Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1st Self Build
  • JimBowen
    Free Member

Bought a new hard tail frame and due to my fiscal state i decided to transfer the components from my other bike to save some dollar.

LBS quoted me £60 to carryout the work for me, which i thought was quite reasonable, but i decided to have a go myself.

An hour an a half last night and i'm up to a stage where all that is left to do is the front and rear mechs and the chain.

All this with a set of allen keys and a bottom bracket spanner (which i borrowed of my old man) and i've exceeded my own expectations.

I have vowed to try to do more maintenance, servicing and repairs myself rather than take it to the LBS and pay them for the pleasure after all it's not rocket science is it 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cool: Its a great feeling building your own – have done it a few times 😳

BigDummy
    Free Member

Good work. It is indeed not rocket science.

That said, having not vast amounts of time and plenty of money there are times when I am very happy to leave jobs I don't much fancy with someone who does it a lot. 🙂

stompy

it's not rocket science is it

Nope it's bike science 😐

Got any pics??

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well done mate! Spend the money you would have spent at the shop on tools, and very soon you'll have 99% of what you'll ever need, and you no longer have the bother of taking it into a shop when something goes wrong 🙂

JimBowen
    Free Member

yeah it's definately not rocket science, just about patience, having the tools and being able to follow manuals and instructions which can be obtained over the internet easily.

Will invest in some tools and a workstand instead of using a cymbal stand from my drumkit as a make shift work stand.

The sense of self pride is great too 😀

will post some pics when completed (hopefully tonight!)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1st Self Build’ is closed to new replies.