Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • 1×10 > 1 x 11 (cyclocross)
  • bspoked
    Free Member

Quick one…

Is the chain length still big, big no mech, plus 2 links?

1×11 medium clutch

Cheers

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Anyone (njee?) know if SRAM Force 22 levers will work with a SRAM XX1 rear mech/cassette?

njee20
    Free Member

Is the chain length still big, big no mech, plus 2 links?

That’ll do it, but actually the instructions with the XX1 chains recommend 3 links IIRC – leaves enough slack you can change ring size if you’re so inclined.

Anyone (njee?) know if SRAM Force 22 levers will work with a SRAM XX1 rear mech/cassette?

Not sure! Would be nice for more 1×11 gravel/’cross options!

Edit: from here – they’re not:

But, unlike past 10-speed groups, these new 11-speed parts are not compatible with the recently introduced XX1 11-speed mountain bike parts.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if not – SRAM road/mtb compatibility has been consistent thus far and Shimano made a point of stating when their parts (10 speed mtb/road) weren’t compatible.

bspoked
    Free Member

Cheers njee

trickydisco
    Free Member

Just read this little tip if you want to run 10 speed hubs

Don’t want to upgrade all your wheels for 11 speed? Run the 11-28 cassette on your ten speed free hub, leave the 11 tooth off though. Just install a 12 tooth lock ring against the 12 tooth. Use limit screws and it works perfectly, just aredundant clock in the Shifter. Hydro disc mechanical shift ten speed 105

trickydisco
    Free Member

So now i’m even more confused. I’ve just bought a novatec 712 disc hub that is 11 speed compatible (from the cycle clinc and he assures me it’s 11 speed road)

I’ve just seen some nice tubular alu wheels on ebay. The hub is a novatec disc hub 712 and the guy has got back to me with

Rear hub doesn’t fit with 11speed road. Only with new mtb 11 as xtr..

Are there different versions of this 712 hub?

going from njee said i’m even more confused

Yes, 11 speed freehubs are for 11 speed road cassettes. 11 speed MTB cassettes either require an XD body (SRAM) or fit on a 10 speed body (forthcoming XTR).

njee20
    Free Member

No idea about the model specifics of Novatecs, but it seems entirely reasonable that if it’s more than a year or two old it would have a 10 speed freehub body (which will fit 11 speed XTR as well – as he says). Stands to reason they wouldn’t bother to rename their hub just because they made the freehub body 2mm longer.

Similarly DT240s are all now 11 speed compatible, but that doesn’t mean you can go and buy an older 240 and it’ll work.

Either that, or the Cycle Clinic guy was wrong.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I think what he’s saying is they are 10 speed mtb then. What i want to know is can i change the freehub to 11 speed you think?

which i’ve seen on ebay

(sorry sent before i saw your reply njee)

binno
    Free Member

If it’s helpful, I’ve just built an 11spd 105 Groupset using a Mavic rear wheel. All i did was remove the spacers (previously running 10spd Shimano). Everything is fine.

Be interesting to know if the 11spd Shimano road shifters work with 10spd Shimano clutch mechs.

njee20
    Free Member

I think what he’s saying is they are 10 speed mtb then. What i want to know is can i change the freehub to 11 speed you think?

which i’ve seen on ebay

So from that it sounds like you need a B2, the photo is a Campag one though.

If it’s helpful, I’ve just built an 11spd 105 Groupset using a Mavic rear wheel. All i did was remove the spacers (previously running 10spd Shimano). Everything is fine.

Yes, Mavic freehubs (miraculously) were already the right length, just remove the spacer which has been superfluous for years!

trickydisco
    Free Member

awesome.. cheers for the reponses. The cycleclinc guy has also got in contact and said the novatecs can be converted to 11 speed

right.. now to buy some BOR alu tub wheels

trickydisco
    Free Member

Anyone running an 11 speed ultegra mech with a single chainring?

Wondering if the new 11 speed has got this 2 setting spring mechanism or if they’ve increased the tension with the new mechs?

Anyone know if there would be much difference between spring tensions between 105 and ultegra?

pryally
    Free Member

I’m running it on a pickenflick with a raceface thick/thin front chainring. No idea about the spring though, mines not for racing but had some severe bouncing on some rough tracks, etc and not lost the chain yet.

flange
    Free Member

Running Ultegra 11 speed with a raceface thick/thin and yet to drop a chain. That’s with a standard rear mech (not clutch).

trickydisco
    Free Member

short or long cage?

pryally
    Free Member

mines a long cage 6800, may swap to a short cage 105 as the black colour matches my chainset better…

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘1×10 > 1 x 11 (cyclocross)’ is closed to new replies.