Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1×10 conversion questions
  • kraftyone
    Free Member

Thinking about converting my Voodoo Bizango to 1×10 (NW with 40T expander)

I was pretty much sold on it, but I read in a few places last night that you’re expecting the rear mech to work outside of it’s intended use and can end up with gear selection issues (skippy gears, having to go up 2 and back down one to select correct gear etc etc)

What’s people experience of this – is there anything to watch out for/way to avoid the issues?

br
    Free Member

I used a Hope T-Rex on XT, no issues but did need to install the longer B-screw (which came with the T-Rex).

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Set up correctly it’s fine. It can be B screw sensitive, as well as chain length sensitive. I would recommend a RadR cage as this seems to smooth out a lot of the issues. I used an XT cassette, Hope T-Rex, RadR cage, Zee FR mech (although the RadR cage is longer than the Zee one, which is no bad thing), Raceface NW chainring and Saint shifter. Shifting was precise and reliable, with no chain drop on back pedalling. All in all a great setup.

The simplicity of 1X10 is compelling. You ditch weight, too. I found 32 teeth up front and 11-40 out back fine for everything, including the Alps. This was on a 26er Trance X.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    danti

Fitting a one up rad cage improves the shifting IMHO and if it’s hilly where you are then go for a 42t expander.

You’re knees and lungs will love you that bit more!

smatkins1
    Free Member

With a 40t extender ring I’ve found Shimano mechs work fine with the B-screw all the way in.

42t is pushing it a bit more, but this can be rectified with a Rad Cage.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I left my rear end untouched, so have 11-36 with a 32t chainring. It’s fine, no mech or cassette fiddling required.

kraftyone
    Free Member

should have mentioned – currently running 3×9, so will need a new rear end anyway, so would be no extra hassle popping in the extender when I put the new 10 speed cassette on

thegreatape
    Free Member

Roger

smatkins1
    Free Member

So you’ll be buying a new mech then… a clutch one I presume?

kraftyone
    Free Member

Shimano SLX M675 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1×10 conversion questions’ is closed to new replies.