• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 1x or 2x, what to go for?
  • soulbrother99
    Free Member

Hi all,
    I have been looking at the new xt m8000 groupset on crc which looks very nice, although im not really sure how well I would get on with 1 x 11, after riding my mate’s BFe I with a 1×10 setup, i have started to really like simpler gearing set-ups, however this was all riding singletrack type trails where the bike really excelled. However my I still like to be able to pick up the pace on more flat out xc type stuff, and i am not really sure how suitable the new 1×11 set-up will be for that and weather I should just go 2×10.

I appreciate I have been waffling a bit So thanks in advance for any replies 🙂

kimbers

1x

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been running 1×10 with 40t and 42t expanders and it’s good, but not complete. Would appreciate the extra range the 10t gives from the SRAM side. Buying new if it was Shimano I’d just get 1×10 and expand it, if I was going 11 it would be SRAM for more range.

cp

Are you saying you’re worried about running out of gears at the fast end?

I wouldn’t worry too much- plenty of world cup xc racers use 1x and they manage OK.

I race MTB orienteering events which sometimes contains decent chunks of road… Certainly very fast paced xc riding.. And sometimes win. On 1×10.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

The SRAM cassette really does offer meaningful extra range. You can still use Shimano shifters if you want, but the cassette is slightly more expensive and you’ll need an XD body. Worth it though I say.

soulbrother99
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the replies so far, I take it the general consensus is go for 1×10 expander cog setup rather than 1×11.

Just out of interest does anyone know if it would be possible to add a 10t cog the the m8000 cassete?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you want a 10t you need the XD driver, it’s too small for the standard freehub

soulbrother99
    Free Member

Oh and I’ve just noticed the sram GX groupset which also looks very good, does anyone have any experience with this as i’m a bit of a shimano loyalist.

cp

possible to add a 10t cog the the m8000 cassete?

nope, you’d need an xd driver hub and sram xd cassette

chestrockwell

In my opinion the + and – of each system are negligible so the only decision to be made is if you think you’d be happy with less range. If yes go 1x, if not 2x.

Get what suits your riding, not what is fashionable. 😉

cookeaa

SRAM Cassettes will apparently talk to shimano 11 speed.

Given that I would be tempted to try the GX 10-42 cassette with M8000 mech/shifter… But then it’s not my money.

seadog101

1x. Why bother with a front mech and all that faff if you’re not going 3x and having lots of range?

My reasoning for going 1x was to get rid of component complications (shifter, cable, mech and rings) balanced against having to work a bit harder up the longer hills.

nach
    Free Member

cookeaa – Member
    SRAM Cassettes will apparently talk to shimano 11 speed.

I love how that thread turns into “I set it up, it doesn’t work properly, and Shimano didn’t seem to want to talk to me about it”.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘1x or 2x, what to go for?’ is closed to new replies.