Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 1st new build -drivetrain confusion
  • pedlad

I’m watching for bargains on parts for my new build but have some questions. The plan is to build it up 1×10 with hope NW retainer plus a 40t rear cog…..but buy xt 2×10 so if my dodgy knees complain I can retro fit that.

Can I lean on use forums expertise once more…

I guess I need a shadow plus rear derailleur to give me the clutch retaining action?
    I’ve bought the shimano hope 40t cog so am I stuck with shimano cassettes now (as opposed to SRAM?)
    Do I have to use shimano chains on his set up or can I use SRAM?
    Do xtr 10spd shifters work with xt 10 spd rear derailleur?
    Is the I spec b specification to integrate with shimano brakes ? I have hope so am guessing I need bar mount shifter?

Many thanks

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I guess I need a shadow plus rear derailleur to give me the clutch retaining action?

Yes, or SRAM Type 2

I’ve bought the shimano hope 40t cog so am I stuck with shimano cassettes now (as opposed to SRAM?)

Don’t know but I suspect the clue is in the name.

Do I have to use shimano chains on this set up or can I use SRAM?

You can use either.

Do xtr 10spd shifters work with xt 10 spd rear derailleur?

Yes

Is the I spec b specification to integrate with shimano brakes ? I have hope so am guessing I need bar mount shifter?

Don’t know.

pedlad

Thanks. Re.the hope 40t I didn’t know if the “shimano” referred to the compatibility with the rest of the cassette or the free hub body type.

Any thoughts on this I spec b malarkey anyone?

Edit and also what’s the “normal”crank length? I170 or 175? Ive never specified this myself on a bike before.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

The freehub body is pretty standard until you go 11 speed or back to 7 speed so I think it refers to the cassette construction. NB, just to confirm – 10sp SRAM/Shimano rear mechs/shifters aren’t interchangable – but you knew that. 8)

honourablegeorge

Newer Hopes (Tech 3) will mate to an I-Spec shifter, but you’d need to check about Spec A/B

pedlad

Ok great info ta.

Looking at ribble for a good price on the group set but they’ve specified a RD “sgs direct mount”

CRC just talk about m786 either medium or long cage….?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘1st new build -drivetrain confusion’ is closed to new replies.