Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 1×10 should I?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I was going to continue with my 2 x 10 setup, but having been out again tonight trying a new way to deflect mud away from the front mech im still having issues where the shift change is fine until there is a bit of mud on it then im adding tension thru the ride.

Basically this has pissed me off so much tonight coupled with a new problem after changing to mt zoom jockey wheels that Im considering going 1×10.

Less to go wrong, but also less gear ratios.

What are peoples thoughts? What size front ring would you go with?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Go 1×10. A 34t ring should get you anything.

killwillforchips
    Free Member

34 tooth renthal chain ring.
    E thirteen LG1 trail.

Done.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Would I need to replace my sram s1400 crankset? Or just the ring?

Stiggy

You can actually get a bling ring from mrp that’ll bolt straight onto your crank by getting rid of your spider.

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I won’t go back to having a front mech until I am physically incapable of churning uphill in 32:36.

Light, low maintenance, can fit a proper chain device, looks rad (always important), and an 11-36 cassette gives you plenty of options for ratios.

philbert31
    Free Member

I’m running 1×9, with a 36 up front, it can be a grind sometimes but is generally ok, although I’ve some shiny new xt parts to go 10 speed which are going on tomorrow 😀

boxfish
    Free Member

I went 1×10 as I was getting hacked off with chain suck.

34t chainring with 12-36t cassette. I can get up most stuff I try…

The chain stays on fine with a Shadow+ mech and a Blackspire EinfachX guide.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Would a 32t be ok? Cos im a bit of a sram man (except for brakes) and can get kit for 50quid with a guard!

Have you got a link for the mrp one so I choose the right one. I can be incredibly stupid sometimes!

oldnick

Being an ex roadie I loathe big ratio changes, if that doesn’t bother you go for it, so much neater looking 🙂

Me, i tie wrap a bit of innertube over the mech to keep it clean, not so neat 🙁

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Forget that, found it. However what guide would work as im not paying £100 for the micro g2sl just cos they say so.

tk46hal
    Free Member

1 x10 covers most things for me though it’s a 29er with 36 at front and 36-11 at back.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

I’m running 1×9 XTR 34/11-34 with Rotor cranks….I had a few teething issues most notably from the SuperShite Components chain guide (MRP) don’t don one which fits my plastic press fit BB/chain line on the crank. but now with some sturdying up for the rigours of XC racing it’s all good.

It’s lighter it’s simpler.

I wouldn’t go back.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Ok so concensus is do It. However what chainguide now? Using a sram s1400 crankset gxp so what is compatible with that. The lg1 looks great although pricey.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Depends on what u use the bike for…….

I ran 1 x 9 for 4 years, changed to 1 x 10 when I built my latest steed (Cotic Solaris)

I use my bike mainly for trail centre duties and it is perfect, nice spread of gears.

Running 34T chainring with 11-36 cassette.

Bare in mind u will need some sort of chain device.

I have a Pauls chain keeper:

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, works for me! 36t ring.

philbert31
    Free Member

Lg1 are v good, mine was a bit fiddly to line up…oh and if you do get one be careful tightening the grub screws 😳

Northwind

It’s definitely worth a try. One of my main bikes is 2×9, the other is 1×10, I won’t be changing either unless the hardware changes again.

MRP 1X top guide is excellent… whether you need a full guide or just a top depends on your bike and your riding, clutch mech + hardtail does the job for me so far. The big bike would probably get a double guide.

nikxl
    Free Member

I just went 1×10 looked at getting a nice chainring and an E13 chain guide then looked at German prices for a XX1 chainset. It was an easy decision for me, a bit of extra cash saved me just over .5kg off the bike.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Hmm think its the way forward. Got a full suss 29er use it mainly for local trail riding and the occasional race ( well everyone else races and I just pay to ride my local trails.)

So what do I need to consider in terms of gxp bb and chain guide as I would like an lg1

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Nikxl how much was the chainset?

geetee1972
    Free Member

You won’t need anything up front bigger than a 32t unless you’re a super fit roadie doing lots of road riding.

Off road, i am willing to bet you really you don’t need anything bigger than 32t by 11t rear.

fathomer

I keep thing about 1×10 just not sure I’ve got the legs for it when I get to places like the Peaks, I often find myself dropping to the granny (currently 2×9).

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

I run a 1×10 on my El Guapo. with a 32t blackspire chainring on front, short cage rear mech and 12-36 rear cassette. And as Ed Oxley said “if I cant ride up it with that, I’ll be goin soo slow I may as well push!” (Or something along those lines).

Plus with no front mech shifter you can mount your reverb remote on the left.!. win

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Ooooooh ‘need’to change my rear mech now!

nikxl
    Free Member

The XX1 chainset is around £200 online depending on the version you need

bazza17
    Free Member

I have a 36 front ring and 11-36 cassette and it works good for me. If your commute is extremely hilly you may find it challenging but good for the fitness.

bazza17
    Free Member

I have a 36 front ring and 11-36 cassette and it works good for me. If your commute is extremely hilly you may find it challenging but good for the fitness.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Nikxl I take it thats just for the crankset?

Question now is if I put a bling ring on would I need to space it on the cranks. Also what e13 will fit my frame. Iscg5 iscg old? Its qukte confusing really!

nikxl
    Free Member

Yes chainset with 32 ring.

I looked at hope chainrings and an E13 frame mount guide

Then I saw the XX1 BB30 chainset at 209 euros so decided to replace the cranks. Think it cost me an extra £70 quid over a new ring, guide & bolts not an insignificant amount but I didn’t have a nice set of cranks already.

The GXP version is cheaper

johnellison
    Free Member

I’m thinking about going 1 x 10 myself.

Currently my lowest gear is 22 x 32 giving 17,9 gear inches; going to a 32 x 36 will give me 23,1 gear inches so whilst it is higher, it isn’t that much higher, and TBH it’s very rare that I use my very lowest two gears anyway – I’m usually off and walking by then!!

Mackem

A related thread, I’m going for the Raidium thing…

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

See your thinking there nikxl and also in a great place to go get the whole xx1 setup over time! May well do the same!

As looking at mrp ring and e13 im looking at £140 at least! Plus sundries!

njee20
    Free Member

Then I saw the XX1 BB30 chainset at 209 euros so decided to replace the cranks. Think it cost me an extra £70 quid over a new ring, guide & bolts not an insignificant amount but I didn’t have a nice set of cranks already.

Bear in mind without a Shadow Plus or Type2 rear mech the xx1 chainset is wasted, and if you want a size other than 32t it gets expensive!

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Yeah think I might just go with the ring and guide

nikxl
    Free Member

Yes I already had a shadow+ rear mech. Forgot about that.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘1×10 should I?’ is closed to new replies.