Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1×11 when to change chain and which chain?
  • pipiom
    Free Member

Ridden about 6 months on Carbine, app 200 miles per month.

Is it time to change chain
    Or is it too late

What is the best chain to use

njee20
    Free Member

Get a chain checker, change at 0.75%, quite possibly too late. I use XX1 chains.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Someone mentioned paying under £20 for ther chains on the other recent thread.

I can only find a road chain for that kinda money.

I want at least a couple of chains so I can rotate them so a good price would be handy.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

0.75% as per njee.

I’m using Ultegra 6700 10s chains quite happily – about £13 or £14.

DanW
    Free Member

There a few big XX1 threads here on STW and most people’s thoughts seem to match Njee above and my own findings…

XX1 chain has by far worked the best for me. I previously swore by KMC and tried Shimano out of curiosity but nothing was quick as slick as the XX1 chain.

Get a chain checker, change at 0.75%

This is the only way to know when to change chains. Not everyone’s miles are equal for wear and tear but changing a chain before it is too knackered seems to keep everything running well.

If you put a new chain on and it jumps all over the place then the old one was probably too worn- best thing to do here is run the old chain until it too starts skipping IMO.

I changed chains at 0.5 stretch (if I remembered to check!) but more often than not 0.75 stretch. I’ve stopped counting the number of chains I’ve used in the past year (at a guess I’d have to say 4 or 5) but the cassette still works perfectly with the new one I put on last week. The cassettes may be expensive but I’ve had far more life out of it than any other I’ve previously ridden- great bit of kit 😀

pipiom
    Free Member

1x. XX1 chain ordered from CRC…..should I measure it up against the old one, or is there a magic formula for old people?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Park Tools chain checker they reccomend 0.5 on 11 speed

🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

There are instructions to get the measurement right with the chain. Run around largest rear cog not through derailer and measure with suspension compressed then shorten. Thread correctly through derailer and join.

here https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/T7YRSTHSNBjTvFzsLckvfK5CMekQ9hy6bt_n0bhTqM0/mtime:1412196372/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-2418-002-000_rev_b_2015_cassettes_and_chains.pdf

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1×11 when to change chain and which chain?’ is closed to new replies.