Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1×10 set up advice
  • matther01
    Free Member

Having a bit of a debate with myself about going 1×10.

Im not hugely fit due to a knee injury and with young kids end up a bit of trail warrior apart from the odd venture into the welsh mountains.

If i were to go 1×10, what cassette and ring sizes would folks recommend?

It will be for a transition 26 bandit.

Cheers

joeelston
    Free Member

11-36 out back. Start with a 32t front ring and see from there. I’m not especially fit and run a 34t up front.

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I would consider myself reasonably fit and run a 34 up front. My overly fit house mate runs a 36 but weighs nothing although he is considering running a 37T oval ring.

Like joeelston said, run a 32 and you can go one up or down from there, should be plenty

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Same dilemma, knew I could handle it wheb fit but currently only riding every couole of weeks. I went 32t on my Mega for peak riding and took the Croozer round Ladybower last week no probs. It’s great, glad I did it.

Simon

Im not hugely fit

In that case if you ride where there are steep hills I wouldn’t bother going 1×10, keep your granny ring.

tmb467
    Free Member

Aye – spend a bit of time just using the middle ring and see how you find it

Work out what gears you don’t use and see how you feel

svalgis
    Free Member

In that case if you ride where there are steep hills I wouldn’t bother going 1×10, keep your granny ring

I’ll go ahead and say the exact opposite – go 1×10 right now and enjoy getting a lot fitter in the near future.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

If you don’t consider yourself very fit then run a 32t ring with an 11-36t cassette. In fact, run an 11-36t cassette no matter what.

Oh, and make sure you go for one of the new thick/thin chain rings, like the one from Works Components, that don’t need chain devices. It’s a win win situation.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I have been running 1×9 with a 34 up front for years now with no problems. I’m not that fit so I really can’t see you need any more.

John

Superficial
    Free Member

Depends where you ride, too. On long rides with steep tech uphill stuff in the peak, I find 32t quite big enough, and i consider myself at least reasonably fit. On the other hand, if I rode fire roads up and trail centres, then 36t would probably be alright.

Definitely agree with 11:36 at the back.

matther01
    Free Member

I’m going to take the plunge.

Already got a 11-36 and with a thick thin ring and clutch mech should in theory do the job without the expense of a guide.

As recommended…I’ll start on 32.

Thanks folks

proflexforever
    Free Member

ive been running a 11-36 rear and 32 up front for years….
    getting a bit older and fatter now so have pussied out and gone down to a 30T on the front with short cage type 2 rear mech for now….only been out on it once…seemed ok…didnt run out of gears…got to take it to wales for a bashing first..

kept the 32t just incase

johnellison
    Free Member

Im not hugely fit

In that case if you ride where there are steep hills I wouldn’t bother going 1×10, keep your granny ring.

I’m not hugely fit, I live where there are steep hills and I went 1 x 10. I get out once or twice a week maximum. Best move I ever made. If I can’t pedal up a hill, I’m not too proud to get off and walk.

32T chainring, 11-36T cassette BTW.

jeffm
    Free Member

I run 32 front and 11-36 back.
    Best decision I made building the bike. Wouldn’t go back to double / triple.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ran 36 up front with 9 11-34 on the back for a year or so back on 09. Rode all over Oz on a heavy (35lb) bike by the end of it coupled with riding every day at times I could cope but it was hell on the steep long hills.

I got back to the UK and moved up to the lakes – I went back to 2x

My usual advice, depends on where you live, who you are, how you ride and a bit more.
    If your not on for the high cadence then the small front ring might be a problem, which then leads you to a bigger front so higher bottom gear.

patriotpro
    Free Member

This

11-36 out back. Start with a 32t front ring and see from there. I’m not especially fit and run a 34t up front.

and

I run 32 front and 11-36 back.
    Best decision I made building the bike. Wouldn’t go back to double / triple.

I run a 11-36 and a 34t up front, have decent leg strength and have a moderate level of fitness. My advice would be the above comments as 32t is a better Winter-ring due to extra torque and traction required in the current and forthcoming wet and grip-poor conditions.

I know some people run a 30t ring but my advice to them would be to get fitter or buy a bike with a motor 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1×10 set up advice’ is closed to new replies.