the chain comes onto the chainring?

nodrog2
    Free Member

Where you’ve got it. Got a DMR speed guide if you want to try it above the chainring for extra security Oxo.

willej

On the top I’d say.

ton

very nice indeed paul….

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Got those Nukeproof bars ton. 760 wide, **** me!

ton

i have em on the ventana and the stiffee, they are very good…. 8)

nodrog2
    Free Member

Pfft 760mm. Gonna try some of the syncros 790mm 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

😛

Ghetto tubeless was a doddle on those rims too. XC717’s Advantage Rear/High Roller front. Nowhere near the nightmare I had with the stans strips on XM321’s.

takisawa2

Thats lovely mate.
    Would look good with some black (Hone) cranks.
    Will the chain come off…I have no idea!!!

firestarter
    Free Member

ghetto just seems to work great i had loads of faff with my dt rims with dt tubeless kit i tried ghetto on on other xm321 and it worked straight away no problems . Still hold air better than my proper set up lol

BluePalomino
    Free Member

i allways thought the bottom chain guide should be just touching the chain plus 6-8mm or a tad more. to me yours is set way too tight, prob to compensate for too long chain, or have i been missing the point all these years? (quite possible) :o)

ton

mick, yours hold air better cos they never get any weight sat on em…. 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I don’t know, I figured the more chain I could wrap round the cog, the less chance it could fall off. I also think there’s more chance it’ll suck and hit the stay, as it’s nearly there already, only time will tell I suppose

ton

paul if it works it……..works… 8)

BluePalomino
    Free Member

paul if it works it……..works… [8)]

true. but i would imagine the amount of tension being created on the guide is going to wear the roller out pretty quick.

retro83
    Free Member

i personally weould put it on the top, to keep the chain on the front ring. The rear mech can keep it on the sprocket at the back 🙂

That bike looks great fun

firestarter
    Free Member

lol tony 😉

AdamM
    Free Member

Roller where it is. If you want to put something on the top, it should be a cage of some sort. Or an N-Gear Jump Stop, cheap and effective.

Vortexracing

Is a chain retainer on the front necessary on a 1×9? or can you get away without one?

dobo
    Free Member

depends how you ride vortexracing, there was a good thread on mtbr about 1×9’s

mike_check
    Free Member

I’d say it’s essential to have a top guide on a 1×8/9 setup, once you’ve lost the chain pedalling over some roots/bumps, and had a knee-stem incident because of it, you will agree!

Would go for a cage style guide at the top, can be a bit fiddly to set up at first but with a little time and adding/removing of small washers/spacers can get it running silently with no way of letting the chain jump off.

chela
    Free Member

There’ve been a few threads on 1×9 on here recently. Consensus seems to be that chain flings around all over the place without a tensioner and that a Jump Stop and bashring is the best way to keep it becalmed.

It’s a pity cuz I’d love the simplicity of 1×9 without those bits and pieces cluttering up the bike.

Vortexracing

only reason i was asking was that I was considering it on my new Alpine.

I was looking at the Gamut P20. Light and simple.

james
    Free Member

“seems to be that chain flings around all over the place without a tensioner and that a Jump Stop and bashring is the best way to keep it becalmed.

It’s a pity cuz I’d love the simplicity of 1×9 without those bits and pieces cluttering up the bike.”

Using an unramped (one not designed to do any shifting) has longer teeth (deeper than the chain) stops the chain falling off 99% off the time (lifting over gates/in crashes are where it tends to come off), and lets you get away with just a chainring though

househusband

I’ve just done exactly as suggested by James; unramped FSA DH chainring, an N-Gear Jump Stop, and a BBG Bashguard. Has worked a treat so far.

AdamM
    Free Member

D’oh, forgot to mention the bashguard, although I was thinking it. Decent unramped chainring (SJS Cycles do some really nice own brand ones for not much cash), bashguard and a jumpstop and you’ll have no problems. Also looks a lot nicer/cleaner than a cage!

bonesetter
    Free Member

I don’t use anything – steps, rocks, curbs – NEVER comes off

Use a short cage out back and chain as tight as you can get it fo a much cleaner look

therealhoops
    Free Member

god yeh, stick it on the top. I use an old mech wedged open with the plastic bit that comes with it to help you set it up. It’s never come off once.

HTTP404
    Free Member

I used to use an n-gear jump stop (aesthetically looks great and weighs nothing) combined with a bash and unramped chainring. That worked well. I’d be interested to retry with a much shortened chain and short cage rear mech as per bonesetter because looks wise it would look cleaner for sure. Crunchy nuts for breakfast and not for the sake of losing a chain whilst MTBing. 🙂

AdamM
    Free Member

Bonesetter, that is one gorgeous chainring (if a chainring can be considered gorgeous). Is it a Boone?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It’s a pity cuz I’d love the simplicity of 1×9 without those bits and pieces cluttering up the bike.

… you could go 1×1 … even better 😉

bonesetter
    Free Member

AdamM – Member

Bonesetter, that is one gorgeous chainring (if a chainring can be considered gorgeous). Is it a Boone?

Adam – Yes It’s a Boone, and yes isn’t it just gorgeous.

Even makes the good looking ‘burn’s look rather normal

chela
    Free Member

… you could go 1×1 … even better

I have/do/am!

Love it. That’s why I can’t bring myself to put bits n pieces on my bike. But I like the idea of the increased versatility of having a few gears to get me around faster and help me out on big hils whilst still retaining some of that simplicity. Could be a good compromise.

I might give it a go and see how it goes.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘1×9 is go! but…………….’ is closed to new replies.