Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • 1×10 in Calderdale area…….
  • dazh

Man up Daz

Indeed. Could be a fun(?) idea to do them all in one ride. Starting in Hebden or Tod…

The Buttress/Heptonstall
    Horsehold Road
    Penny Steps
    Honeyhole lane
    Inchfield Road
    Pexwood/Stones Road
    Doghouse Lane
    Jumps Lane
    Cross Stone Road/Hey Head Lane
    Mytholm Steeps

And all linked by offroad descents.

So who’s in? 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

Might be type 2 fun. Isn’t there an annual ride that does most of the Calderdale Cobbled climbs?

dazh

Yeah the Ronde Van Calderdale. Always thought that was a bit of an odd route though. The Hell of the Worth is a better route IMO, and it includes the buttress which the RvC omits.

whitestone
    Free Member

The Hell of the Worth looks >ahem>worthwhile</ahem>. Might be a bit much at this time of year.

Technically they aren’t cobbles but setts: cobbles are random stones from streams and rivers; setts are dressed stone from quarries and uniform in size/shape.

Mugboo

Every days a school day, thanks Whitestone.

grannyjone
    Free Member

My lowest gear on my 1×10 is too high, it doesn’t seem stop me riding up anything particularly steep that I couldn’t do previously, but I get tired more quickly than before, because previously, there was always a “very easy” gear to go back to take it easy for a moment on a steep hill, while now, its more ‘full on’ effort all the way.

RustySpanner

dazh – Member
    Could be a fun(?) idea to do them all in one ride. Starting in Hebden or Tod…
    The Buttress/Heptonstall
    Horsehold Road
    Penny Steps
    Honeyhole lane
    Inchfield Road
    Pexwood/Stones Road
    Doghouse Lane
    Jumps Lane
    Cross Stone Road/Hey Head Lane
    Mytholm Steeps
    And all linked by offroad descents.
    So who’s in?

You forgot Eastwood Lane.

And no, no I’m not in.
    🙂

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Grannyjone definately agree I got a 32t/42t on an enduro bike and it absolutely annihilated me on regular trails, changed that to a 30t chainring and it’s a far better ride,

Just gone 34/46 on my short travel Fs and it rode like a dream on the Rochdale ride it, the 250m climb up to the rams head inn from under the m62 near the littleborough rugby club went far better than I expected, the previous year I nearly died up it..
    it was just about low enough to grind out the steepest sections.

GregMay
    Free Member

Daz – sounds stupid, I’ll join in.

dazh

Greg I think I may go and do some of that route this weekend if you’re free and your leg has healed enough. Doubt I’d manage them all on a singlespeed but you never know.

The Hell of the Worth looks >ahem>worthwhile</ahem>. Might be a bit much at this time of year.

Went and did the Halifax cobbles yesterday. Trooper lane is somewhat character building 🙂

Chew
    Free Member

Top marks for Trooper Lane on the road bikes.

Can imagine it was very greasy. I only just managed it with something with plenty more gears……..

whitestone
    Free Member

That’s partly what I was thinking especially after the dreich day on Saturday.

I reckon April’s a good time for the cobbles as you have the chance of a decent spell of dry weather and the trees aren’t in leaf so things have a chance of drying out.

Dunno what’s going on, maybe the mild winter, but I’ve been spinning out on tarmac climbs recently and not steep ones either. There just seems to be a lot of muck/grunge on the roads at the moment.

wl
    Free Member

Depends where exactly you ride in Calderdale and how determined you are not to have to push. There are some long and very steep/technical climbs that need very low gears unless you’re superhuman. Also, if you do long rides and still want to climb those climbs 5 hours in, you’ll really need those easy gears. Crap trails conditions for much of the year just makes it harder.

core

I’ve just put a 22t bail out ring back on my 1×10 zesty, I’ve been finding towards the end of rides I’m too knackered to push the 32/42 on proper hills. No front mech though, I’ll just switch over manually if I need it. The ring itself weighs hardly anything, even with bolts, and you can’t really see it.

#stealthgranny

dazh

Can imagine it was very greasy. I only just managed it with something with plenty more gears……..

Trooper Lane was bone dry. Shibden wall a bit damper, and Gibb Lane covered in crap as usual. All do-able on compact roadie gearing as long as you keep your arse on the saddle do a bit of grunting.

googlegannet
    Free Member

looks like some awesome climbing to be had out there. think i will have to seek them out and give them a go on the 3x 9 and see how i get on.

should give me some food for thought

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘1×10 in Calderdale area…….’ is closed to new replies.