Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 1×10 Narrow Wide Kits?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Seen on Wiggle that for ~£180 I can get a set that comprises of a RF Narrow Wide chainring, 1×10 KMC (IIRC) chain, SLX cassette and mech and a Zee shifter.

Just wondering if theres anywhere else that does something similar for cheaper? My drivetrain needs an overhaul and may as well jump on the NW bandwagon whilst I’m at it!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It would be cheaper to buy each component individually from CRC or Merlin I would get an XT cassette.

BoardinBob

Buy this: http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-slx-m670-triple-groupset-sale-65626.html

Keep the 10 spd bits you need, sell the rest, buy a NW ring and overall it would cost you virtually nothing

dannyh
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that’s slightly more than I paid for all the bits individually about three months ago. I didn’t do any selling to offset it. Nor did I shop around obsessively (just a few minutes).

I think you probably just need to shop around a little bit more…..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll price it up seperate 😀

rockhopper70

I’ve done a bit of research while casualty was on? Cheapest bits I’ve found are.
    Merlin. Zee shifter £23.95.
    CRC. Zee rear mech. £37.99
    CRC. 11-36 cassette. Slx £26.49. XT £36.99
    Merlin. PG 1051 chain £15.95. KMC x10-93 £19.96.

Narrow wide chainring option seems to be works at £35.

davosaurusrex

If you get an XT cassette it will give you the option to retro fit one of the new 42t sprockets should you need the help (I know I will)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If you get an XT cassette it will give you the option to retro fit one of the new 42t sprockets should you need the help (I know I will)

This

That is why I said I would get an XT cassette earlier 😉

Also I wouldn’t go for a zee mech for same reason, I would get an SLX or XT

rockhopper70

Good point..future proofing.
    Wiggle have the slx shifter at £20.99.
    Merlin..rear mech £34.99.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Dave, you’ll be fine around here with a 32 front and 36 rear. I’m running 36 front and rear with no problems.

wukfit
    Free Member

Will a Zee rear mech definately not work with the 42t sprocket?
    i know it states up to 36t but is that just because Shimano dont make bigger?

campfreddie
    Free Member

The zee mech has been shown to work with the 42t sprocket.

davosaurusrex

Kev – you’re a fair bit fitter than me and my back is fubared! I’ve ordered a 42t sprocket and think I’m going to go for a 34t narrow/wide

mkaye93
    Free Member

Fine around hebden on my 32 NW ring and 36 casette. Gets me up and not really pedaling on the hidden cheeky steep downs I usually ride.
    Also wouldn’t recommend using kmc chains on narrow wide rings, their x profile side plates don’t sit well at all.

duir
    Free Member

The zee mech has been shown to work with the 42t sprocket

I recently emailed Oneup components to see if the short cage Zee 10 speed will work on their 42 tooth cog, they said not, medium or long only. SLX medium clutch is by far the best option I reckon for value for money, compatibility.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Is this lot correct? Everything I’d need???

Silver, 11-36t
    Shimano XT M771 10 Speed MTB Cassette
    Silver, 11-36t
    sku187732

Black, 104mm, 32t
    Race Face Narrow Wide Single Chainring
    Black, 104mm, 32t
    sku393149

Silver, 114 Links
    Shimano SLX HG75 10 Speed Chain
    Silver, 114 Links
    sku395478

Black, Long Cage
    Shimano SLX M675 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech
    Black, Long Cage
    sku322091

Black, Right Hand Rear
    Shimano Zee M640 1x10sp Trigger Shifter
    Black, Right Hand Rear
    sku319048

Comes to ~£150 at CRC…

fathomer

mkaye93 – Member
    Also wouldn’t recommend using kmc chains on narrow wide rings, their x profile side plates don’t sit well at all.

Been working fine for me for the last 4 months.

Edit: Looks like everything to me Davey. Though you may need shorter chainring bolts, depends on cranks. You can also bodge them.

Northwind

KMC chain fine on all of mine too. Though I think absoluteblack recommend against it? Some issue with their chainrings perhaps that doesn’t affect the others?

honourablegeorge

KMC chains have a slightly thicker roller, apparently, has caused issues with some Narrow/wides. Newer ones have revised rollers, but might be best to stick with a SRAM chain.

I’d be on a medium cage rather than a long cage too, given the choice. Shimano medium cages are still mahoosive.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Yeah, short or medium cage mech.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

OK, done.
    For anyone interested in going down the same route, I’ve got:
    Zee shifter
    SLX chain, cassette and medium cage clutch mech
    Race Face N/W 32t ring

All that lot, including the additional 10% CRC are offering at the moment came in at just over £130. Selling my MRP from my current 1×9 setup should get me £30/£40 so sub £100 comfortably to gain a gear and drop some more weight 😀

matther01
    Free Member

Welcome to the club! 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Been running 1×9 for years, before it became a fad so made sense to make the leap to 1×10 with no chain device!

rockhopper70

I’m thinking of hitting the buy button too…any reason to go for the slx chain over a SRAM?

jakeg1
    Free Member

i just went narrow wide on my ellsworth, already had 10spd xt 11-36 cassette & sram chain, i paid £42 for slx shadow+ rear mech, £40 for a 34t wolftooth components narrow wide and will be getting a 42t rear sprocket when i find out which is cheaper, hope or oneup! the current 34-36 on the climbs is v good tbh but on the seriously steep stuff it does become a struggle but overall v happy, runs quietly, no chain drops and lightweight

atlaz
    Free Member

I think my whole setup cost me about 80 quid including 30 for a narrow-wide. Careful sale shopping did most of it. The hardest thing to buy was a bloody ispec-b shifter

mindmap3
    Free Member

Welcome to the club. I’ve been running a N/W ring since August last year and it’s not missed a beat even in really manky weather. Can’t fault it so far.

What hubs do you have? Watch the SLX cassette because mine has chewed up the ally freehub body on my Havoc’s pretty badly.

Northwind

FWIW at the current price of a Saint shifter I’d highly recommend that upgrade- best shifter they’ve ever made imo, lovely. £40 from CRC!

v666ern
    Free Member

So thinking of doing this, but can someone tell me if this will work with my current crankset? – truativ gxp2.

Do i just not use the small spider?

Zee shifter
    SLX chain, cassette and medium cage clutch mech
    Race Face N/W 32t ring

bentudder

Just a quick note on Zee rear mechs. The med cage one has a range of 25 teeth, according to Shimano. Than means it’ll work on an 11-36 cassette, because the difference between 11 and 36 is 25. If you’re getting a 42t sprocket for the rear, then subtract 25, and the ‘usable’ range is 17-42. Outside of that, the mech will be a little out of range – basically, it’ll be dealing with a lot of extra chain flapping around.

What I’m trying to say is that it’l probably work, but not as well as a longer cage mech.

11-36 rear, 34 front here on a Zee, absolutely love it, by the way.

A cheaper / quicker way of tuning the ratios might be to consider a smaller front narrow/wide, by the way.

rockhopper70

Bought mine yesterday from crc. Clicked the button at around 2pm and it ruined up this morning.
    Excellent service from CRC.

v666ern
    Free Member

Daveyboywonder post up how you get on with this – just ordered the mech and chain, next pay day will be the rest!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Will do. Hopefully be here tomorrow so will get it all fitted and trialled later in the week…

v666ern
    Free Member

All ordered, as well as some snazzy £6 gloves woot crc!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Good stuff. First ride on it all planned for tomorrow. First impressions are that its all good stuff but the Zee shifter is VERY cheap and placcy vs my previous 10 year old 9-speed XTR jobbie so that may well be getting swapped pretty soon.

davosaurusrex

Got my oneup 42t rear sprocket yesterday, fitted it up but not got quite enough adjustment on the b screw. Since read the bit on the oneup website about removing the washer or threading it in from the other side to get round that so will sort that out later. Been running the narrow/wide with 11-36 for a few weeks now and the best bit for me is the silence. It’s all so quiet, it’s oh so quiet…..

tootallpaul

Right,

I’ve just hit the fire button on his little lot:

1 x Shimano SL-M640 Zee 10 Speed Right Hand Gear Lever @ GBP 24.95
    1 x Shimano SLX M675 10 Speed Shadow+ Rear Medium Cage @ GBP 36.95
    1 x Shimano Deore HG62 10 Speed Cassette 11-36 @ GBP 15.95
    1 x Shimano XT HG95 10 Speed HGX Chain @ GBP 13.75
    1 x Sram 10 Speed Black Power Lock @ GBP 3.50 = GBP 3.50

I will pick up a Narrow Wide as soon as On-One release theirs.

It’s for my Sawyer, which is currently SS and has a jump stop and bash at the moment.

I think my front ring is a 32 or a 34 so I should get a decent low gear…

=====
    TOTAL GBP: 95.10

bigrich

shimano are making a 40t cassette next year.

v666ern
    Free Member

Daveyboywonder, I did all the same as you and it came out lovely…not ridden yet but looks good!
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-to-me-old-school-brodie

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘1×10 Narrow Wide Kits?’ is closed to new replies.