Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1x gearing for kids 26" bike
  • MoreCashThanDash

The rate I’m going I should have just bought my daughter a frame…. 🙄

Anyway, once the bigger bits are done, I can see her wanting to go 1x. As will her older brother, no doubt.

Just wondered what chainring and cassette range people had used for kids. She’s 10, a lazy social rider rather than a racer, tends to ride blue trails.

It will go on a 14″ hardtail with short cranks. Was thinking a 30t up front, but wondering what bargain cassette ideas people had tried.

Cheers

br
    Free Member

28t upfront, gives you more options to go lower at the rear.

nre
    Free Member

My daughter is on a 30t up front with 11-36 (10 speed) on the rear. Not super low, but fine for most of her riding.

BillOddie

Assuming you have standard 104bcd cranks, 30T is the smallest you can go.

Combine that with a Sunrace 10speed wide range block and you’ll be reet.

dirtydog
    Free Member

What Bill said but with the addition of an 11 speed rear mech to cope with the extended range, else fit goat link/radcage.

docrobster
    Free Member

Dirtydog dies this mean any shimano 11s mech will work with 10s 11-42? I’ve a goat link on one bike but normal 10s gs mech on the other. When it gets trashed should I replace it with an 11s?

takisawa2

30 x 11-36 on the youngest ones. He’s 9. He finds it ok.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QmZx5F]Rowan's Hotrock[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

32 x 11-36 on the eldest lads. He bloody flies on it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RnfaPA]Rowan's Hotrock[/url] by pten2106, on Flickr

Stainypants

If you can wait a few months the new 10 speed deore with 42 cassette on the home page looks ideal. That’s what I’ll be putting on my son’s next bike.

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers everyone

Takisawa – how are they on hills?

Yak

30t with 11-34 9sp. Fine most of the time, but at steeper trail centres he’s smashing it out of the saddle when I’m spinning. So if you can, go 10sp and a big cassette.

FieldMarshall

Went with Sram NX 11-42t and 30T on my 10 year olds bike.

Great value. Works well

dai21t
    Free Member

I’ve put 30t chainring combined with 42t sunrace cassette and xtr mech on my 10yr old bike. Seems to go ok on it. Also got standard length shimano cranks.

takisawa2

They are fine. They are both out the saddle mushers, rather than sit & spinners.

BillOddie

What Bill said but with the addition of an 11 speed rear mech to cope with the extended range, else fit goat link/radcage.

Not had any issues with the 42T Sunrace cassette and a “normal” long cage XT rear mech. Didn’t need goat links, radr cages or owt.. Just had to wind the B tension screw in a bit.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

30T NW on 152mm cranks and a 12-36 cassette. She gets up all of the steep bits at Swinley so perfect for what she uses it for.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/project-bike-for-10-year-old-daughter-complete

LS
    Free Member

30t and 10spd 11-36 here.

SammyC
    Free Member

I just left the little ring on, I can then just knock it manually onto the 22t front if the ride/legs demand it.

They don’t then have to concern themselves with a front changer (which is usually too hard for them to activate IME) but you have the gears there if they need them.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1x gearing for kids 26" bike’ is closed to new replies.