Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1×9 help needed for novice mechanic
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Am looking to convert my XT 3×9 to a 1×9 on my 2006 Cove Stiffee. If I keep the middle chainring, do I need different bolts? If so which ones?
    Secondly can anyone recommend a cheap but decent chain device ( I’m not too rad these days, so doesn’t need to be too good)

Thanks all

davewalsh
    Free Member

To fit a single ring you’ll need a set of single ring bolts, the current ones will be too long (alternatively, you could cut the existing ones down, that’s what I did).

As for chain device, try fitting a narrow-wide ring first, in my experience I’ve never dropped the chain at all with just the NW ring.

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks Dave – any recommendations on the bolts and chainring?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nixon
    Free Member

You can also use some appropriate size washers to space out the original bolts so that they’ll still grip the chainring.

davewalsh
    Free Member

Can’t comment on bolts but I used a superstar chainring. Chainring performed perfectly however I was a bit surprised at the wear rate, however that’s probably because the chain was already well worn when I fitted it. If I was buying again then I’d take another punt on the superstar but use it with a new chain and see if that lasts any better.

marcgear
    Free Member

You can use the same size bolts if you fit a bash ring, which is a good idea, because it’ll look neat, and it’ll help keep the chain on without having to run a chain device (although it could still slip on the inside. My 1×9 has an on-one stainless 32T (£20), hope bash ring (£32) and a jump stop (http://n-gear.com/index.html – £10).

Or you can spend a fortune on some e-thirteen chain device and/or a wide-narrow chainring (which admittedly I have on the 1×11)

bm0p700f
    Free Member

A narrow wide chainring is a good idea. It is true that some rings are softer than others. Try a race face ring they might fair better and they come as narrow wide. I find ta rings to be the most durable but no narrow wide. The teeth are quite tall which aids retention and the ramps and pins dont seem to cause much of a problem.

scaredypants

my 1×10 has a bashring outside and a raidium (or bbgbashguard, I don’t remember which) on the inside

hasn’t ever dropped the chain, but then I’m a freewheeler when it’s bumpy and fast – maybe if you tend to pedal those bits you might need narrowwide and/or clutch mech etc instead

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks very much everyone, I’ve gone for some single ring chain bolts using my existing middle ring to start off with. If ok, I’ll go for a dedicated wide/narrow ring.

Thanks again

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1×9 help needed for novice mechanic’ is closed to new replies.