Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 1X 10 discussions/options… yes i know we've done these… a bit
  • weeksy

Or is a bit actually a LOT ?

I’m sitting looking at the options and choices here on things like the Zee clutch mech. I’m slightly concerned that I see many of them on-line with “used once, immaculate”… is that just coincidence ?

On the Spearfish I’ve got a PFBB30 bottom bracket so don’t want to run a bottom bracket chainguide, the ST mounted chainguides are either bloody rubbish (Superstar) or damn expensive at £80 for an E-13 version.

I removed the shifter months ago and have been running a faux-1×10 using a longer screw on the front mech to get in place nicely and whilst it works well enough.. it’s about time I got my act together and sorted it all out correctly, get the other rings off and get it all done.

So, the question I guess is, do I need a thick-thin / narrow-wide chain ring along with a Zee mech ? If so, are there any alternatives at a lower budget than the Raceface at £41 ?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/race-face-narrow-wide-single-chainring/rp-prod109723

Any other recommended plans ?

thanks in advance.

clubber
    Free Member

You don’t need a thick thin chainring if you’ve got a zee mech but it may well be a good idea depending on what you ride. I have lost my chain twice (oddly on fairly smooth trails, not on the bumpy ones) in 5 rides with my zee mech and no chain guide. Not a major problem but if it wasn’t for having a fairly new chainring, I’d definitely get a thick/thin for that extra bit of reliability.

Works components do one slightly cheaper than RF IIRC.
    http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=330

reggiegasket
    Free Member

just get a narrow/wide ring and any medium cage shadow+ mech. Even a non-shadow+ works actually. Witchcraft I tell you.

IA

On my horsethief (not a million miles from your spearfish, tho has a “proper” BB) I run a zee mech and a straitline silent guide.

Chain doesn’t come off, even when things get pretty rowdy.

Mind just one or the other would probably be fine too.

honourablegeorge

clubber – Member
    You don’t need a thick thin chainring if you’ve got a zee mech but it may well be a good idea depending on what you ride. I have lost my chain twice (oddly on fairly smooth trails, not on the bumpy ones) in 5 rides with my zee mech and no chain guide. Not a major problem but if it wasn’t for having a fairly new chainring, I’d definitely get a thick/thin for that extra bit of reliability.

“You don’t need a thick thin chainring if you’ve got a zee mech” – unless you don’t want your chain to fall off

clubber
    Free Member

Kind of but given that it’s happened pretty infrequently, I’m happy to say that I don’t *need* a thick thin chainring. Falling off occassionally isn’t a major problem for me. I’d feel differently if I was racing.

honourablegeorge

Losing your chain on 40% of your rides isn’t infrequent.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got an E.13 XCX ST if that’s of any interest? 34.9, but can be shimmed if the Spearfish is smaller. Want a lot less than £80 for it!

clubber
    Free Member

Losing your chain on 40% of your rides isn’t infrequent.

Depends. It’s infrequent enough for me. It might not be for you.

weeksy

How much njee? You at forest on Sat?

kimbers

Thick thin chainring is where the magic happens, clutch mechs keep things quiet

Ive got a raceface 30t narrow/wide and a sram clutch mech and on its first outing to bpw never lost the chain once, despite ploughing through the rockgardens with minimal skill, previously on the gentler afan with clutch only, 2×10 and a front mech i dropped it several times.

matther01
    Free Member

Works components narrow wide £35…just waiting for a 34t black to come back into stock

clubber
    Free Member

Check out my link above then, Matt..

Jeffus
    Free Member

I had a Shadowplus mech and a E-13 single ring with an MRPx1 guide on my Spearfish dropped the chain once, in the 3 months I had the bike.

matther01
    Free Member

Cheers clubber – balls…im actually after 32T and theyre out of stock too!

weeksy

I’m going to go slightly against the grain and stay a bit more old school for short term and run an E-13 XCX-ST from Njee. It’s the lowest cost short term option and potentially the most likely to keep the chain on the best.

birdage

I use an old XT 9 speed rapid rise rear mech with a stainless steel surly ring for my 10 speed set-up. Also got an N-gear stop. Mostly trail riding and the chain has only ever come off on the road!

Rickos
    Free Member

If you’ve got a bash ring already then a Raidium guide works well for £20. It fits onto the granny ring tabs and forms a sandwich with the bash ring in an old school DH chain guide way. You’d need to check that it wouldn’t rub on your chainstay though. It rubbed my BFe but worked on my Chameleon and is fine on my suspension bikes. Oh yeah, for 32 tooth rings only though.

http://www.raidiumchainguide.co.uk

EDIT – oops, just noticed you’re going for second hand.

weeksy

No need to apologise, you can never have too much information.

Mackem

If you want to try a plate sandwich, then I have a 32T sized innner and outer bash from http://bbgbashguard.com/

you can have them for just the postage. Call it 10 euros.

Although, I recommend just getting a thick/thin ring. Nice and stealthy looking and just works. FWIW I run a 30T Wolftooth ring with a Zee mech. I’ve never dropped the chain with this combo.

weeksy

Mackem – Member

If you want to try a plate sandwich, then I have a 32T sized innner and outer bash from http://bbgbashguard.com/

you can have them for just the postage. Call it 10 euros.

Although, I recommend just getting a thick/thin ring. Nice and stealthy looking and just works. FWIW I run a 30T Wolftooth ring with a Zee mech. I’ve never dropped the chain with this combo

Thank you for the offer, but considering I’ve bought the XCX-ST it would be unfair as it may end up sitting in a box for a year until I bothered trying it. Someone else is likely to be more worthy of that offer than me,

weeksy

I received and fitted the E-13 XCX-ST chainguide and TBH it’s about 1000 times better than the Superstar one. It’s solid, static and happy. Looking forward to testing it once I have some chainring bolts and a new set of forks as mine are boxed up and ready to go.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘1X 10 discussions/options… yes i know we've done these… a bit’ is closed to new replies.