Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 1st service 1st damage
  • Tony.w
    Free Member

Just picked up my wife’s 2 month old immaculate Cube AMS after the first free service didn’t notice till got home that there were deep chips/scratches (to the frame) almost like a chain wheel pattern on the down tube and under the down tube another which had pulled & ripped away the stone chip transfer protector 😯 . The guy in the shop wasn't that helpful with me stating that the bike is dirty and they could have been done before so I had to unleash the wife and she has really kicked ass. They have the bike now and are looking at what to do but what do they do is it our word against his, will they just bodge it ?? How far do you go with it?

I must stress that this wasn't a cheap bike and the wife treats it like a baby same as all her other bikes.

Anyone had any experience like this

Tony

tragically1969
    Free Member

This is the exact reason i do all my own serviceng where i can, free or not.

I suspect if you are nice and reaonable with them you may get sorted but they will only cover it up, what else can they do ?

singlespeedstu

It's two months old and has no paint chips or scratches.

Does she not ride it.

argyle
    Free Member

name and shame!

Jimbo
    Free Member

…stating that the bike is dirty and they could have been done before…

Well?

mah05
    Free Member

i try to avoid bike shops if i can for that very reason. i put a brand new pair of ec70 monkeylites on my bike the day before i had pivot bearings replaced in a shop. they come back scratched they never owned up was just my word against theirs

zaskar
    Free Member

My roadbike has had the seat tube clamped when the fork was replaced and is full scratches.

Well it'll get some more as I'm training on it all year round till I get it resprayed.

I'd be miffed at scratches on a new bike but chips? how did that happen?

kiwi_stu
    Free Member

Some shop monkey mis-treating it likely…

Offroading
    Free Member

Same happened to me a few years back, bike went in for a quicky service came out with more damage to it than i've managed in years of riding the thing. Was not a happy bunny. Some mechanics are good and i do appreciate they are pressed for time etc but a lot are just clueless unskilled monkeys who couldn't give a hoot.

njee20
    Free Member

You may love your bike and treasure it, but to a shop it's just another bike in the way. Most damage happens over night when they stack the bikes. Having worked in a shop for 9 years I wouldn't want to leave mine over night! Ask them to hang it up or something next time, don't assume they'll take the same pride you do sadly.

saladdodger
    Free Member

DIY its only a bloody push bike

my complaints department has no corrispondants 😉

cullen-bay
    Free Member

why would you put a dirty bike into the shop. show some respect

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

helitape

Offroading
    Free Member

Must be a personal thing, when we get a car in at the garage no matter it be a ned tastic Nova or whatever it gets looked after, at the end of the day it's a customer and if your damage it you loose them and anyone they could potentially speak too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

take more care over other peoples bikes than i do my own in the shop tbh – our repairs are all hung by the front wheel.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If I ever have to put my bike into a shop I always make sure it's spotless.

1) Its easier for the mechanics to work on it
    2) It shows it is looked after so they are more likely to treat it with respect
    3) They know it is likely any damage will be noticed

theboatman
    Free Member

stating that the bike is dirty and they (the scratches)could have been done before

and

the wife treats it like a baby

Like baby P, by the sounds of it 😉

scaredypants

Must be a personal thing, when we get a car in at the garage no matter it be a ned tastic Nova or whatever it gets looked after, at the end of the day it's a customer and if your damage it you loose them and anyone they could potentially speak too.

few years ago my brother's car was all but (sadly, not quite) written off when one of the "lads" drove it into a wall. Found out later that they routinely thrashed any sporty car round the premises against the clock.

Tony.w
    Free Member

Thanks for the input

See what comes next

Baby P ?????????????? one twisted mother

epicyclo

If the bike was dirty, how do you know the damage wasn't there already and covered by the dirt?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Dirty bikes are a pain to bike shop staff. They make your bike harder to work on, hide problems and sometimes cause others. It also makes it really unpleasant- imagine doing your job with your computer covered in filth.

And in our shop bikes that come in are treated exceptionally unless they're practically a wreck. Any bike worth over about £500 goes in the basement. Carbon road bikes get hung up with the new bikes to keep them safe.

Toddboy
    Free Member

If your wife's bike is dirty, and she treats it like a baby…….I hope you don't have kids, 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘1st service 1st damage’ is closed to new replies.