Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1×10 question
  • Scoobster
    Free Member

Going to bite the bullet and change my 2×9 set up to 1×10 to reduce some of the clutter and simplify things a bit on my AM bike. I am not a great climbing fan though and do still use my granny ring from time to time on steeper climbs, so was thinking along the lines of 30:36 or would I be better spending a bit more and going for one of the Hope 40T sprockets and sticking with 32 NW front ring? Is there a considerable difference and worth the extra cash?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you have all the right parts so that you only need to buy the 42t extra then I would get it..

I have a 30t 11-36 and sometimes it just isn’t quite enough for me on the ups and I sometimes spin out on the downs.

I find that 11-36 is fine at places like the chase or even the white peaks but when I go to the dark peaks I would really like a 11-42…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What are your current rings?

Scoobster
    Free Member

32/24 and 11:32

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well getting up to 36t on the back will help to start with, if your happy at 32 for the top end then it’s probably a good place to start.

I’ve heard mixed things about the 42 & shifting, but better about the 40t. It should give you a good range, I’ve just gone back to single ring with a Hope 34 & 36 for options, it’s better to use a specific single ring rather than a ramped one so NW makes sense. Only your legs will know if you need the 40t or not, as they mostly seem sold out you could start without and see how you go.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Do you use the front 24 front 32 rear much? If not and you use 24 front and the 28 rear then I think you would be fine with 32 front and 11-36 rear

Scoobster
    Free Member

Sound advice. Thanks. Was actually thinking about tryin the cassette on it’s own first which you have now confirmed as a good idea…plus less expense. Thanks again guys

Scoobster
    Free Member

Frosty not really using the 24 front / 32 rear much but still find I need it occasionally tbh

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1×10 question’ is closed to new replies.