Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 1×10 Set Up?
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

New to this 10spd lark.

Thinking about setting up a 1×10 after seeing a nice Yeti at Wolftrax with a neat similar setup.

Considering just using a 32T ring on some old cranks and an 11-36 on the back.

Questions:

I could use an old derailleur to hold the chain on but are there any decent/cheap guides folk can recommend?

If I want to go for a double on the front do I need narrower 10spd rings?

I can only see Shimano “10spd” cranks in triple guise. Don’t they make doubles? I thought the point of 10spd was to lessen the number of front shifts?

takisawa2

Superstarcomponents one is working ok with my 1×10 set up. They do a nicer seat-tube mounted one now.
    Front ring is a just a cheap 9spd Deore job.

32 x 11-36 does me fine.

IMAG0526 by pten2106, on Flickr

mrblobby
    Free Member

Make sure you know what your chainline is and get one that works with that. Picked up a BB mounted XCX one that didn’t fit mine 🙁 Don’t think it’s such an issue with an ISCG mounted one as it’s easier to space out.

tang
    Free Member

Ngear jumpstop and a bash ring, old 9spd 32 ring, 11-36 out back, med cage mech. 1 year on all good!

dan1980
    Free Member

Sorry for the ignorance, but will any chain ring do (so long as the bcd matches) to go 1×9 or 10?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep basically.

I run 36 with 11-36, love it.

faaz
    Free Member

quick question regarding my 1 x 9 setup

Gammut or Renthal for a 36t chainring? been running just the middle ring on my hollowtech for a while now and need a bit more oomph for the flat stuff. Renthal I can get cheap through work (trade) but gammut I could special order cheap as well.

Not sure which is better

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info folks.

Do you need a “10spd” mech to handle the 36T or will any SGS cage work?

andyl
    Free Member

you would be much better going for an unramped ie single speed chainring.

The teeth are deeper and no shift ramps trying to throw the chain off.

And yes you will need a 10 speed rear mech for the 10 speed cassette. And a 10 speed shifter as different pull rates.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I went for renthal, it’s very nice. Still dropped the chain loads until I fitted an LG1+.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Fazz: I can really recommend Renthal, I have a 34 tooth & it’s excellent. I use a Superstar like pictured by takisawa2 too. Perfecto

mafiafish
    Free Member

Yep, get a top and bottom guide if you ride rough stuff. I don’t loose the chain much (using a superstar top guide) but for enduros or uplift days it gets pretty annoying.

meribelmtb
    Free Member

Put a 32t e13 chainring on my Zesty and love it.

If I wasn’t out here I’d want a 34t+ as it’s easy enough to spin out when on the flat/downhill but with the climbing here I need a 32t until my calves get bigger….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘1×10 Set Up?’ is closed to new replies.