Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1×10 gearing question
  • cubist
    Free Member

So I have just gone to a single ring at the front and am currently running a 38t and 11-34. This is fine round Sherwood and my local trails as it’s pretty flat. I am about to head to the Lakes and reckon I might struggle a bit with that gearing. How small can I go on the front without needing to mess around with my chain length?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I hope you do struggle with 38/34 in the lakes….

Normal crankset and you can drop to 32t but you will probably need to shorten your chain. For about the same money a 40/42t rear would be the other option

theotherjonv

How tight is the chain in the big cog currently? Could you get a link out? You can prob go to 34 up front without a major issue, even more so if you can lose a link on the current issue.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cubist
    Free Member

I thought about a 40 on the back and a slightly smaller chain ring but read that the change from 34 to 40 can be problematic and my zee mech might also cause issues.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

other options include fitting a stealth granny ring and manual changes and pushing 😉

nickdavies

38 is a big old front ring so assuming you’ve got a pair of climbers legs – if you want to drop a decent amount for the lakes i’d say buy a second ring 30/32 and a second chain, as long as your cassette would take it. Swap as required.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1×10 gearing question’ is closed to new replies.