Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1×10 Why not Saint or Zee?
  • ricdiggle
    Free Member

Building up a Turner 5 Spot at the moment and will be going 1×10.

As I have on two previous bikes, most people seem to stick to SLX or XT triples with the outer rings removed.

Is there a huge weight penalty for simply buying a 1x specific crankset like the Saint or Zee models?

Any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance,

Richard

Mackem

I’m using a Zee with an XT triple, using a bash and the middle ring. I dont think I’m disadvantaging myself, it works great.

Rickos
    Free Member

If you want a bashring you might not be able to fit one (I don’t know, maybe you can), but otherwise makes no odds.

Mackem

Could always get the hope integrated chainring/bash thing if you do get a 1x specific crank.

burnie
    Free Member

There is a weight penalty and until Zee came out there was a large price penalty. Triples also give you the option to convert back to triple or double in future.

ricdiggle
    Free Member

Thanks for responses.

Has anyone used a Zee chain set? Is is just a one ring SLX Chainset or something different?

warpcow
    Free Member

It’s a one ring Deore chainset, with added ‘chunk’.

svalgis
    Free Member

IIRC it’s basically a converted Deore, so I’d prefer SLX for trail/AM. Saint is probably way overbuilt for those applications as well.

edit: second

ricdiggle
    Free Member

I didn’t realise it was Deore. The rear mech looks identical to the new SLX one.

Thanks again for info.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Rear mech is based on current SLX, chainset is based on a Deore crank but with a stronger axle.

vincienup
    Free Member

I think Zee may be a bit of a mish mash of Deore and SLX – a bit less cut and dry than Hone was. The RD is definitely more SLX – I have one and it’s lovely. Crisp and quick, stays tucked out of the way and the clutch does exactly what it should. The shifter is a bit chunky but has a 6xx model number for those that watch such things, so also probs SLX based – I’ve heard it has a bit more leverage to compensate for the clutch- can’t comment on that as it’s still in the box and I’m running an SLX shifter instead (long story).
    I know nothing about the crank, but IMHO for the money (although cheaper than Saint) I’d consider a single ring RF Respond at CRC…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saint will probably have a weight penalty that might make in a bad choice (if you can actually find comparable weights listed) not sure on Zee.

svalgis
    Free Member

Should’ve said I was referring to the cranks. Mech is basically SLX with short cage.

stu1972
    Free Member

We have one on our FR/DH bike and its fine.

The chainring got launched in favour of a Hope one so can’t vouch for that though.

Definitely not a rebadged Deore M590 crank although is similar in appearance.
    The Deore arms are more scalloped on the back of them. Metal pedal inserts as well on the Zee same as SLX bash ring model.

Mix of SLX & Deore I’d say

kayak23

I use saints 1×9 on my bike. Great, but probably heavy .

Northwind

Saint is less heavy than you’d think- not XC light mind but not bricks heavy. Expensive, though, and for most folks you’re paying extra for something you don’t really need.

Re Zee mech- if you look closely, there’s some variations over SLX in the main body too, it seems to have the Saint knuckle fitted (there’s a hole for one end of the Saint’s reinforcement arm, though no actual reinforcement)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1×10 Why not Saint or Zee?’ is closed to new replies.