Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • 1×9 chain keeps falling of ideas please
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

running a 1×9 on my commuter with old ramped middle chain ring and a Race face bashguard, chain is pretty tight on an 08 Xt r mech dont think its a short cage , and the chain keeps dropping onto the bb side when in high (easy) gear. Chain to tight/ loose, anyone recomend a chain guide . Cheers

nina
    Free Member

just use an old front mech

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

Check the chain line, try a non-ramped ring, some sort of chain guide (front mech style, DMR and Rohloff do one…or bodge a ft mech!)

Try in that order.

SSP

TheGingerOne
    Steve-Austin
    Free Member

just use an old front mech

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You need an unramped chainring to make 1×9 work. I tried it witha ramping ring and the chain would come off in anything but 3=7 gears. With an unramped chainring it stays on fine.

desf
    Free Member

Same as TJ. I use an unramped Blackspire DH ring from CRC and the chain has never come off.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Got an unramped 32 but its 5 bolt and ive got 4 bolt race face cranks anyone got a 28 to 32 unramped 4 bolt

speaker2animals

As Tandem Jeremy says, but maybe have a look at the chainline too. Make sure that sprocket 5 is as close to directly inline with the front ring as possible. If necessary get a new bottom bracket (assuming you’re using a square taper that you can get different axle lengths for).

sv

Go for the Chain Guide if you want to be sure. If its only for commuting the jump stop ‘might’ work!

(1×9 user)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its only for commuting unramped chainring does work – so hundreds of miles use tell me. Zero need for owt else
    KISS

AdamM
    Free Member

SJS Cycles sell really nice unramped chainrings for not very much money.

2bit

I had similar problems with my 1×9 set on my scandal 29er.
    Totally sorted & v v happy with a Rohloff chain guide – http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/chain_guide_cc/

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the help going to check the chain line , the rohloff chain guide is nice but this is going on my bike for £100 quid project so a 40 pound chain guide might be a bit to much . cheers people of stw

sockpuppet

oh, and ‘high’ isn’t ‘easy’!

stonemonkey
    Free Member

yeah i was tying to remember which it was

paule
    Free Member

If you can get hold of some sort of clamp to go round the seattube, then I can send you a basic chain guide like the one I made for my 1×9. Very simple, just a 2″ long upside down L-section of nylon with a counterbored hole for a bolt to attach it to the clamp. Side of the L goes next to the rind, top of it above the ring.

Works well so far, and that’s on rocks rather than just commuting.

Send me an email if you want a pic of my one…

oxym0r0n

Go for the Chain Guide if you want to be sure. If its only for commuting the jump stop ‘might’ work!

The jump stop ‘does’ work – I’ve been riding with TheGingerOne on the Quantocks and Cwm Carn with his fully rigid death-machine and the chain didn’t jump off once!

Pieface

For free and for commuting, don’t use gear #9

Pieface

or what the others said

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FFS – its only a commuter – just use an unramped chain ring and it will be fine. Got two bikes set up like this and its never an issue.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

paule my emails in profile cant find yours , am up at crookes in sheff are you local

paule
    Free Member

I’m in walkley, so very local… my email is paul.elliott AT rgfl.org

allyharp

How well will an unramped chainring work with a long cage mech? Still skip?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not for me. Shorten the chain using big / big plus two links and its fine using a normal long cage mech. Only for road use tho

thomthumb
    Free Member

n gear jump stop is the best solution.

I’ve got a 33T ring that you could have for a fiver. bit worn but not too bad. i’ll dig it out for a photo anyway.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Chhers mr thumb mail in profile

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Unramped chain ring and shorten your chain. Like your man TJ says

mudsux
    Free Member

i have a couple of n-gear jump stops available.
    i think in 31.8 and 34.9 sizing. email in profile if interested.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘1×9 chain keeps falling of ideas please’ is closed to new replies.