Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 1×10 advice
  • MadCowKev
    Free Member

I’m building a 1×10 from my parts bin to use over the winter months as I don’t want to ruin the drivechain on my new bike. Saving that for racing.

I’m running a XTR M985 crank with 30t ring and SLX rear mech/cassette in 11-32. Question is do I need some sort of chain device/guard to keep the chain on?

cheers

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Yes.

I use a Pauls chain keeper.

creamegg
    Free Member

Even if you had a ckutch mech i would say yes. Just bought one as i got fed up of dropping the chain. Could get a thick thin chainring but im waiting to see how they pan out

Superficial
    Free Member

Thick thin chainring + clutch mech = no IME
    Otherwise, yes.

Oh, and it’s drivetrain.

Northwind

Thick/thin ring, clutch mech and no chainguide here- yet to drop a chain, it’s performing better than my old guidering + MRP chain device setup in fact. (also, when the chain fell off on that, it was a bollocks to get back on! If it ever comes off the thick/thin it’ll go back on in 2 seconds.)

No doubt that’ll get people saying “Ok for mincing”, it worked for me mincing down fort william world cup on my hardtail 😉

MadCowKev
    Free Member

Thanks guys.

The Paul’s device looks good. Seems I have the option of something like this or buying a thick/thin ring and a clutched mech. This was supposed to be a cheap build…..

And Superficial – autocorrect! drivetrain indeed 😉

theotherjonv

Paul’s device looks like the gold standard, I got a cheaper version (Gusset l’il Chap) from Charlie which seems to do the job pretty well, although i did mod it slightly, taking the keeper par apart and shaving it down so it is narrower and a tighter fit to the chain from side to side.

But i’m also a belt and braces and spare braces type of chap, cos i’m now running a Raceface thick-thin, a clutch mech and a chain device.

I reckon a clutch mech is the best upgrade, and then either a thick-thin OR a chain keeper should suffice. Both is probably overkill, but as i had all three – why not?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Another vote for thick/thin chainring and clutch mech. No need for any chain guide at all and it won’t drop. Have this set up on my hard tail and full sus, chucked both down gnarliest possible and not dropped once or any hint of doing so. Friends run similar and same results (including one running it in the Alps).

Trust me, it’s a major revelation and blindly obvious idea once you see it in action. Chain guides are doomed for 1x set ups now, except maybe for some DH racers who want a bit more assurance during a race.

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe.

I run a standard front chainring with a clutch rear mech (Zee) and no chain device. I’ve lost the chain once, oddly enough on a very innocuous bit of trail. That’s fine for me but if you’re racing that may or may not be acceptable.

If I did have a problem with dropping then I’d just refit my SSC 1x chain device which worked well before I got a clutch mech.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘1×10 advice’ is closed to new replies.