Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1×10 chainset – double/triple and lose the other rings?
  • tor5
    Free Member

This has probably been done to death but searching hasn’t turned much up. I’m planning on going 1×10 on a new build, but unsure what chainset I need.

Will I die if I buy a shimano chainset (SLX/Deore depending on deals), sell/keep for spare the rings and put a specific 1x ring on? Anything else I ought to know?

Cheers!

Mackem

I’m running 1×10 on standard XT crank, with a Raceface unramped ring. Singlespeed type ring is best to prevent chain drops (still need a chain device though). There are now XX1 style chainrings thta help keep your chain on without the need for a chain device, i’m waiting for one to arrive in the post.

Have you got a clutched rear mech?

tor5
    Free Member

There is one in the post 🙂

Where did you get your XX1 style ring from?

weeksy

I’ve ran a single specific ring and also a middle from the SLX crankset, no issues with either.

Mackem
    Keva
    Free Member

I’m running 1×9 on SLX cranks and shifter with a standard 36t chain ring on the middle. On the outside there’s a bashguard to stop the chain going over the top and an Ngear jump stop to prevent it falling inside.

http://n-gear.com/whatis.html

munrobiker
    Free Member

I still run standard rings and it’s always been fine. I’d just ditch the inner and outer then run the 32t it came with until it dies.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how does it not derail tho luke?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Because I have a chain device. There are still teeth on the ring, still holes in the chain. And I saved about £20 by buying a Deore ring over an E13 fancy pants one. I’ve run them since I went 1×10 3 years ago- if I see a good deal on a proper ring I’ll upgrade, but till then I’ll stick with what’s cheaper.

Leku
    Free Member

I have 1 x 10 on the hard-tail. SLX clutch mech and Race Face bashguard and have never dropped the chain.
    Get a triple chainset so single ring sits in middle with bash in outer position. Double chainsets are much harder to convert.

I have one of these;

http://on-one.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS/on_one_stainless_chainring

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve recently converted from 2×10 to 1×10 by simply ditching front mech and replacing outer chainrign with bashguard. I’ve a clutch mech and so far absoltely no problems whatsoever. I don’t plan to replace the front crankset at all, unless I were to go 1×11.

tor5
    Free Member

Excellent stuff, thanks all. Just ordered a triple and will remove inner and outer rings – may/may not fit a bash or single ring specific once I’ve ridden it a bit.

danielgroves
    Free Member

My 1×10 setup has Deore cranks, and an e*13 Guide Ring. Never had any issues despite them by 3* cranks. When I have the money I shall be looking for some XTs though as Deore weighs a tonne.

Oh, and I’m only running a top guide (one of the hope ones with a hope bash) and an XT clutch mech.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1×10 chainset – double/triple and lose the other rings?’ is closed to new replies.