Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • 1st road race tonight and I'm very nervous.
  • MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I have my first closed circuit road race tonight and very nervous. I raced mountain bike and cyclocross and never felt like this with those races.

I’m aware of half wheeling, holding line, no sudden change of direction etc and used to riding in chain gangs but this is a whole new experience for me.

So, to ease my mind, give me some stories of your first road race experiences and how you approached it? Aim of the night is to not get spat out of the back. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Aim of the night is to not get spat out of the back.

Then ride in the front 10 or so. It’s far easier up at the front, so get there and stay there.

FuzzyWuzzy

First race when it’s wet and windy? You’ll be fine! 😉

Basically it will probably seem like a sprint to start with and you’ll go deep into the red staying with the bunch but worth it as if you ease off and go out the back you won’t be getting back on.

I think the biggest thing for me was getting jostled from both sides (rubbing shoulders etc.) as you never really experience that outside of racing, you just need to stay relaxed though.

Oh and watch out for wheels coming back at you on climbs as in a race people don’t care who’s behind whereas on a club run people often but a hard pedal stroke in before standing to avoid this effect.

Finally, assume everyone else is a muppet that can’t ride a bike for toffee (although don’t tense up as a result :p ). Especially when it comes to holding a line around corners, even if you do it’s unlikely everyone will (especially in a lower cat race).

RealMan
    Free Member

My first crit I punctured on the start line. Quick wheel change, then just cruised around near the front until the bell went for 3 laps to go, at which point I got another puncture. Had a lap out, cruised round at the back unable to make my way forward. Crits can be pretty easy if you just sit in.

Recently I’ve been attacking off the start line (good trackstand). Gets you nice and warmed up and puts the entire field under pressure from the word go.

Pay attention to what you’re doing, and what the people around you are doing. Hold your line, don’t go off/on the front unless you know the way. Also half wheeling isn’t really an issue in racing.

Where is it?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Good thing about it is I’ll have about 3-4 other team mates with me, all cat 3 and have experience.

Not worried about fitness as I train with them and can hold my own, plus racing mtb and cx has kept my fitness at a decent level.

Race is 50 minutes plus 1 lap and is at Thruxton. Know the track well as I used to train there.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

My advice is warm up for 40 mins before the race.

RealMan
    Free Member

My advice is warm up for 40 mins before the race.

That’s nuts, 20 minutes is more then enough. 10 minutes is perfect.

Good that you’ve got your team mates with you. Watch the chicane.

dave360

Don’t chase the breaks, even though your adrenaline will want you to.
    Like they said up there, try to sit in the bunch somewhere in the first 20, look around at what other people are doing and learn learn learn. And don’t worry about it if you do get spat out, just freewheel for a lap and try to get back on when they come round again.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Relax and have fun. Try to get yourself on the front of the start line. It may start quick and gives you a better chance of hanging on over the first lap or 2. Don’t make any sudden moves and let people know you are there if you think they are about to move over on you. Most of the 3/4 races aren’t too aggressive just watch out for the odd numpty. Biggest lesson for me in my first race was to make sure you are always going forward. It really is VERY easy to find yourself at the back and its the hardest place to be and easy to lose that last wheel. if the aim is to finish in the bunch just back off on the last lap slightly. Its the guys who are racing for 15th-20th position where often the crashes happen ( can never see why they do it as no points on offer after 10th)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

RM, why am I not surprised that you cheat….

OP generally good advice above and I will add that finding the wheel of a rider you feel confident in following and staying there really helps.

Good luck and enjoy it!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

What about fuelling?

Generally for a race I would have a bowl of porridge a few hours before and gels when needed but that’s for mountain biking. Worth munching on a gel before?

slowjo
    Free Member

In my first road race I kept up in the first dozen or so riders, held my line through corners, stuck to the rules, kept my nose clean and did really well.

Then the neutralised zone finished and I was shelled out the back in minutes. I rode my nuts off to get back on terms; when I rejoined the bunch, someone at the front picked up the pace and that was it, game over. I never know people could ride so quick! I had spent years time trialling and thought I knew a thing or two about making a road bike go fast but I was wrong.

Humbled, I had a lonely ride back to the HQ.

Good luck for tonight btw!

dave360

yea, a gel 10 mins before the off plus a bottle of carb drink in the couple of hours leading up to it. And clenbuterol and pseudoephedine natch 😉

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Dave360, should be okay as I’m having spanish beef for lunch. 😀

mooman
    Free Member

Good luck.

I been thinking of having a go myself. Now though, after reading all this advice … kinda scared me off!

A friend of mine recently entered his first crit.
    He is a very fit guy – but only lasted 12mins before retiring.
    Hardest part he said was some of the riders shouldering you out of the way ..

MikeWW
    Free Member

If you do a bit of training it isn’t too hard. I was smoking 20 cigs a day up until 5 years ago and hadn’t done any exercise for years. Bought a road bike at 47 and am 3rd cat now. Isn’t anything to be scared about-worst that can happen is you get dropped. If you do just do a bit more training and have another go. It is the change of pace that takes a bit of getting used to. Races average about 24 mph but it is rare you go at this speed. Its either 28-32 mph or 18-20 mph. So you need to follow a good wheel, hang in and then recover

jonba
    Free Member

If you are not moving forwards (up the group) you are going backwards and will eventually be spat out the back. Just following a wheel will see you sat at the back of the bunch so loko for opportunities to move up.

Being near the front is better.

crazy-legs

Not worried about fitness as I train with them and can hold my own, plus racing mtb and cx has kept my fitness at a decent level.

Fitness will get you a certain way, technique is far more important in crit racing. Holding wheels, positioning within the bunch, knowing how to hold your line through the corners, gear choice for the sprint out of them etc. That comes with practice but if you can manage to start somewhere up near the front, that’ll help.

If you find yourself at/near the back, it’s worth using everything you can to get back up into the bunch then sit in and recover. Off the back isn’t the place to be!

Good luck!

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

IME a crit seems like a constant sprint, brake for corners, sprint, brake and repeat for 45/50mins of hell. The speed off the start line (where the sprinters usually are) is incredible. I take a few energy chews before a crit – not that i need the fuel for 45/50mins i’m racing for, but i like the quick hit energy chews give me for that sudden blast off the start line, and it focuses my mind too.

Experience is everything – i’m new to road racing this season and have done more road races than crits so I’m better at road racing (helps that i prefer road racing too). I’m able to keep up with the bunch but my lack of experience shows ie i lose energy trying to work out where to be in the bunch, getting squeezed out of my line by blokes who don’t like a girl getting in front of them etc. Ride on the drops, pay attention to those around you and expect crashes if its a tight circuit. Warm up well – i rode out to my crit race last night (about 30mins) plus i did a good 10-15min warm of sprints to get my hr up properly.

RealMan
    Free Member

Sorry, what?

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Don’t know if this has been said already but first of all…well done for deciding to go for it! Loads of roadies seem to think about it and get put off…not many have the bottle to actually go for it, so respect to you for that much!

Secondly, nerves are a fear of the unknown and a fear of being ‘out of control’, you can help get things back under control by maximising your control over things you can influence…things like getting to the start on time, staying hydrated, eating on time, taking the right kit for the conditions, riding the course a couple of times before the race begins etc etc. You are likely to find that by doing these things, your nerves ease as you narrow down the things to worry about.

If they start to really become a problem take five minutes, find a quiet corner (your car is a good place…), close your eyes and empty your mind. Concentrate on relaxing each muscle group, starting with your finger tips and working back towards the center of your body.

Finally…enjoy it!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thruxton, blimey takes me back nearly 40 years – ouch !

Are you racing round the motor circuit ?

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Yes, the circuit.

It’s not too bad to ride on. *The start to church corner in incredibly fast but as you come round and hit Woodham Hill you are greeted with a block head wind up to the chicane and you’re still climbing to almost the start/ finish. Only a 4% rise but with the wind and fast pace it hurts like hell.

*Experience gained from training but not racing.

singletrackmind

Hope it stays dry for you. Im at 24/12 slogging through the rain and mud with Team BH.
    You should be OK . Dont forget to hydrate , and keep the fluids going in .
    Let us know how you get on . our results will be on the www on Monday for the world to see.
    Last year we wrangled a podium by filling the cat , the muted applause was prob due to the fact most people didnt know BH’s history.

velomanic
    Free Member

Good luck and most importantly – enjoy it!

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

So…how did it go?!

allthepies
    Free Member

I think he bottled 🙂

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Yep, according to twitter he bottled it. 🙂

The state of the weather down here, i’m not surprised.

oldgit
    Free Member

If it makes you feel better I got dropped just after the neutral zone in my first race, that was 1975.

Nervous? I used to get nervous when I was getting places. But when you don’t have any real chance of getting up there, there isn’t really much to be nervous about. It’s happy days for me now.
    Slightly different approach to Realman. I get to the front and if someone attacks from the gun then good luck to them, they’re either ****ing good or stupid so I don’t go after them.
    I don’t bother with nosh, it’s hard enough to grab a bottle. I eat and drink well throughout the day, that keeps me going.
    A warm up is about 30/40 minutes or I ride to the race. And my crits are 1 hour plus laps so about 1 hour 20 minutes.
    But TBH I just enjoy my race, I do my bit for the first 50 minutes then sit back and come home with the bunch.
    Basically the reason for the long answer is to point out that it doesn’t have to be an ordeal, and if you have finesse you’ll be fine.

You get the odd ‘Big Bang Theory’ rider i.e they’ve learnt it all on the internet. One muppet nearly took out riders on two occasions by swerving across the corners and just yelled out that he was on the racing line. They get confused with cycling and F1 you see. This is the only thing you have to worry about.

Oggles
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Sorry, what?
    POSTED 9 HOURS AGO #

Probably referring to this RealMan

20.9.1 Riders shall line up not more than two abreast unless it is a closed circuit criterium or the start is off the public highway when the Chief Commissaire shall use his discretion. Riders shall start with one foot on the ground and pushers/holders shall not be permitted.

RealMan
    Free Member

Never even heard of that rule. Can think of races where 90% of the field needs to be disqualified/sanctioned.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Yep, you’re right. 😳 I was nervous enough without having to deal with heavy rain. I’m not the only one who took that decision from what I’ve been told. Condition were dire.

Thankfully it’s a summer series so I’ll have another chance next Friday. 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

Sorry, what?

Lest we forget

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/would-you-accept-10-to-be-silenced-classifieds-feedback

crikey
    Free Member

See, in a 4ths and 3rds UK race of 50 people, there are about 5 who are able to win. There are another 4 or 5 who might win if they get lucky. The rest are filler, cannon fodder if you will.

If it rains, those figures get even smaller because no one likes racing in the rain.

So get to like it, and get winning some points.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Finally got round to racing tonight and have to say all the nerves were for nothing.

It was a perfect warm evening and if I’m honest I felt really comfortable within the peleton. I kept myself toward the front for the whole race, did my turn on the front and even helped chase down an atteck. 😀

On the last lap I still felt strong and got myself into a good position to sprint for some points but my tactical positioning let me down as I was on the inside on the last corner when I should have been on the outside. As a result I had some fool chop my nose off and rather than cause an accident I ran myself off the track and over the rumble strip.

Goal for the race was not to get dropped so I guess it was a success. What I learnt was that I am definitely fit enough and certainly fast enough.

Roll on the next race. 😀

scaredypants

good work

(you ran off the INSIDE of the track after a fast corner ? 😯 )

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I was kind of pushed off. Taking the inside line would put you up against the pit wall in the run up to the finish line. The outside gives you more room.

njee20
    Free Member

But is further – get yourself in front and stick to the inside line, sets you up better.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah can get a bit aggressive at times, got to be confident, and not afraid to hold your line and get stuck in a bit.

Dragged myself to a race the other day, was going well till I got caught in a crash with ~5 minutes to go. Had to chase back on and by the time I got back I was f***ed, so couldn’t get anywhere come the finish.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘1st road race tonight and I'm very nervous.’ is closed to new replies.