Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • 1X10 Ratios this time
  • discoduck
    Free Member

I’m just toying with the idea of going 1 up, currently running 2X10

Granny ring is 26T rear cassette is 36T
    I’m going to put a 40T Hope expander on the rear and bob a 30T narrow wide ring up front.

Question is, what am I gaining ? What am I losing ?

In my head I’m no better off as I’m gaining a bigger rear cassette easy and a bigger front harder and actually added 4 teeth to the granny and countered that by adding 4 Teeth to the rear cassette.

On paper I’m not sure how it works ? I don’t want a Graph to see how it pedals I just need to know please, if some one has done the same how has it worked for you and was it any easier to pedal on the ups as I’m not getting any younger or fitter.

scaled
    Free Member

You’ll spin out with a 30t up front.

I’m running a 32t raceface N/W and a t-rex at the back on a 2012 mega, gets me up pretty much everything

gear inches

36 40
    26 19.0 17.1
    32 23.4 21.0

Gah – ST takes the spaces out.

scaredypants

your new bottom ratio is 30/40 = 0.75
    your old bottom ratio was 26/36 = 0.72
    so your bottom gear will be a bit harder (4 percnet or so ?)

Your new top ratio is 30/11 (I assume) = 2.73
    Your old top ratio was 38(?)/11 = 3.45
    So your top gear will be quite a lot easier (20 pc or so ?)

what wheelsize is that, 29 ? (sounds very easy bottom gear for a 26er – I’m a tubby old git and I ride 34 front and 36 rear on 26″ wheels (not super steep but pretty long climbs – up to 6 miles)

discoduck
    Free Member

scaredypants, Cheers

It is a 26″ steed, im frequently finding myself in the Peaks and i’m hanging out on the steep techy climbs, On Sunday 3 others had 1X11 and were straight up that evil climb with the concrete section that leads up to Winn Hill, They were SRAM with 42 Teeth i think,

So, looking at your equations, in the front 30T & rear 40T its going to be 4% harder to spin it out.

njee20
    Free Member

As said, it’s the other end that’s the issue. You’ll spin out very quickly with a 30/11 top gear. If you’re ok with that then go nuts.

Kahurangi

ou’ll spin out very quickly with a 30/11 top gear

I only spin out with that on a tarmac descent anyway. YMMV depending on where you ride, your wheel size and how big your legs are 🙂

Furious

I went 1×10 with 30t up front/36t at the back initially. Recently added a 40t T-Rex for the steeper parts of the Peak District and to give me a bit of a bail out option. Nothing I can’t get up that my mates can with 2×10. I do spin out on road descents but try and keep that to a minimum. Not found myself spinning out downhill off-road. Really pleased I made the change, less maintenance, nice having essentially sequential shifting i.e. not having to shift down on the front, simpler layout on the bars and in my experience better chain retention. Hope that helps.

bruneep

didn’t think a 40t on a 36t rear works?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I use 11-36 with a 40t hope expander, 32 up front.

It’s fantastic, can get up anything and have not spun out yet on downhills offroad. Only thing i want to do it add a 16t as the 13- 18 (i think) is quite a big jump and i miss the 15t a little.

do it, it’s brill.

andycs

Try it without the extender, you might be surprised at what you can climb. 32-36 works just fine.

dunmail
    Free Member

I run 32T up front and 11-40 on the back (29er). I’d say 80% of my riding is in the middle 6 gears, another 15% or so on the next two out an the remaining 5% on either the 11T or the 40T. If I get to the speed where I spin out on the 11T then I’m going fast enough to freewheel. The 40T is mostly a get out of jail card, useful on loose climbs as you can keep sat down and the power even.

discoduck
    Free Member

Dunmail, as above that’s basically what I’m after something to help on the steep techy stuff, I can’t see me spinning out off road except for maybe spooky woods at GT or a few of the fire roads at CYB ? Some of the descends in the Peaks I,m not so sure and I won’t be venturing on Tarmac. I’ll give it a whirl see how I get on.

I’m going to buy a 34T ring up front as well so will be able to swap over if needs be.

dunmail
    Free Member

Depending on what bike you ride (26 or 29er) and what hills you ride I’d say use an 11-40 cassette and for 26 in wheels either a 32T or 34T chainring and for 29er either a 30T or 32T chainring. If you are strong then choose the bigger size.

Obviously if you are doing something specific where you know there aren’t going to be any big uphills then fitting a larger chainring is an option.

chickenman

I’ve gone from a triple where 22/32 was the lowest gear (which was so low I couldn’t pedal quickly enough not to loose balance) to 30/36 on 1 by 10. On 26″ wheels.
    I have lost one and a bit gears off the bottom and three off the top: I find this combo low enough for all day rides up mountainous terrain and I don’t miss the higher gears at all.
    You won’t be able to change to a larger chainring without putting on a longer chain (particularly with a dinner plate at the back).
    I think a lot people are buying the range expanders, putting big chainrings on to keep the higher gears when they could manage fine with a conventional cassette setup. The range expanders are not without their problems too.

Ben_H

I went to a 32T up front and 11-32T at the back – and I haven’t died yet. 🙂

mcnultycop

I’m fat so I had 30t to 11-40. I very rarely use the 30/40 but when I do it is a godsend. I can spin out in 30/11 pretty easily on the road, but I try not to ride my FS on the road. I may spin out on a fireroad descent too, but the simplicity of 1x works for me.

I’m 32t to 11-36 on the HT, I may take that out to 34t with 11-40 when the cassette wears, the advantage with the HT is you can stamp on the pedals if you want rather than sitting and spinning, so I tend to power up things a bit more. Then have a little lie down.

Both are 26″ wheels, because I’m outdated.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve been running 36 up front and 36-11 out back on a 26″ bike , can climb most trails and still keep a good cadence at higher speeds, been this way for 5 years.

deadkenny
    Free Member

26″ 34t up front and been coping okay with 11-36, and that’s on both HT with regular tyres and full sus with fatter 2.4/2.5 alpine mode tyres (so more like a 650b in a way). Surrey, Wales & the Alps (okay uplifted in part 😀 ). The Lakes did have me struggling a little though. Not generally wanted a extender ring though, but might try one. I would however find less than 34t would have me spinning out for some stuff. I do already with 34t.

teenrat

I run a 32T on the front and 11 to 36T on the back. As above, i would try an 11 to 36T rear cassette before shelling out for the 40T extender as you will be surprised what you can climb. I live and ride in hilly old Wales and this setup has been fine and i havent found myself wishing for a lower gear.

Andy-R

I’m fat old so I had 30t to 11-40. I very rarely use the 30/40 but when I do it is a godsend. I can spin out in 30/11 pretty easily on the road, but I try not to ride my FS on the road.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

‘Spin out’ is a terminology used by people who like to give the idea that they are da bombz at descending. Either that, or they live in Norfolk.

kimbers

Was running a 30t with a 11-36 cassette on my 650b enduro racing beast
    Needed the 30t as my legs didn’t have the manliness for the 1000+ metres of climbing at ukges or for that first climb at cwmcarn
    Did spin out occqsionaly on flat out stages when racing

Now got 32 front and a 40t expander and I’m very happy, bank balance will be spared 11speed prices for a while yet

mrhoppy

I’ve run 32f/36r but prefer having the bail out offered by running a 42 expander for really big days out. I’m fat and lazy but really struggling to see where a 30t up front and an expander on the rear would be needed, if you’re running a standard cassette I get it but for me 30/11 is too low a gearing.

Andy-R

mrhoppy – Member I’m fat and lazy but really struggling to see where a 30t up front and an expander on the rear would be needed, if you’re running a standard cassette I get it but for me 30/11 is too low a gearing.

Depends whether you’re that bothered about about absolute top speed on the road or fireroads – personally I’m not, and besides, 30:11 isn’t that spinny by my standards.
    I don’t use 30:40 very much on a typical ride, but I do use it.

But then, like I said, I’m old and, presumably, feeble.

discoduck
    Free Member

mrwhoppy, Its not really “Top Speed” I’m after, if i were then i would be going the opposite direction and going 36T on the front, its NOT the 11 side of the casette i’m after its the 36T to 40T i’m after.

Just so i dont have to bail When, having crossed the A57 up to Hag Farm, Up Jacobs Ladder, The Slabs up to the gate from Ladybower, the climb apply named “Shit Bastard Climb” On Strava and just generally when im hanging out and at Max heartrate when i want to pedal fresh air to recover whilst still upright and pointing up hill on the bike,

I doubt i’ll spin out, IF i do i will have a spare 34T ring to slip on the front, i wont be competeing and i’ll not be pedalling on any Roads.

I’m bobbling about on a 36llb Nomad so i need all the help i can Get.

mcnultycop

The 10t on XX1 and XO1 I guess really makes a massive difference. Even with a 32t up front you’ll spin out less than with a 30/11 on a traditional set up.

scaled
    Free Member

peak rider here, 35lb+ Nukeproof Mega so similar setup.

Save your money and just buy a 32t, the 30t was just silly.

Infact, if you’re dead set on a 30t and want to buy a ringmaster 30t and a e-thirteen 42t that’s been used for about 6 miles before I went 32/40 then drop me an email 😀

Dibbs
    Free Member

I went for a quick spin on my old 3 x 9 on the Quantocks last night, I needed 22-32 on the climb up past Triscombe Quarry and I “span out” 44-11 (46.8mph) down Cothlestone Hill on the way home.
    Why would anyone want a smaller range of gears? 😉

Sad Strava link

D0NK

I’ve gone from a triple where 22/32 was the lowest gear (which was so low I couldn’t pedal quickly enough not to loose balance)

your not climbing steep enough big hills 🙂

Shall be going 32×11-36 for local riding just as soon as my current 9spd transmission wears out. I reckon losing the bottom 2 or 3 gears will not bother most people too much for their regular riding, the enforced extra climbing speed will help too. It’s only when they ride bigger/further than usual when they may suffer. Will be keeping a granny on my big hills bike tho.

jam-bo

well riding up past triscombe quarry is just silly.

and you’d probably hit 46.5 down cothelstone tucking and freewheeling 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘1X10 Ratios this time’ is closed to new replies.