Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 1st time caravan
  • lord
    Free Member

thinking of trying caravaning , dont know anything about them but fancy trying it , 2 adults 2 kids , any pointers what to avoid , look for with a second hand caravan ? cheers

Trekster

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/
    1st thing is car to caravan weight ratio it would seem.
    Just bought one and waiting for some good weather and time to use it. Should be spending some time down the Lakes this year 😆
    You will need to factor in AL THE EXTRAS to your van costs.
    Gas, electric cable, water containers, awnings, security, insurance, nose weight gauge, leveling block/wheel chocks, wheel security clamps whole list of hidden costs.
    Also depends on when you passed your driving test on whether you need to do a van towing course, details on that site somewhere or DVLA site.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Try autotrader for a caravan. All the ones we viewed were very good compared to at a dealers.

Our first caravan came off a family who were giving up caravanning, teenage kids! So we got the lot, awning, gas bottle, water containers etc. That made things easy
    We’ve recently sold it for a newer caravan.

Best advice is to go to a large dealers and sit in as many as you can to decide what layout you’d prefer. Then look on autotrader for a caravan that fits. Our first caravan had an end washroom with full size shower. The shower hardly got used as we always used the site facilities. In hindsight it was the wrong layout for us as the shower basically got used as a cupboard.

As with anything, make sure you are shown everything working before you buy

We love caravanning and I never thought I’d say that!

joeegg
    Free Member

If you’re looking at secondhand caravans watch out for damp in the walls and delamination in the floor(feels like its sprung).Delamination can be cured but damp in the walls could technically right off a caravan.Look at the mastic sealant on the caravan body to see that its not been bodged up.Check that the fridge is working on all the settings as these can be expensive to replace.
    Buying privately means that you may get all the extras thrown in.
    Don’t buy a caravan bigger than you need as it will cost you more to tow(especially with fuel prices as they are).If its got a hitch head stabiliser so much the better,but if its an Alko then you’ll need the correct ball for it.
    I’m off to the Pyrenees with mine in a couple of months and i can’t wait to get on the road.

joeegg
    Free Member

Oh,it should be CRIS registered as well,like a log book,and stay away from twin axle vans as the Gypsies love to steal them(some campsites in France won’t accept them because of the Gypsy link).

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d say avoid dealers – they really crank up the prices.

Also possibly avoid ebay or be very wary – a lot of absolute crap on their being sold by extremely dodgy geezers.

When checking out vans use your nose when you step inside – if it smells funny, it’s probably damp and is hence no good. Also if the floor is soft it could be water ingress also so you need to be wary of that. Look in the backs of cupboards, under the kitchen units and in the back of the storage areas under the seats – water can come in in the corners like this so you’ll see it either on the carpet or the ‘wallpaper’.

Also learn how to read the date markings on tyres. Everyone says ‘oh these tyres are fine, loads of tread left’ but caravans never wear out tread. The issue is age – after 5 years or so the tyres are no longer safe, so you’ll need new ones. Note that caravan tyres are commercial vehicle (ie van) ones marked with a C and cost more than car ones – it’s cos they take a higher load.

Check the hitch damper too – the hitch should push in and out but really stiffly. If it goes easily it might need more grease, if there’s no resistance at all then the damper’s probably gone, but it is replaceable.

Also check the rubber in the suspension. Have someone go inside and stand in the middle, then raise the legs and have them jump up and down a bit. The suspension should bounce as you’d expect.

Look for damp patches near windows as this indicates a leak (of course).

Other than that, just check everything works.

Expect to pay 2-3k for a reasonably sound 4 berth, but don’t restrict your search to only 4 since there are many more vans at 5 or 6 berth that are still ideal for 4.

When matching up your car, the figure you want is MTPLM – maximum technical permissible laden weight. So that’s the weight of the van plus max rated payload. This should not be more than your car’s actual weight (or as some would say not more than 85% of your car’s actual weight, but that’s up for debate).

Older vans are lighter than newer ones, and older cars are also lighter than newer ones. A modern big car might be 1400kg, smaller car 1200kg. An older van might only be 1200kg MTPLM and a newer van 1450kg or so. You don’t need a big truck or anything, and if you get an older van you could still get away with a Golf/Focus etc sized car.

What car do you have, and what’s your budget?

(I love vicarious shopping.. I am coveting a new van but it has to wait 🙁 )

wwaswas

things to consider;

1) will you use site facilities (loos, showers etc) or are you likely to stay places without those or want your own. If it’s you want to use your own looka t somethign with an end bathrrom and a separate shower. IF you want to just use your own loo then one of the ‘cupboard’ type ones where the shower is virtually over the sink is ok.

2) awning – unless you’re planning on staying places for a week or more I wouldn;t bother – other than giving extra storage we never really used our awning much – we ended up with a porch awning to give somewhere to store wet boots and hang up wetsuits to dry.

3) sleeping accom – the ones where the ‘dinette’ has a fold up bunk bed are fine for kids upto about 8 or 9 but they’re not suitable for larger kids (or very small ones).

I’ll post up more as I think of them.

we had a couple of Bailey Rangers (from new) and would recommend them for ‘family’ use.

Roblilly
    Free Member

I really fancy an Airstream! tell me I’m crazy…..

wwaswas

Airstreams look great, weigh several tonnes and, when you look at the layouts etc, aren’t actually that practical for more than 2 people to occupy. Oh and if you get a US import you need an hgv licence to tow them as they’re so wide…

Roblilly
    Free Member

Thanks! don’t want one now, You have just saved me money!!

lord
    Free Member

thanks for the advice chaps

lord
    Free Member

molgrips its a 1.8 zafira cheers

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Do you have beige elastic waisted trousers?

Raindog
    Free Member

You selling yours TJ ?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

RANGER

Untitled by paulosoxo, on Flickr

xiphon
    Free Member

LOL @ caravan owners!

Oxboy
    Free Member

If you find a van you like use this link http://www.whattowcar.com/ to see if your car can tow it o.k.

One thing to remember about buying from a dealer is, they have usually been checked thoroughly and mended if anything is wrong with them, they sometimes service them too.
    Also you get a warranty which is nice to have.

Good luck, I too never thought I would enjoy ‘vanning’ but we love it!

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Dont beleive the hype about being able ‘ to just go away at a moments notice’ – we found it to a be a logistical minefield and many sites can be expensive if you want the hook up, decent toilet block etc

Cant say I was unhappy to sell ours but am glad we did it when the kids were very young

Getting stuck in a cornish lane with nowhere to turn is so much fun!

spooky_b329

Getting stuck is part of the fun…took our horse box down a single track road to meet a farmer last week so we could buy hay. I had doubts about the ancient wooden plank bridge with a 2 ton limit as I weigh 4.5t empty and 6.3t laden, apparently he takes 20t over it regularly 😯 At least its been repaired recently…

Anyway, end of lane is a dead end with a locked level crossing, so I ended up reversing the box through a farmers gate into a field, a bit rushed as the cows looked like they wanted to escape 🙂

Gf always expects to get stuck but I just see it as good practice, I’ve only once wedged myself, between a muckheap and a barn. Luckily you can drive onto muckheaps to get a couple of extra feet for manoeuvring.

If you are organised and keep the caravan ready-to-go they can be good for impulsive weekends away, but as soon as you have to store the ‘van away from home it becomes a bit more difficult due having to collect it, cutting down the waist high stingers that have grown in the last six weeks, washing the algae off, re-stocking etc etc.

molgrips
    Free Member

Dont beleive the hype about being able ‘ to just go away at a moments notice’ – we found it to a be a logistical minefield

It needn’t be. We went away just after Christmas. Googled for a site, quick phone call, quick shop, off. Van stays packed with plates, dishes, non-perishables etc.

Bought my first one last week – currently sat in it in Huntingdon whilst working away from home. I got a good deal (private sale), with gas bbq, awning, aquaroll, tv/dvd, freeview, twin gas bottles, microwave, kettle, utensils etc plus loads more. I have found a few faults with it though, but most are minor and can be fixed easily enough.

The interior is spot on, with L shaped lounge, 4 beds (2 bunk), end kitchen and separate shower & bathrooms. Managed to find plenty of sites easy enough, although the first one I stayed on this week was a bit poor and due to no phone/internet reception, I sacked it off. The new site seems loads better on first impression.

Towing something so big is a new experience and fuel economy has dropped from 30mpg to around 23mpg in my truck. I can reverse ok, but have nearly got in a spot of bother when turning the same way as the van to straighten up and found that the turning circle of my truck wouldn’t quite match the arc of the van. The whole thing comes in at 13mtrs when hitched up.

Enjoying it so far and looking forward to the Gower, Lakes & France with the family this year.

spooky_b329

Nice van 🙂 Seems quite long for a single axle, maybe just the angle of the pic.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only 18 foot according to teh internets.

But yes – nice, and I am jealous.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I saw an enormous caravan the other day, virtually a double decker, being pushed by a Fiat Panda of all things.

takisawa2

Ours.
    04′ Swift Challenger. Bit heavy,(1500kg), but well made. Full size shower that’s spot on. Mondeo is a great tow-car, but the Galaxy we have does a better job.

03102009046 by pten2106, on Flickr

Check your Zafira’s handbook, I think its only the 150hp diesel model that can pull up to 1500kg, the others are limited to about 1200 IIRC.
    Ukcampsite is the place for caravan info, plenty of buffs on there.
    Sooner be in our caravan than some ransid £600 a week chalet, but each to their own. Kids absolutely love it.

molgrips
    Free Member

Kids absolutely love it

I don’t think there’s a kid in the world under 10 that wouldn’t!

molgrips – Member
    Only 18 foot according to teh internets.

But yes – nice, and I am jealous.

18’7″ internal (but feels a lot bigger)
    24’1″ total towing length

It has a few marks on the outside tbh, but looks great if you squint – I paid £5750, which seems like a fair price for a 2003 model. I’ve seen them at a dealer with no extras for £6k and as high as £8k with some of the extras I got.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s decent.

Struggling to justify the (future) purchase of a brand new van, other than the sheer luxury of it.

Trekster

Fendt by john_henry_mtb, on Flickr
    My first foray into `vaning, still to find time to get out but easter school hols are a definite with grand kids.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is that a European van?

Some inside pics – although there are better online – bit of a scruffy man-pad atm

Sliding door inbetween lounge & kitchen is a nice touch to keep it cosy

and not looking quite as long

The first site I stayed on, I was parked next to this….. Jeepers Creepers anyone?

It was in a very dark, secluded field, with no-one else around (apart from the ‘thing’ in the truck that was going to kill me horribly at some point). Captain Bob didn’t really fill me with a sense of wellbeing either…..

Believe me, it was a lot scarier at dusk!

molgrips
    Free Member

STR – are you staying in it whilst working away or something?

Yup mate – costs me a similar amount (if not more – which for a patch of grass, some electric and a shower block is scandalous) than staying in digs, but the thinking is, that rather than going to the pub for an evening meal and the garage for lunch, I can cook for myself and save money that way, which will more than justify the purchase.

I don’t think I’ll stick it in Winter though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What the site like with you turning up in a commercial vehicle? Had any bother? I’ve read plenty of places get a bit funny if you are tuning up in a van / pickup / work vehicle.

I ask beforehand – only been on two so far and they’ve been fine.

The current one is really nice, but has quite a few Hobby type twin axles permanently sited. Thought I’d arrived on the local travelling community site, but apparently they are all contractors – there’s a lot of families there too though.

My chevrons on the back are magnetic in any case, so I can make the truck look less conspicuous.

molgrips
    Free Member

We pay a fortune for rent in Munich, so we did consider putting the money into a loan to buy a caravan instead and staying in that. The problem with that though was that we had no idea how to arrange a discount site/farmer’s field for 6 months…

To be honest I’d rather be in my own caravan than someone else’s flat, especially with a kid getting stuff dirty and/or breaking stuff.

Trekster

molgrips – Member
    Is that a European van?

Believe it is, made in Germany. Fendt, now part of the Hobby empire. Not being door position savy we did not notice the door is on the “wrong” side ❗
    We had been looking around for a while and this one came up on budget complete with awning, wheel lock and a few other bits`n pieces and in fully serviced and immaculate condition.
    First outing will be in April. Had hoped to have been out before then but I work shifts and wife has had lots of meetings to attend so getting away mid week so far has been difficult.

molgrips
    Free Member

Lots of positives to Euro vans apparently. In Germany you can only go 90km/h instead of 100km/h if you don’t have shock absorbers, so all their vans have them. Plus (apparently) they have longer A frames so are more stable.

As it happens, where we park our van fits much better with the A frame at one end of the spot, which puts the door right up against the wall of the house. If we had a European van we would not have this problem 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘1st time caravan’ is closed to new replies.