Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 1x cranks are heavy aren't they?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Are they? Just had a quick check on CRC and they seem no lighter and in some cases heavier than my old 3×9 970 XTR. Seems to be a large variation, with expensive Truvativ cranks at 760g, much more than similarly priced Sram.

What’s light for 1x cranks? What’s a good light XC option?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If the crank still has mounts for 2x it will be as heavy. Try spider less 1x only cranks. Light xc? Something carbon?

tomhoward

RF Next SL?
    XX1?
    Current XTR?
    Praxis Lyft?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Are they?

A Race Face Turbine alloy crank with a 32t ring and BB is 675g. A quick Google says that your XTR cranks are 747g with a BB.

An X01 crank with 32t ring is 495g which I assume is excluding the BB.

everyone
    Free Member

Tune?
    THM?
    Specialized S-works/lighting?

whitestone
    Free Member

Depends what you want to pay! Raceface Aeffect direct mount cranks (no chainring) are 570g and about £110, Raceface Next SL G4 are 350g but £400!

jam-bo

those XTR 970 are superlight though. just the arms, XT M8000 that I replaced them with are ~50g heavier than the XTR’s

I ran the XTR’s a single ring for a long time.

Stevet1
    Free Member

My SRAM XX1 direct mount cranks (arms / axle) are 491g.
    SRAM X1 (direct mount) – 571g.

rone

ROTOR Rex 1 lighter than xx1.

molgrips
    Free Member

I ran the XTR’s a single ring for a long time.

Might be worth me doing the same thing then I suppose. Was thinking chainline might be crap, but then you can get long bolts to adjust it can’t you?

molgrips
    Free Member

ROTOR Rex 1 lighter than xx1.

Maybe, but their website says this:

“Your mtb is more than just a tool for training; it’s an accessory to your lifestyle. “

So they can FRO. Seriously…

Are they?

A Race Face Turbine alloy crank with a 32t ring and BB is 675g. A quick Google says that your XTR cranks are 747g with a BB.

I’d expect to be able to shed more than 72g by losing two rings, associated bolts and aluminium mountings, that was really what I’m saying.

wwaswas

I run a 970 crank both as 1x (with chain guide) and a singlespeed. Use the middle ring position and shorter chainring bolts. Not noticed chainline issues with either.

Problem is that comparing anythign with XTR for weight is likely to end up with a ‘well it’s heavier’ response, particularly as 1x has to be ‘Enduro Proof’ so tends to be overbuilt a little.

molgrips
    Free Member

particularly as 1x has to be ‘Enduro Proof’

Surely there’s a big XC user base for 1x too?

wwaswas – what chain guide do you use? Just realised I could try 1×9 again if I had a chain guide…

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d expect to be able to shed more than 72g by losing two rings, associated bolts and aluminium mountings, that was really what I’m saying.

But you had a top-of-the-shop XTR chainset and RF Turbines are mid-range, less than half the price of XTR.

wwaswas

molgrips – I think you have to compare like with like, look at rrp’s on XTR and what you’re comparing it to, pick an XC biased groupset and then compare weights. Although XTR will always be one of the lightest at any price point, tbh.

I’ve used Blackspire, Superstar and MRP at various times – mostly 1×9 with either just a standard SS chainring or a thick thin 10 speed. Biggest problem I had was you can’t get clutch mechs for 9 speed so there’s a lot more chain flap – particularly in the smaller cogs at the back where you’d normally only be in when using the large chainring at the front to take up some slap. It’s not a major issue but more than running with an 11 speed XTR clutch mech like I do on another bike.

teamslug
    Free Member

Those Praxis Ones That Were On The Front Page A While Ago Are Light. £1.09 Per Gram!! 😉

matt_outandabout

Middle_OAB has some bling carbon XX1 cranks – they’re silly (sub 500g?) light…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Carbon cranks are indeed silly

mindmap3
    Free Member

Don’t forget the mech, shifter and cable.

The Turbine isn’t a particularly special or posh crank though and is still a tad lighter.

Mate of mine ran your cranks single without any realy issue.

molgrips
    Free Member

molgrips – I think you have to compare like with like

Of course. It just surprised me there wasn’t more difference, that’s all.

Not sure if I’ll bother or not. But maybe. Will save up for 1×11 kit eventually.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Potentially need more strength in the arms – I broke a lightweight 3x crank using it singlespeed. Got it warrantied but suspect that a multi ring crank gains stregth from the rings.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’ve got a Hope spiderless and it’s 641g including ring

matt_outandabout

Carbon cranks are indeed silly

Perhaps, but he only weighs 10st.

That said, he is going rather ‘nduro big on them now…

chakaping
    Free Member

What weight did you expect them to be?

Difference is better than I’d have expected TBH.

rone

Maybe, but their website says this:

“Your mtb is more than just a tool for training; it’s an accessory to your lifestyle.

Spanish marketing gone American.

Idiots.

Still better than any other crank I’ve ever owned even if they have silly spiders.

Don’t rate their q-rings though.

jonnyboi

Chainrings weigh, what? 50g?

It’s hardly surprising you don’t see much difference is it?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘1x cranks are heavy aren't they?’ is closed to new replies.