Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1X10
  • guitarhero
    Free Member

Just gone 1X10 on the 4x
    setup is:
    Renthall 34t chainring
    XT shifter
    XT 11-36 cassette
    SLX rear mech

Really happy with it, apart from the ludicrously long cage on the slx mech.
    Only had a spad about town so far, will get a chance to test it in the hills at the weekend

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing this. I’m thinking about it also; I guess then you don’t need a dedicated 10sp chainring then?

guitarhero
    Free Member

Standard chainring works a treat, and the Renthall is particularly nice.
    Hummed and hawed about going to 35 or 36T at the front, but on my old 1X9, 34 front, 11-34 setup, I fancied an easier gear more often than a bigger one.

AlexSimon

Is the chain a new 10sp one?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I don’t blame you. I run a 1×9 with 32t front and 11-32 out back. I don’t ever find myself under geared unless I’m on fire roads at which point I stop worrying about how fast I’m going!

I think you’ve got a great bike there BTW. I had a decent go on one a few years back over on one of the DH tracks in south wales; Abercan if you know it. It’s the one that’s literally on the hill over from Cwmcarn. Have to say it was brilliant for this.

guitarhero
    Free Member

yes, 10 speed chain, Shimano HG 94

njee20
    Free Member

I’m thinking of doing that for racing next season, I think the wider ratios on 10 speed cassettes have really made it feasible for many more applications.

rOcKeTdOg

Chainring runs ok with 10 speed chain? I wonder if my middleburn would?

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah it’ll be fine, plenty of people have been running 10 speed chains on 9 speed for years.

clubber
    Free Member

inside spacing of the chain is the same – the plates are just thinner so 10 speed chains run fine on 9 speed rings (and cassettes)

guitarhero
    Free Member

Geetee, yes they are great bikes. Handles anything I can throw at it anyway.
    Any more than 4 inches is a waste anyway 😉

heihei

Anyone know when the XTR 10sp stuff will be available?

rOcKeTdOg

Yeah it’ll be fine, plenty of people have been running 10 speed chains on 9 speed for years.

inside spacing of the chain is the same – the plates are just thinner so 10 speed chains run fine on 9 speed rings (and cassettes)

oh nice! well that’s sorta made up my mind for the new build 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

just done the same myself on my spicy, went for a 33t e13 ring up front and xt rear mech though. the new shifters feel so light!

scruff
    Free Member

So, if I wanted to go 2×10 I could theoretically keep my 9sp cranks, chainrings and front mech ?

rOcKeTdOg

and which 10sp chain, i only see “dura ace/Ultegra” etc in 10sp

guitarhero
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

cheers 🙂

AlexSimon

I know non-dynasis 10sp chains are fine. But there seems to have been a fair bit of comment recently on the pitch being different on the 2011 Dynasis stuff.
    I guess if there is, it’s not enough to upset this particular combination.

It would be nice if someone got a Dynasis chain side-by-side with a new 9sp chain to see if the pitch is any different.

njee20
    Free Member

Pitch is the same, but the Dyna-Sis chains are directional, they have heavily chamfered plates to make them work well. I reckon you’ll be fine with a SRAM/KMC 10 speed chain though.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Chain pitch can’t be any different else it wouldn’t work with 9speed stuff at all, its purely down to thinner plates.

Rickos
    Free Member

Hmmm, do this or go Alfine? Looking at going the 10 speed route would be £175 for a XT/SLX setup plus a new chainring.

Rickos
    Free Member

Hmmm, Alfine would be in excess of £300 due to needing a whole new wheel. Maybe 1×10 is the way forward.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1X10’ is closed to new replies.