Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1X1 with 29er wheels and canti / v brakes….
  • flashes
    Free Member

1X1 with 29er wheels and canti / v brakes. Can you show me pics. I realise I need to track down adaptor or fit Paul Motolite brakes.
    What’s the widest tyre I could fit???
    Cheers

jonathan
    Free Member

Tricky – found a couple of examples on the Flickr 1×1 group. All with skinnish tyres, but might give you an idea.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/akz8m6]Surly 1×1 Belt Drive Single Speed[/url] by njbasecamp, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/dqTLv5]Benoit's 700c Surly 1×1 Conversion[/url] by Revolution Cycles Madison, WI, on Flickr

Disks would be easier 😉

flashes
    Free Member

I know but i have a lovely set of non disc Chris King hubs free after I sold my 26er frame…………

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

And some more…

http://forums.mtbr.com/singlespeed/surly-1×1-29er-clearance-846356.html

…as per my post on the earlier thread, having played with this myself I suspect front clearance will be the issue with the standard fork. There is plenty of room out back.

flashes
    Free Member

That looks somehow quite right. So I’ll have a play…….

jonathan
    Free Member

Yeah – does look fun. Do report back 🙂

flashes
    Free Member

I’ve just had a brainwave (or a really dumn idea). I could fit the spare Pace RC31 forks to the 1X1 frame (they have moveable V brake mounts), fit the 29er wheels. Use it fixed so I don’t need the rear brake and jobs a good one. What could go wrong…………….:)

epicyclo

flashes – Member
    1X1 with 29er wheels and canti / v brakes. Can you show me pics. I realise I need to track down adaptor or fit Paul Motolite brakes….

May I suggest you try the 2.8″ Dirt Wizard tyres instead. Since fitting those to my 1×1 I prefer riding it to my 29ers. The extra volume makes a huge difference.

flashes
    Free Member

A thought but the plan is to sell all 26er stuff so I have some interchangability….(although I do have 2 pairs of 26er wheels I’d be sorry to see go)

For example I found 2 bikes had punctures on Tuesday morning. Lots of faffing enshewed……

jimthelad
    Free Member

Don’t think you would be able to find a frameset for sale in the UK, but the All City JYD is a thing of beauty

*Edit – Didn’t twig you meant a Surly 1×1, thought you meant singlespeeds in general. D’oh.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’ve just had a brainwave (or a really dumn idea). I could fit the spare Pace RC31 forks to the 1X1 frame (they have moveable V brake mounts), fit the 29er wheels. Use it fixed so I don’t need the rear brake and jobs a good one. What could go wrong…………….:)

That should work just dandy – I’d say give it a go! Don’t forget to post pics!

noltae
    Free Member

I’ve got a steel Marin Hamilton 29er 17 – which takes v and canti .. Rides nice .. Thinking of selling if anyone’s interested ..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1X1 with 29er wheels and canti / v brakes….’ is closed to new replies.