Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • 1st time roadie. Where to carry my spares?
  • matts
    Free Member

Depends what sort of ride I’m on.

On the daily commuter, I have a spare tube, levers, and a multitool stashed in a small BBB storage bottle.

On my race bike, I have a Continental tube bag with tube, levers, and a mini multitool:

I have the saddle bag on the race bike as I want 2 bottles. The bottle storage on the commuter as I use a large Ortlieb saddle bag to carry my clothes. I don’t put the spares in my daily bag to avoid accidentally forgetting them.

Both bikes have a mini pump on the bottle bosses.

Anything else goes in pockets.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Nice to finally see someone adhering to the rules!

Better than that, only 1 bottle cage. The other goes in the jersey (if it’s that hot then there’s no need for layers).

Saddle bags and pumps aren’t in the rules though. I just CBA searching for their contents every time I want to go out so they live on the bike.

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – small enough not to upset the look too much, and you really don’t need to carry more on a normal road ride.

Haze

Tube, levers, glueless patches, CO2, energy bar and/or gel for emergencies. Phone, card & money.

All in pockets.

Don’t bother with a multi-tool, just stuff I need to sort punctures. Anything else is likely to be terminal…

TiRed

Oh all right, I’ll post it again…

I now carry an Elite tool bottle that holds a minipump, two CO2, a multitool, two tubes and some patches.

On my race bike (as in when racing like yesterday), I carry an 80mm tube and a C02 in a back pocket with food. I make sure I can take the tyres off without levers before needing to try by the roadside!

onandon
    Free Member

I use a scicon elan 210. It’s a saddle bag but I use the Velcro to hold the pump and put it in my left jersey pocket.
    I have one of these set up for each of my bikes. Fifferent size tubes etc in each with two quick links of the correct size and puncture kits.

Middle picket I use a back bottle and right picket for a small glasses cloth and gels – depending on distance.
    That’s usually anything from local to 60 miles.

On the bar I have my phone and in the case lives £40.

cheers_drive

It-s a good job you put the Scicon Elan bag in your pocket – the strap is crap and caused me to lose the bag and contants. Now have a Lezyne road caddy which is ace.
    Have gone from large bag > small bag > Jersey pockets > micro bag on the summer bike. Yes the aesthetic of the bike when leaned artfully against the wall was better sans bag but once I sat on it, especially with budging back pockets that paled in to insignificance.
    Only once in 8 years have I needed to use an allen key and once a chain breaker so now only carry a really small Mt Zoom tool which saves loads of space.
    Small bag on the winter bike as the I’d rather have extra spares to get me home when it’s cold and wet

onandon
    Free Member

The straps fine if you use it correctly. I used one on an MTB for over 4 years without issue.

mooman
    Free Member

Depending how far your riding; less than 30 miles …pump, tyre levers, tube, phone … all in jersey pockets.
    More than 30 miles … as above, and another tube, multi-tool, money, food.

I also carry couple pieces of 2″x1″ (from plastic milk carton) strips just in case I rip the tyre.

WTF
    Free Member

Use one of these saddle packs with tube, patches, tyre levers, chain link and tool.
    Also carry in back pockets pump, phone, money, rain jacket, another spare tube ( twice I have had two punctures at same time ) and some food depending on how far I am going.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I use the same bike for short evening rides to 200+km Audax so have a medium sized saddlebag with 2xtubes,tyre levers,chain tool,patches,inflator & 2 CO2 canisters.
    Pump on the frame, Exposure flash/flare lights permanently attached & two bottle cages.
    Wind/rain jacket or gilet (depending on weather forecast), food,wallet & phone in jersey pockets.
    On a long ride (100 + miles) I’ll use a top tube bag for extra food etc.

maccruiskeen

Soooo,what saddle bag

Ortleib classic saddle bag. Roll top design means its as big or small as you want it to be. It its smallest you can a shell and spare gubbins in there for better weather or expand it for more clothing options if you’re out in more changeable weather. I find in winter its not what you need to take with you thats an issue as what you end up taking off mid ride. At its max I can jam a tool kit and jacket and a change of (size 13) shoes in there along with wallet and phone and a packet of haribo when I ride up to Glasgow to see my mum on a sunday. They’re also very good at keeping road spray off your arse

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Pump on bike, everything else in one of these in the jersey pocket.

Sticky Pod Small

lunge

Decathlon for a bag, as small as I can get away with, this one gets all I need in. I can also fit a light on to the back. Sorted.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-bike-saddle-bag-black-04l-id_8354447.html

mattbee

Cyckit semi rigid thing for me, clamshell design that bolts to saddle rails and is really compact & inobtrusive.
    Not the cheapest mind you.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘1st time roadie. Where to carry my spares?’ is closed to new replies.