Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 1×10 shifting issues
  • zacgillbanks
    Free Member

I’ve just set up my Chameleon as 1×10 with the following:
    Race Face 36T narrow wide chainring, XT shifter, XT cassette, Zee mech and SRAM 1091 chain. Gear cable and outer are both brand new.

The shifting seems to be ok at best. Sometimes when I shift down a gear, the chain drops 2 cogs instead of 1, but then seems to realise it shouldn’t have done this and skips back up 1 again to correct itself.

The XT shifter has a double-click thing, but it happens when only clicking the shifter once, and the chain jumps back up to the correct position again anyway!?

I’ve tried turning the barrel adjuster in both directions (1/4 turn at a time) but I can’t fix the problem. It doesn’t happen all the time, but is obviously a pain when it does.

Has anyone had any similar issues or any ideas how to fix this?

Cheers.

this_wreckage
    Free Member

Total guess as I’ve never had this happen but, bent hanger?

zacgillbanks
    Free Member

Forgot to mention this is on an XT triple crank with the chainring in the middle ring position.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zacgillbanks
    Free Member

I thought about the hanger but it looks ok – as far as I can tell.

iffoverload
    Free Member

b screw/ guide pulley a bit far out?

gonzy
    Free Member

as above…could be the mech hanger or b tension screw. also check the cable routing for any kinks. if you’ve fitted a new rear mech it might be worth checking that you’ve installed it correctly i.e. the the little tab on the rear mech is sat in the little groove on the mech hanger

wwaswas

Is any of the other kit chain/cassette/front of different ages/wear?

ssboggy

Are the bearings ok in the freehub? I recently had a problem with shifting on a similar set up and the bearings were very worn in the freehub body so allowing the cassette to get out of line. It was worse on the bigger sprockets.
    I changed the freehub and haven’t had any issues since

danielgroves
    Free Member

Did you change the cables when you fitted it all? If you’re using old gear cables they could be gunked up and sticking inside the outer.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

+ 1 for checking the cable and shifter I had problem a few months ago and it was to do with this.

zacgillbanks
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice.

I turned the b screw 1/2 a turn clockwise and have had a short ride out tonight.

The problem seems to have been cured!! Cheers iffoverload

dannyh
    Free Member

Good to hear you got it sorted. Chasing gear changing problems can be quite trying. Possibilities are (depending on symptoms).

Shifter gunged up or broken
    Cable not sliding properly through outers
    Cable tension wrong
    Limit screws not set correctly
    B tension not set correctly
    Clutch too tight or not tight enough
    Bent mech hanger
    Bent mech
    Sloppy pivots
    Worn jockey wheels
    Cassette lockring loose
    Worn cassette
    Worn chain rings
    Worn chain

To name but a few!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘1×10 shifting issues’ is closed to new replies.