Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 1×10 > 1 x 11 (cyclocross)
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at options for a new disc frame i’m getting next week. I need a load of new things including disc brakes, levers etc

Looking at the hydrualic stuff i notice the new shimano 785 lever and caliper

i’m thinking if i need new levers anyway so I should look at 11 speed.

I was going to use some hope pro 3 hubs. Can I use an 11 speed cassette on the hub? (wither mtb or road version)

trickydisco
    Free Member

Was wondering if any of the 11 speed mtb stuff works with 11 speed road

e.g the 11 speed cassette work with these 11 speed levers?

I know the 9 speed mtb mech used to work with 10 speed road shifter

njee20
    Free Member

Hope do an 11 speed freehub yes.

No cross compatibility yet on Shimano/SRAM 11 speed – you won’t get an 11 speed Shimano mech to clear the 42t sprocket on a SRAM 11 speed cassette, and you won’t get an XX1 mech to play nicely with Shimano STIs. CX1 may be a more viable alternative in that respect – don’t know if the CX1 Double Tap lever will work with an XX1 rear mech, stands to reason that it might. Doesn’t give you hydraulic discs yet though.

AlexSimon

I thought that Shimano 11sp just fitted on a standard hub.

D0NK

I was going to use some hope pro 3 hubs

have they started doing pro3 disc hubs?

anyone know when 11-36 xt/ultegra or below 11spd cassettes might be available? (currently running a 1×10 11-36 on my CX, I’m happy with the range but wouldn’t mind closer steps along with a swap to hydro STIs)

njee20
    Free Member

I thought that Shimano 11sp just fitted on a standard hub.

The 11 speed XTR does, not the 11 speed road groupsets, they need a longer freehub body.

AlexSimon

I’ve only just found out that the road and mountain shimano 11sp groups are not compatible too – or at least the cable pull is different on the mechs and shifters.
    Rubbish.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You can’t just put a hope 11sp freehub body on an existing pro3/pro2 hub body.You need a new hub 😐

njee20
    Free Member

Really? Why?

trickydisco
    Free Member

So I could get this freehub and all would be dandy?

I’d then use a road 11 speed mech with an 11 speed cassette?

I know they don’t do a clutch mech but I know someone who ran a 9 speed xt rear mech and had no drops with 1 x10 (narrow wide on the front)

trickydisco
    Free Member

ave they started doing pro3 disc hubs?

I bought mine years ago. It’s a mtb hub

njee20
    Free Member

So I could get this freehub and all would be dandy?

Doesn’t sound like it, on Hope hubs:

You can’t just put a hope 11sp freehub body on an existing pro3/pro2 hub body.You need a new hub

Not sure why though, all other hubs I’m aware of are plug and play so to speak.

I’d then use a road 11 speed mech with an 11 speed cassette?

I know they don’t do a clutch mech but I know someone who ran a 9 speed xt rear mech and had no drops with 1 x10 (narrow wide on the front)

Yes, once you have an 11 speed freehub body you can use an 11 speed road mech and cassette, with 11 speed STIs. You can go single ring if you want, but you can’t yet get a LH non-STI hydraulic drop bar lever to match the R785 in your OP.

9 speed MTB and 10 speed road are cross compatible, so yes, that combination would’ve been fine.

Edit:

There are two types of Pro 3 – those in the built MTB wheelset, and the non disc hubs (previously called Mono). The 11 speed ones are the latter, although I was under impression that you could retrofit an 11 speed freehub body to any of their older hubs.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Out of interest what are you running as a chainset ?
    After a few Summer crosses and 3 nights of training for the impending winter series, I’m finding my 34/50 with 12-30 totally wrong.
    34 with 12 in the sprint starts and I’m out of gears.Starting in 50 27 is OK but once on course the 50 becomes redundant.
    Noticed quite a few running singles with a clutch rear mech.
    Ideas ??

trickydisco
    Free Member

You can’t just put a hope 11sp freehub body on an existing pro3/pro2 hub body.You need a new hub

Seems to suggest that from the description?

Freehub body for Pro 2 Evo and Pro 3 hubs to allow use of 11 speed shimano cassettes.

trickydisco
    Free Member

ut of interest what are you running as a chainset ?
    After a few Summer crosses and 3 nights of training for

been running 36/46 for 2 seasons. Now going t 1×10/1×11 with a 38 and a 11-28 at the back

I was running a 36/25 as lowest gear before so 28 will be fine

Dales_rider
    Free Member

trickydisco
    Free Member

You can go single ring if you want, but you can’t yet get a LH non-STI hydraulic drop bar lever to match the R785 in your OP.

SO i’ll have the internals for shifting but won’t use them.

sorry just wanted to get that bit clear.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You definitely can’t fit an 11sp freehub on a pro3/mono/road hub.I know this cos I asked them yesterday and ordered an 11sp hub for the winter bike (anybody wanna buy a pro3/open sport rear wheel…cheap?).I assume you can’t on a pro2 evo because there is’nt a pro2 evo 11sp freehub body (yet).

D0NK

Ah right, thought they only came as a wheelset (I have a front one, would quite like a rear) presumed you were talking about current stuff.

Freehub body for Pro 2 Evo and Pro 3 hubs to allow use of 11 speed shimano cassettes.

but in this instance are they talking about the pro3 mono? pro2 evo is contemporary, the only current pro3 is none disc. But as said above I’d have thought most hope freehubs were fairly interchangeable.

njee20
    Free Member

SO i’ll have the internals for shifting but won’t use them.

Yep, exactly. And you’ll be paying for those internals.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’m finding my 34/50 with 12-30 totally wrong.

yes.. 34/50 is all wrong for cross IMO

if u want double i’d be tempted with a 36/42

Depends how you find gearing. I always ran a 36/25 as my lowest gear but some prefer a 28 which i find quite spinny

Dales_rider
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member
    Now going t 1×10/1×11 with a 38 and a 11-28 at the back

I was running a 36/25 as lowest gear before so 28 will be fine

Thanks Whose chainset ?

Rorschach
    Free Member

ohh dales rider,that’s handy.How do I copy that?

njee20
    Free Member

Ah right, thought they only came as a wheelset (I have a front one, would quite like a rear) presumed you were talking about current stuff.

Yes, all current, there are two separate Pro3s – it’s the moniker they use for their non-disc road hubs, and for the MTB disc hubs in their built wheelsets.

Bit more digging – the 40t latest Pro2s are compatible with the 11 speed freehub body, but not the earlier ones.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Clarity!!I forgotted about the new 40t jobbies 😳

trickydisco
    Free Member

Thanks Whose chainset ?

Currently have an fsa gossamer i’ve been running for ages (110bcd). Going to get the sram cx 1 without the chainring

njee20
    Free Member

Which chainring are you going to use then? 😕

trickydisco
    Free Member

Was hoping for a raceface but they’re out of stock

So probably absolute black

unless superstar do one in 110bcd

bikebouy
    Free Member

trickydisco – Member
    I’m finding my 34/50 with 12-30 totally wrong.

yes.. 34/50 is all wrong for cross IMO
    if u want double i’d be tempted with a 36/42

Depends how you find gearing. I always ran a 36/25 as my lowest gear but some prefer a 28 which i find quite spinny

Ooh well I’m in training for the new season too, being a newbie to it I’m currently using 34/46 & 11/28, had to bring the original 36 down to a 34 😳

Feel quite out of place now 😕

trickydisco
    Free Member

Ah sorry. Wasn’t my intention at all. I’ve been doing it for 2 seasons now. I meant the standard 34/50 is specced for commute style CX bikes. The 50 is too big

trickydisco
    Free Member

This may be a stupid question but if i buy an 11 speed (135mm) hub will an 11 speed road cassette fit?

Are they the same size?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes, 11 speed freehubs are for 11 speed road cassettes. 11 speed MTB cassettes either require an XD body (SRAM) or fit on a 10 speed body (forthcoming XTR).

trickydisco
    Free Member

So most or all 11 speed disc hubs on ebay are going to be for road as the mtb is too new?

Just noticed that none specify mtb or road

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well thanks Chaps for your insite.. I’ve been hacking the Downs all weekend on my CX’er and I may even change the rear 11/28 to a 11/30.

I’m such a wuss 😆

njee20
    Free Member

So most or all 11 speed disc hubs on ebay are going to be for road as the mtb is too new?

If they have a conventional looking M10 freehub body then yes. They could be Campag:

Or they could be XD:

If neither or those then yes, they’re 11 speed road.

11 speed MTB doesn’t really exist – they’re either XD bodies, or they fit on a standard 10 speed body.

trickydisco
    Free Member

11 speed MTB doesn’t really exist – they’re either XD bodies, or they fit on a standard 10 speed body.

#

excellent thanks! just what i needed to know. I was getting bogged down with mtb hubs and confused about buying the wrong thing.

Any recommendations for hubs? I know you always rave about the a2z stuff. I’ve had a set of novatec hubs on my old tub wheels and they’ve been fine (apart from marks on the freehub body)

DO these road mechs have a strong setting on the spring? I know a guy i raced with ran a mtb 9 speed mech with a 1×10 set up and the chain stayed on the whole time.

Wondering if this is the case with these 11 speed road mechs?

njee20
    Free Member

No 11 speed freehubs for A2Z AFAIK.

I’d probably get the Circus Monkey ones which are all over eBay, they’re not hugely light and I don’t like the fancy flange shaping, but they’re dirt cheap and still a chunk lighter than Hope/DT350s etc which cost considerably more.

No clutches in road mechs, but no different to a 9 speed mech, there’s no ‘settings’ on the spring, they are what they are. Probably be ok with a narrow/wide ring though.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Absolute black talks about a stronger spring setting

mportant information for SHIMANO derailleur users.
    In order to get best results we recommend increasing cage return spring tension. New derailleurs are assembled with the spring in the mount that allows the most relaxed position of the spring. However there is another position on the cage which will increase that tension. It is a standard procedure, please navigate to point no.7 in the link. You may also ask your LBS to do it for you.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-overhaul

njee20
    Free Member

I suspect most LBSs will tell you to piss off if you ask them to do that! Personally not convinced it’ll make much difference anyway, but yes, you could. It’s not hard to try, just needs three hands!

bspoked
    Free Member

I’m just sat waiting by the door for a delivery. Tonight I will be building up:

135mm Pro 2 Disc with 11 speed road freehub (direct from hope via lbs)

Sram PG1170 11-32
    Sram Force CX1 rear mech
    Sram Force levers (CX1 right hand only with shifter)
    Avid BB7

Was tempted to go hydraulic but ran out of tokens (and already had the bb7)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘1×10 > 1 x 11 (cyclocross)’ is closed to new replies.